Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Business idea: Start shipping company using Tesla Semis. Seems you'd have a huge competitive advanta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"*Advantage"

I've been toying with the idea of starting a local shipping company(Tesla Semi range totally works) to compete with the legacy shippers out here. Seems to me I'd have an immediate competitive advantage(as Tesla Semis run so much cheaper than the old trucks on the road). This could be even more significant if oil prices spike within the next few years.

Thoughts?

"*Advantage"

I've been toying with the idea of starting a local shipping company(Tesla Semi range totally works) to compete with the legacy shippers out here. Seems to me I'd have an immediate competitive advantage(as Tesla Semis run so much cheaper than the old trucks on the road). This could be even more significant if oil prices spike within the next few years.

Thoughts?

I think there is no question *someone* will do this.

The cost advantages of the Tesla Semi over diesel by themselves should be compelling, but when you add in platooning -- which Jerome Guillen described as an easy problem for AP (not a direct quote but that's the gist) -- being shackled to a fleet of obsolete diesel Semis should be a major competitive disadvantage. The competitive advantage won't last forever, obviously, as other trucking companies will switch to Tesla or other electric Semis.

"*Advantage"

Thoughts?

Take it from someone in the industry. It's not as simple as operating cost vs the other guy. There are also a lot of wild cards when it comes to how the government will manage the taxing structure for the Tesla Semi.

• Informative
Reactions: Aieukl378