Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Business writeoff driving to charging station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Asking for a friend.

The friend uses an X for business, writing off business miles, including miles needed to drive to charging stations in the course of conducting business. The friend cannot deduct commuting miles to/from home. Per IRS rules.

Well, if the closest charging station is at his home, can he deduct those miles? He can't charge at his business, so he has to drive to the charging station which just so happens to be his home

Asking for a friend

Asking for a friend.

The friend uses an X for business, writing off business miles, including miles needed to drive to charging stations in the course of conducting business. The friend cannot deduct commuting miles to/from home. Per IRS rules.

Well, if the closest charging station is at his home, can he deduct those miles? He can't charge at his business, so he has to drive to the charging station which just so happens to be his home

Asking for a friend

I'm not a tax attorney but my advice would be not to write off those miles because he would be driving them regardless of whether he was working or not. Edit: I mean that when he's done working he has to get home anyway. However, just as a gas car can write off the miles needed to get to a gas station, he could similarly write off the miles to get to a supercharger between business stops.

Last edited:
Tell your creative friend "nice try".

Would not be able to justify "needing" to drive to your home to charge up, when you would be going their anyways. Also, there might be a destination charger closer to his business. Could always use that instead of going to the home destination chargers

If your friend ownes the business, then have him look into section 179 for the amazing tax benefits of owning a Model X. You can write off the entire amount in the first year, making it the least expensive Tesla purchase ever. (Ask me how I know)

If he does not have ownership in the business, he might try to convince his boss that he should be paid mileage for driving home to charge. See how that flies :)

Truth is, you can make a case with the IRS if it is the nearest supercharger provided you have accurate logs, but its really not worth trying to save a few hundred dollars a year in tax savings, and risking the IRS snooping around your other expenses. In consultation with my accountant who happens to be very conservative, a section 179 allocation for a personal car is a glaring red flag with the IRS. You expense what you want in your business return until you have to explain them in an audit.

Asking for a friend.

Asking for a friend

Tell your friend no way, no how.

Reactions: jboy210