Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burned by Tesla on idle fees. Something to know

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla instituted 40 cents per minute fees some time ago to alleviate congestion. People leaving cars there.

well, I travel from MI down south a lot. In the midwest there is rarely anyone at a supercharger. So I left my car plugged in overnight while I slept (save an hour of trip time). I did this knowing there is never anyone at the station.

Tesla sent me a bill. I'm like 'that's impossible' no way that station got full in the night. (i was only one there in the morning too)
So I read policy and Tesla changed it from SC station full to 50% full. I didn't know this. I have my doubts that it ever got 50% full but it's something to know if you plan on leaving it plugged in at a deserted station.

[Moderator note: Corrected "40 cents per hour" to "40 cents per minute".]

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't leave your car at a supercharger if it's not charging, period.
While I get your directive in theory (don't occupy a supercharging spot and potentially prevent someone from a needed charge), even Tesla has endorsed the use of the SC spots by non-Tesla's. Many Superchargers have "general parking" permitted signs presumably due to requirements of the lot owner not wanting to give up too much parking for other customers. The OP made the reasonable assumption that at a Supercharger with no-one else charging he would likely be ok leaving the car overnight and not prevent another Tesla from charging or incur any idling fees. Could always leave your contact info in the windshield if someone needs a charge I suppose but probably better just to move the car after it has reached the desired SOC.

While I get your directive in theory (don't occupy a supercharging spot and potentially prevent someone from a needed charge), even Tesla has endorsed the use of the SC spots by non-Tesla's. Many Superchargers have "general parking" permitted signs presumably due to requirements of the lot owner not wanting to give up too much parking for other customers. The OP made the reasonable assumption that at a Supercharger with no-one else charging he would likely be ok leaving the car overnight and not prevent another Tesla from charging or incur any idling fees. Could always leave your contact info in the windshield if someone needs a charge I suppose but probably better just to move the car after it has reached the desired SOC.
Don't assume that just because a supercharger location is empty right that second that five more people will not show up in the next 20 minutes. While nobody can control what other people do as far as who is parking there and who is not, you can control your own car. If you are not charging at a supercharger, don't park there, even if there is a sign that says otherwise.

I was charging at the Albert Lea, MN 4 stall SC, that's located in a hotel parking lot, last Sunday night. I had to move my vehicle to the B stall because the other set was only supplying 26kW. The other car was clearly done charging, and I assume left their vehicle parked and connected while they slept.

I hope they, too, received a fee. I had my entire family in the vehicle on our way back from a trip to MO, it was late, and that was our last stop to make it home. Having only one more vehicle charging at that charger would have meant we would probably have added an hour to the 45 min charging stop...assuming the third vehicle would have come back at some point.

I don't care how empty an SC normally is, if you aren't charging, please unplug your car.

"I don't care how empty an SC normally is, if you aren't charging, please unplug your car."

AND MOVE YOUR CAR! Now that we know ahead of our travels, the number of cars in supercharger stations occupied, by parking there, as if it were a parking lot, you are taking space that many of us need - with the advent of the 3's coming eventually, we need to support each other. If not us, no one else will...

AFAIK the policy was always "at least 50% full for idle chargers to begin accruing" -- but I suspect that once they begin accruing they don't stop doing so if say a car or two leave and occupancy drops to below 50% again.

I have left my Model S plugged in overnight at the SC in Santee, SC on my way to and from FL from NYC -- should I undertake said trip again, i will not leave myself plugged in overnight. it will add an hour to my tip but such is life.

Question the fee.
Given that the number of stalls in use given by the car has been reported as unreliable their calculation of the fee would be unreliable.

Still, leaving it sitting is highly undesirable. It's the same logic that could be used by ICErs or non-disabled parkers.