Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burning off the AD07's :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my original AD07's are nearing the end of their life... I'm into and past the tire wear marks and watching the inside edge, due to the agressive camber, to gauge when the new AD08's will be put on.... they're just waiting in my garage. I achieved 12k on them so far they, did pretty well for being such a soft compound.

So now is where the fun begins and time to learn about breaking the back end loose on the Roadster. I've been taking the TC (traction control) off and breaking the back end loose around turns 10-30MPH and its a blast. Love snapping the wheels and breaking the back in in a split second. Can't beat the thrill hearing the electric motor wind up in acceleration too!

Looking next for a slick parking lot so I can consistently test different breaking points and how the car reacts with the back end being lost of control and regained. Really want to get that feeling of where that "no point of return" mark is. I think I'll throw a couple of induced ebrake slides as well. Don't know if it'll feel like a graceful skater a heavy tank sliding across an ice rink. Guess I'll see!

Note to self: secure seatbelts and double check the door before attempting "the Drift".:scared:

This reminds me of an incident way back when I was a teenager. It was a nice sunny afternoon and I could here a lot of tire screeching going on. After five minutes or so, I hear a thud. I peek over my back yard fence and see my buddys Volkswagon Bug laying on its side. We were just kids really and he would buy an old car for a hundred bucks and then just drive the thing into the ground. He wouldn't register it or anything. Every few months he would have another car. I was never quite so brazen.

Cheers =)

Last edited:
So I'm at 12.5k and watching the inner camber wear on the AD07's. Having fun. Picked up the Roadster from the Menlo Park Tesla Store and exited sideway's after a front fan shroud and radio booster upgrade.

Traction control == OFF

Tonight found a great 90 degree left turn with a 4 lane opening ( along side of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk) with no parked cars to blast the Roadster sideways. I did 5 runs, getting longer sweeps and faster entries into each entry and exiting of the turn. Final run pulling 35MPH into the 90 degree left swing. I switched into Performance mode and noticed quicker snaps and more control of the rear end. Final run had the longest rear controlled sweep. Found out the Roadster is controllable but discovered it becomes more intense mostly fighting the small steering wheel since majority of the weight at the end of the Roadster and I was jockeying more with the small wheel as I became more committed through the turn. Found best to leave a loose hand and allow the steering wheel to find its balance and place. If you fight or challenge it, intensity will occur. Only chance is entry and first feel of the break of the back end of the Roadster to really have full control and dominance into the turn.

Passenger Onboard == Big Smile

2 runs with the soft top on
3 runs with the soft top off

Best part was that the AD07s slightly squealed, rubber smell yes, engine roar no. Very Very Silent. We could have had fun all night or until the steel belts had shown on the AD07s since there was no loud noise.

Total fun and love knowing the breaking limits of the Roadster.

Last edited:
So I'm at 12.5k and watching the inner camber wear on the AD07's. Having fun. Picked up the Roadster from the Menlo Park Tesla Store and exited sideway's

Well I guess that's one way to avoid bottoming out at the exit (I did my test drive at Menlo... was a bit nervous going out the front).

Kudos for keeping control with all that drifting. That battery pack does make a good pendulum... once it starts to go, it goes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Appears any control of the Roadster is 1/4 into it after that its all correction and overcorrection. From motorcycle riding I've found any driver influence is bad in deciding how to calm things down, best for me is to allow loose hands, no panic, and let the car/bike to find it's "Zen" through the turn and intensity. Had many "gas tank slaps" from Wheelies on motorcycles (without steering dampeners) to understand that. The car/bike will find its balance, don't mess with it and you'll be better off. However if you keep pushing this balance and learn more about it you can take better control of it and guide the car through it better than the loose hand. Just takes practice, patience and time.

Love that video Doug! The entry of the turn and feel of the wheel is your only chance. That small steering wheel whips fast and furious.

Recommend to anyone with tires at the end of life to find open grounds and learn the breaking limits of their car.

Its like Xmas for me. AD08's awaiting in the room next to me and getting the best of the AD07s while I can :)

Yes, the Menlo Park store has a bad exit / dip! Once past that its a great place to go sideways! Missed not having my Roadster for a week so I had to celebrate on my exit. Road slants to the right heading towards Stanford on El Camino Blvd. which makes it fun and predictable.

Longest Red Light in History! Its as if you sit there for ages before it turns green. More reason to let loose when it turns green after clearing the dip.

Last edited: