Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burned by Tesla on idle fees. Something to know

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh my... I just read this after falling asleep at a super charger last weekend waiting for it to charge. I pulled in with 10% remaining around 2:30am, next thing I know it's 6am... I didn't do it on purpose and no one else was there when I pulled in and pulled out, but I really hope I don't get a large bill. My phone didn't have any alerts about idle charges.

I get the rules but... I'm just hoping not....

• Funny
Reactions: ModelX and Shateam
Oh my... I just read this after falling asleep at a super charger last weekend waiting for it to charge. I pulled in with 10% remaining around 2:30am, next thing I know it's 6am... I didn't do it on purpose and no one else was there when I pulled in and pulled out, but I really hope I don't get a large bill. My phone didn't have any alerts about idle charges.

Unless the location is deemed to be at least half full at the time your car reaches 80% charged, at which point an alert is pushed, and/or when the charge is complete and a message about idle fees being imminent is pushed, presumably yer in the clear.

However, at $24/hour, that’s a pricey nap so it wouldn’t hurt to call the support line and ask if charges resulted. But from what you’ve described, it would be surprising for charges to have been triggered.

Here is the link to the FAQ ... Supercharger Idle Fee
upload_2018-4-21_8-24-52.png

upload_2018-4-21_8-44-2.png

Last edited:

No idle charges plus you saved on a hotel room.

Double win.....

I was surprised to get a notice about charges on my phone this afternoon. First off, I accidentally had my charge limit set to 50%. I got a notice that my charging was almost done about 5 minutes after I started. I bumped it up to 90%. When it got to 80% I got another notice that it was almost done. I was done checking emails and didn't really need 90% so I changed it from 90 to 80 (where I leave it for home charging) and got out of the car to unplug. In that 30 seconds or so, the app alerted me that it was done charing, followed quickly by a notice that charges were about to incur. That's the first time I recall seeing anything about charges before. Super perplexed though... I was alone at the charger! I was with the car the whole time, and I know not a single other car was there at any point during my stay. Not one. It is an 8 stall and I was the lone car charging the whole time. So I'm not sure that the 50% full thing is very accurate. I've been curious because the in-car charging map often shows stalls in use but when I get there I'm almost always the only one there. Is it averaging over X hours or something?

I was surprised to get a notice about charges on my phone this afternoon. First off, I accidentally had my charge limit set to 50%. I got a notice that my charging was almost done about 5 minutes after I started. I bumped it up to 90%. When it got to 80% I got another notice that it was almost done. I was done checking emails and didn't really need 90% so I changed it from 90 to 80 (where I leave it for home charging) and got out of the car to unplug. In that 30 seconds or so, the app alerted me that it was done charing, followed quickly by a notice that charges were about to incur. That's the first time I recall seeing anything about charges before. Super perplexed though... I was alone at the charger! I was with the car the whole time, and I know not a single other car was there at any point during my stay. Not one. It is an 8 stall and I was the lone car charging the whole time. So I'm not sure that the 50% full thing is very accurate. I've been curious because the in-car charging map often shows stalls in use but when I get there I'm almost always the only one there. Is it averaging over X hours or something?

Are you sure it didn't say "Charges May Occur"?

That's what it tends to tell me unless they've changed it recently.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
I really hope I don't get a large bill. My phone didn't have any alerts about idle charges. I get the rules but... I'm just hoping not....
You can call Tesla and check your account, rather than wait for the surprise on your next service center visit......unless you like surprises.

I was surprised to get a notice about charges on my phone this afternoon. First off, I accidentally had my charge limit set to 50%. I got a notice that my charging was almost done about 5 minutes after I started. I bumped it up to 90%. When it got to 80% I got another notice that it was almost done. I was done checking emails and didn't really need 90% so I changed it from 90 to 80 (where I leave it for home charging) and got out of the car to unplug. In that 30 seconds or so, the app alerted me that it was done charing, followed quickly by a notice that charges were about to incur.
You should have bumped it up to 100, which is what I do if I'm AFK.

Last edited:
Reactions: d21mike
Just back in Toronto from Florida 10 charge stops never had to wait for a spot . Spent the night at a hotel with a super charger adjacent. Charged to 80% moved car then final 20 in morning . This decided where I would stop for the night as I did not want to sleep in car while charging (after 10 hr drive ) then go to hotel ,or walk a mile or so between hotel and charger . I would rather have found a hotel with destination charger and booked it but was unable . Complicating this was I was traveling with a pet ,and Columbia charger was out of service. So if charge move and charge allows me to have no waiting at chargers it seems like idle fees are the best option. I would like to see hotel chains add easily found info that elc charging is available

Bumping from 90 to 100 will get you another hour of time because it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get to 100.
(Rule does not apply to soft limited 60's that are really 75's under the floor, they hit 100 reliably quickly).

Some cars have a hell of a time getting from 99 to 100. This could be a 2 or 3 hour gainer.

Just drive it off as soon as you unplug make sure you're not holding near 100 for any number of hours after the charge.

Bumping from 90 to 100 will get you another hour of time because it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get to 100.
(Rule does not apply to soft limited 60's that are really 75's under the floor, they hit 100 reliably quickly).

Some cars have a hell of a time getting from 99 to 100. This could be a 2 or 3 hour gainer.

Just drive it off as soon as you unplug make sure you're not holding near 100 for any number of hours after the charge.
That's the way to be a team player :rolleyes:

Because I didn't feel it was necessary. There were NO other Teslas. And as a long time owner, I respect the chargers. There were fifteen empty spaces. That's why. And that lot right across the street is a long ways away, actually.

And if I was driving my ICE car at the same time that you mentioned, would it be ok for me to park in the Tesla spots since there was no where else to park? Driving a Tesla does not automatically give you the right to park in SC spots. SC spots are for charging only.

I don't see any difference with your scenario than if you were driving an ICE car. Just because there are no other spots available doesn't mean you can park in a SC spot. Like someone else mentioned, if there are 20 handicap spots and those are the only spots, what do you think would happen if you parked in one of them (I don't think the police would let you off because you are a 'long time' driver and 'respect' handicap spots).

Reactions: MP3Mike
Bump - The Tesla FAQ page on idle fees no longer state that an "additional notification will be will alert you when idle fees are incurred." There is no other way to know whether or not a station is 50% or 100% full from your phone. Looks like there is still a 5 minute grace period for moving your car when charging is done.

Supercharger Idle Fee

How do I know when I’ve incurred an idle fee?
The Tesla mobile app notifies you when charging nears completion and again when charging is complete Idle fees then accrue while the station is at least 50% occupied until your vehicle is moved. Supercharger session details, including idle fees incurred, are available in your Tesla Account after each Supercharger session.

Bump - The Tesla FAQ page on idle fees no longer state that an "additional notification will be will alert you when idle fees are incurred." There is no other way to know whether or not a station is 50% or 100% full from your phone. Looks like there is still a 5 minute grace period for moving your car when charging is done.

Supercharger Idle Fee
How about you just don't use the Supercharger as a parking place. You know how long its going to take to charge, just show up in time to unplug it.

Your app will always be up to date
...except for where there is no cell service, like Baker City, Oregon
Plus, anyone that has Supercharged more than a handful of times will already have a good idea on how long it will take.
...except for when the person who was paired with you unplugs, which increases your charging speed and shortens the time a lot.

Your insistence on trying to view everything as cut and dried is not working well.