Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burying our head in the sand?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey

I was trying to be a little creative in the title, not very good I know. sorry

I own a 2016 Model S, I've raised issues with all my windows having many (15-20) etched in vertical lines. This really annoys me!

The first time I raised this as part of another thread (i hijacked) everyone claimed this was normal wear and tear. The fact of the matter is ITS NOT! most other cars do not do this not many scratches on all four windows.

I've checked many Model S's and all of them have this issue and I've only ever seen a similar issue on a Mercedes A-class once ever at an Autoglass centre who also said there was nothing normal about the scratches (believe me I look for these lines now on every car I walk past).

I've seen 1 2014 model S cars which didn't have any scratches at all. Which supports the argument that this issue is prominent in 2016+ cars.

Can you check your car and feedback? (car year will be helpful)

The lines are worst directly above the handle on the front-side windows and in the centre of the rear-side windows

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 14.21.41.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 14.21.41.png
    100.9 KB · Views: 100
Our VW Passat exhibited these vertical etchings after a trip to the beach. Sand got in the window seals and scratched the glass in several places. You can peel back your window seals and clean them to remove any sand or other debris that might be trapped.

Respectfully I have to disagree it can't be wear and tear, there's no way the following is by chance...

1 - All four windows impacted
2 - Rear both side windows are impacted in similar areas on both sides (Roughly 30cm from the front of the window)
3 - Front both side windows are impacted in similar areas on both sides (Roughly 18cm from the back of the window)
4 - Four loan cars from tesla all 2016 plus have the same issue (Image of one provided above)
5 - Random Model S at the supercharger and street have the same issue

All the above could not be down to chance!

Honestly, most people probably don't even notice most lines, imagine the probably of the above happening by chance?

I just hope this thread gathers some traction, if your Tesla has the same issues please shout up!

I think it can still be by chance. The window strip will (probably based on past experience) be attached by some clips and these will make some sections of the seal tighter than others, likely to be very similar position for similar cars and windows. So debris in this area will put more pressure on the window, possibly scratching it depending on what the debris is. Of course, it could be argued that this may be causing the seal to touch the window which is then causing the scratches, but these seals are normally/always soft (rubber, bristles, some modern alternative etc) so on their own should not be able to mark glass, unless there is something hard contaminating the area.

Yes, it could still be a manufacturing/design defect.

Hey

I was trying to be a little creative in the title, not very good I know. sorry

I own a 2016 Model S, I've raised issues with all my windows having many (15-20) etched in vertical lines. This really annoys me!

The first time I raised this as part of another thread (i hijacked) everyone claimed this was normal wear and tear. The fact of the matter is ITS NOT! most other cars do not do this not many scratches on all four windows.

I've checked many Model S's and all of them have this issue and I've only ever seen a similar issue on a Mercedes A-class once ever at an Autoglass centre who also said there was nothing normal about the scratches (believe me I look for these lines now on every car I walk past).

I've seen 1 2014 model S cars which didn't have any scratches at all. Which supports the argument that this issue is prominent in 2016+ cars.

Can you check your car and feedback? (car year will be helpful)

The lines are worst directly above the handle on the front-side windows and in the centre of the rear-side windows
You are not (in Newcastle) in the north east of the UK. Look at a map. You are only half way up the UK. You are north east England. When I visit your (lovely) city from the real north east UK, it's a long trip south.

• Funny
Reactions: GreenT
You are not (in Newcastle) in the north east of the UK. Look at a map. You are only half way up the UK. You are north east England. When I visit your (lovely) city from the real north east UK, it's a long trip south.
That's a bit harsh. If you navigate using motorway road signs you'll find that Manchester and Liverpool are in "THE NORTH WEST". Newcastle is therefore both in "THE NORTH EAST" and in the UK.

Besides from where I'm sitting, Dundee is closer to the Central Belt than the North East. And I'm probably in the south if you ask anyone from The Broch :p

Back on topic, I do have scratches in my 2016 MS windows. I just put it down to grit getting into the seals - certain areas may be more prone to this - e.g. if you drive along dusty roads or use car parks with loose gravel. I just put in a box along with things like stone chips which I may one day try to remedy but in the meantime will try to ignore.

Reactions: NorthEastUk
Back on topic, I do have scratches in my 2016 MS windows. I just put it down to grit getting into the seals - certain areas may be more prone to this - e.g. if you drive along dusty roads or use car parks with loose gravel. I just put in a box along with things like stone chips which I may one day try to remedy but in the meantime will try to ignore.

Is it on all fours windows?

And does the scratches on the front windows appear most severe in line with the centre of the handle?

I'll have a look and get back on that (away from the car at the moment)...

[Edit] also for information my MS is pre-facelift (built at end of 2015, delivered end Feb 2016).
So I had a look at my car. One scratch is much more prominent - on the driver's door and above the handle. On the other three doors it's much harder to spot a scratch in normal light - I found one on the rear left but it's more subtle. Also in line with the door handle. However it's hard to argue a case that there is something in the handle assembly causing the scratches based on this evidence alone. Pics of the driver's door attached but it would probably need better lighting to see the scratches more clearly (I dread to think what the paintwork would look like in a detailer's workshop!). So inconclusive as to whether it's grit or a systematic issue with the glass scratching on the handle mechanism IMO.

1. Driver's door from inside, scratch appears as diagonal line, light against dark background, out of focus (not sure how to force the phone to focus on the glass)

Scratch_1.JPG

2. Driver's door from outside, looking up from just below the door handle. Scratch appears dark against sky. Perspective distorts the alignment with the door handle - it's towards the left side of the handle when viewed from outside.

Scratch_2.JPG

Hi everyone respectfully can I ask everyone to stay on topic.

@cezdoc thanks for the images

I'm not sure if it will make you feel better or worse, but I have to use the driver window to access my work carpark and over the last six months the lines on that window have become significantly worse, also based on the number of Teslas I've seen with this issue yours is very mild but likely to get worse depending on how much you use your windows.

To get a better picture, if you get a ruler and put it next to the line, tap on your phone screen so it focuses on the lines on the ruler then it will bring the scratches into focus as well. (hope that makes sense)

I think there has been very little concern raised about these issues as I'm assuming most Tesla owners will get a new car every three years.