Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burning wires/plugs in Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if anybody else has experienced anything like this in their 2019 Model 3. Tesla replaced the MCU due to Constant crashes. Car worked great for a week and then the computer started crashing again and with the added bonus of a burning smell. I took it into Tesla and they told me that there were no errors and that the car was safe to take home without ever looking at the car just remote diagnostics from inside the service center. The burning smell continued for another two weeks With crashers. Tesla remote advise said there is nothing they can do because the car has no errors and to wait for something to happen. I did not want to take any chances because I have an infant, so I started looking for Where the burning smell was coming from and Found melted wires and melted plugs coming from the new MCU. Does Tesla really not get concern over burning Smells?

That’s the first I’ve heard of this problem.
Sounds like a faulty unit or connection.
Do you have pictures of the melted wires you saw ?
Is it now in for service ?

Tesla certainly would be concerned about that, but some some reason, they didn’t feel it was valid.
I’m sure once you take it in it will be addressed.
Would love to see the melted wires. Pic’s.

That’s the first I’ve heard of this problem.
Sounds like a faulty unit or connection.
Do you have pictures of the melted wires you saw ?
Is it now in for service ?

Tesla certainly would be concerned about that, but some some reason, they didn’t feel it was valid.
I’m sure once you take it in it will be addressed.
Would love to see the melted wires. Pic’s.

Seems to be a few new members with one post detailing really bad issues. I’m not doubting it but... pics or it didn’t happen.

here are some photos that I took. I think they may have thought the heater was on or something stupid like that.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    469.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 135
here are some photos that I took. I think they may have thought the heater was on or something stupid like that.

Have you tried sending these pictures to Tesla? Or if that is not possible, telling them that you found a melted plug? This seems fairly unsafe. I would think they'd want to get this taken care of. Sometimes you have to beat people up with the facts and evidence before they will take you seriously. Remember they have tons of people coming in complaining about how their AC stinks or complaining about rattles or other inconsequential stuff, so it's easy for serious stuff to get lost in the shuffle.

Reactions: BluestarE3
Have you tried sending these pictures to Tesla? Or if that is not possible, telling them that you found a melted plug? This seems fairly unsafe. I would think they'd want to get this taken care of. Sometimes you have to beat people up with the facts and evidence before they will take you seriously. Remember they have tons of people coming in complaining about how their AC stinks or complaining about rattles or other inconsequential stuff, so it's easy for serious stuff to get lost in the shuffle.
Yes it's back in service now

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Insanely bad customer service. Any complaints of a burning smell in an electric car should be handled with the same attention and caution as someone complaining of a natural gas smell in a building. Unbelievable, and borderline criminal, that they couldn’t even be bothered to look around for any problems and at least confirm the smell.

Way not to go (again) Tesla!