Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Business Insider says: Stop Improving the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow - what an unfortunate argument. Many premium automakers see sales of a model drop precipitously as the design interation ages. The car is then "redesigned" and sales pick up again due to the new features and apearance of the new model. Each redesign, however, costs billions of dollars in R&D, retooling, etc and take years to plan. By constantly upgrading and making the Model S "more perfect," Tesla IS focusing on the Model 3. They aren't Mercedes or BMW, so stopping the updates and letting the Model S become stale wold require a much sooner complete redesign, and the $$ for this design change would strip far more resources from the Model 3 that the incremental improvements they continue to make on the S and X. By upgrading their existing models and keeping them fresh, they can minimize the cost spent on refreshing these models and maximize resources for the Model 3.

Reactions: GSP and EVie'sDad
It's as silly as saying, "Stop improving computers and smartphones." New technology is introduced first in the high-end models and later trickle down to lower-cost models. Likewise, the importance of the Model S to the upcoming Model 3; after all, Tesla cars basically are computers on wheels.

Reactions: GSP and EVie'sDad
Wow - what an unfortunate argument. Many premium automakers see sales of a model drop precipitously as the design interation ages. The car is then "redesigned" and sales pick up again due to the new features and apearance of the new model. Each redesign, however, costs billions of dollars in R&D, retooling, etc and take years to plan. By constantly upgrading and making the Model S "more perfect," Tesla IS focusing on the Model 3. They aren't Mercedes or BMW, so stopping the updates and letting the Model S become stale wold require a much sooner complete redesign, and the $$ for this design change would strip far more resources from the Model 3 that the incremental improvements they continue to make on the S and X. By upgrading their existing models and keeping them fresh, they can minimize the cost spent on refreshing these models and maximize resources for the Model 3.
Also apple might loose half their value if they followed tesla model for their iPhones. You have to at least see the argument from both sides.

Doh!
Most of the significant improvements in the MS will find their way into the M3 eg the new battery packaging, putting them into the MS first allows Tesla to assess their reliability and performance and refine them prior to implementation in the M3.
Others are because Telsa needs to keep the MS fresh and selling strongly for the revenue stream and momentum and still more are required due to changes in supply chain availability and cost reduction.
Silly article not much short of clickbait, nothing stands still.

Reactions: Ciaopec and GSP
I certainly don't want them to stop improving the S, but I wish that some of the improvements would be done across the board, because I mean.. who the hell can afford a P100DL?

That said, i think that anything they can make money from won't hurt the 3 at all, quite the contrary. They need to be financially as strong as possible.

Reactions: HyperMiler and GSP
One reason it is so hard to create a successful company in the auto manufacturing business is that most people think like this journalist, and not like Elon Musk, or other great entrepreneurs.

That said, there are good points in the article, and it will help the general population's awareness of Tesla. Exactly one of the prime goals of the P100DL.

GSP

Stop what? And give other automakers a chance to catch up? No way Jose! For years now, most automakers have been playing the EV dare game with their concepts and promises of compelling cars of the future, for 2019 and beyond. The P100D is yet another bold statement by Tesla to shut up the competition AND subjugate ICEV technology AND continue to solidify its lead in the industry in the form of a real and viable product that is available here and now.

YEAH MY BOYYYYZZZZZ ELON & JB STOMP YOUR FOOT ON THE GROUND WITH THAT P - 1 - 0 - 0 - D!!!
:D:D:D

The article makes a weak argument about a mainly battery improvement, labeling it as a Model S improvement and that it takes away focus from the Model 3. o_O Lame-o. It's all about the battery, silly goose!

Last edited:
Reactions: SCW-Greg
I do think he kinda neglects to mention that many of the improvements are actually homologations of things Tesla is already doing. For instance
- refresh front end and slipstream wheel establishing a visual brand identity which started with the X
- ventilated seats and white leather were available on the X and now starting to carry over

The battery improvements carry between models and help further attract customers who couldn't get over range anxiety initially.

Another big part of my decision to buy was knowing that my car can improve with firmware (or even hardware) upgrades. It's nice when they're free but I think we've shown a willingness to pay if the upgrade is substantial enough. The video game industry now lives off this "DLC" approach so it's not as if these are completely uncharted waters

Stop what? And give other automakers a chance to catch up?
It's all about the battery, silly goose!

Exactly!

Competitors are already working on 300+ mile cars (at least on the design boards) now. Faraday, VW, BMW, etc. But by continually keeping the pressure on now, Tesla can say "that's so 2016" (old news, we've been doing long before you competitors ever got started).

Further, the sooner they reach 350 to 400 miles of range, the whole argument of range anxiety gets completely squashed. Watch, in just a week or three from now, after the dust settles on the 2.6 seconds performance and 315 mile range of the the P100DL, Elon will showcase this same battery giving a 100D better than 340 mile EPA range. (Based on theory, using a similar 9% mileage boost that the 90D had over the P90DL).

Starts ups and innovators never let up on the go pedal. That's for legacy companies. Don't let them "grab defeat from the jaws of victory."

Last edited:
Exactly!

Competitors are already working on 300+ mile cars (at least on the design boards) now. Faraday, VW, BMW, etc. But by continually keeping the pressure on now, Tesla can say "that's so 2016" (old news, we've been doing long before you competitors ever got started).

Further, the sooner they reach 350 to 400 miles of range, the whole argument of range anxiety gets completely squashed. Watch, in just a week or three from now, after the dust settles on the 2.6 seconds performance and 315 mile range of the the P100DL, Elon will showcase this same battery giving a 100D better than 340 mile EPA range. (Based on theory, using a similar 9% mileage boost that the 90D had over the P90DL).

Starts ups and innovators never let up on the go pedal. That's for legacy companies. Don't let them "grab defeat from the jaws of victory."

Exactly.

The implied premise of the article is that Elon Musk could simply assign more people to the Model 3 team to make it happen faster, but he's choosing not to. Apparently the author (a) thinks Elon Musk is stupid, (b) has never read The Mythical Man Month, and (c) doesn't realize that having the CEO "focus on" your project tends to amplify ambition more than productivity.

Exactly.

The implied premise of the article is that Elon Musk could simply assign more people to the Model 3 team to make it happen faster, but he's choosing not to. Apparently the author (a) thinks Elon Musk is stupid, (b) has never read The Mythical Man Month, and (c) doesn't realize that having the CEO "focus on" your project tends to amplify ambition more than productivity.

Thanks for posting! I had never heard of The Mythical Man Month until now. Here's the Wikipedia thread (yes one can google it themselves, but heck I've already looked it up...):

The Mythical Man-Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Sorry but the BI website strategy seems to be 'made you click' vs actually weighing the pros and cons of a particular issue in a meaningful way.

This guy's other review of a Tesla is a list of his complaints b/c he didn't fully charge at the start of his trip. At least he admits that was his mistake, not the car's.

A pointless article stating the obvious, that Tesla needs to focus on the Model 3, and taking the silly position that producing the P100D version is s significant distraction from making sure the Model 3 launches on time. I think Elon understands the importance of the Model 3 being a success.

In addition some of the new cooling/packaging tech in P100D battery is part of Model 3 design. Just like D version happened before Model X came to be.

• Helpful
Reactions: SΞXY P100D