TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Business Insider/Yahoo Finance: Big Chunks Of The US Couldn't Care Less About Tesla

Discussion in 'News' started by cwerdna, Dec 18, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-chunks-us-couldnt-care-160111011.html
    I'd imagine they're referring to queries for http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=tesla&date=1/2013+12m&cmpt=q&geo=US.

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Is it just me or is that a tesla supercharger map they have there, no blue patches.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes the article says it's the Supercharger map, and notes its correlation with higher interest in Tesla.

4. Reykjavik

Reykjavik Member

Is anyone really surprised by this? We would like to believe that everyone is enlightened and understands the importance of sustainability, but the simple truth is that a lot of people don't care, and the people that do care tend to live on the West coast and in the Northeast. If you are a car enthusiast, Tesla is interesting, if you are an environmentalist, Tesla is interesting, if you are an economist, Tesla is interesting. But if what you want is the best value in an affordable vehicle, Tesla hasn't achieved it yet.

I think it will take some time after the the third generation comes out, when the truck is announced and starts to actually put forward some real numbers for its capability before we see mass adoption, and that is when interest will be visible in the mostly empty states like Wyoming.

5. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I'd love to know what % of searches for "Tesla" occur from automobiles. So often I see people gawk and point, snap a pic on their phone, and start typing. I wonder if the dialog is something like:

Q: What's a "Model S"? Looks cool.
    A: Hmm, Google says it's made by someone called Tesla.
    Q: Who? Where? What?
    A: Elon Musk, California, all electric.
    Q. Wow. I want one.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Nope. Not surprised, unfortunately. :( Yep, you've hit the nail on the head w/your post.

Another car forum I'm on (not that much anymore) maybe a year ago or so showed some incredible ignorance about Tesla.

edit: Found it: Tesla Model S reviews are in: it's a bona fide, unbelievable smash hit. See posts from mid-2012 from a guy in Kansas.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I n low density, high mile states will low cost of living and wages, I'm sure it's just another expensive car. I'm excitedly waiting to see the final specs on the Model X. Not because I'll be buying one, but because a performance 4WD all-electric SUV with towing capability has huge implications for the future and will broaden the Tesla brand appeal.

8. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

I'll stereotype just as others have … no expensive SUV or sedan is going to win over large swaths of the mountain west and plains states. Lack of infrastructure, long distances, rugged vehicle use (hauling, towing, off road, etc) and expensive repairs to aluminum body panels simply don't make a Tesla a reasonable option. It's not a viable choice and therefore, from their perspective, "not a real car." How some people express that view is a whole different issue but let's not kid ourselves that Tesla will solve all transportation needs. Horses for courses.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Very likely a lot of people in those areas haven't heard of Tesla, and/or never seen one. Tesla has said that having locals drive the car is often a catalyst to sales.