Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Busted] Model X configuring in July 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Reeve Musk - Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Yes. Probably three months from now, (1:14:44) May, so it's like – this is early July is when we'll ask people to do the configuration. And it would be very similar to the S, like it's not going to be super – there's no big surprises there. It's very similar to the S. And, yes, and we certainly have a lot of customers who've been waiting a long time. So they will probably (1:15:13).
The phrase "ask people to do the configuration" is not the same as "offer a (public or private) configurator online tool". The configuration could be a phone call with a Tesla employee followed by an email capture of the conclusion with a DocuSign link.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's assume the time dilation factor for Elon is 3/2. That would make May to July (2 months in his reference frame) equal to May to August (3 months in our frame). Computing his speed from this Lorentz factor tells us Elon is moving at 89.5% the speed of light.

It appears his speed does vary, though, if we employ this analysis to other deadline/delivery date combinations. Further investigation is warranted to see if we need General Relativity rather than Special Relativity for making accurate future predictions.

However those who comment or tweet "May Elon live 200 years!" could get their wish.
I'm sure it's already covered but if it hasn't....

This would make an interesting Sci-fi topic: cryo-freezing inventors and using time dilation so that their impact on humanity over time is more significant. As an example, people like Babbage could probably do some crazy and amazing stuff with the technology base we have today.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess what I don't quite understand is why not go ahead and release the design studio?
I'm back on the fence again in regards to purchasing a Model S and won't look at it seriously again until the X design studio comes out. Not because I'm interested in the X over the S from a car "type" perspective, it's that there is plenty of evidence to support the idea that the X will have some technology improvements ("possibly" 360 degree view cameras for instance) that will undoubtably come down to the S. Seeing as how I can't take delivery until December anyhow, I can sit on this fence for a month or two more. If Tesla wants to sell me an S then they are going to have to show me an X first.
And you've given one answer for your question right there. Anything they release about X has a material impact on S decisions, the stock price (which affects cash raises and such), etc.

- - - Updated - - -

that 200k is for US sales not total production.
Good point.

And you've given one answer for your question right there. Anything they release about X has a material impact on S decisions, the stock price (which affects cash raises and such), etc.

Fair enough, but I would be curious how many others are sitting on the fence because the X is taking to long to reveal\produce\deliver? No one will ever know the answer to that naturally but...

Jeff