Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Busted] Model X configuring in July 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just hope that those who ordered Signature models on the night of the X Reveal Event will be invited to the factory for a celebration. With the factory infrastructure currently in place compared with the first S deliveries in 2012, a 25 to 50 vehicle factory delivery event would seem possible. It certainly would make the 3 1/2 year wait and the $40,000 deposit worth it!

No new information but just stirring the pot here, if we follow past events as a template to get the following assumptions:
- event on a Thursday
- one week notice for folks to arrange travel
- leave a week or two between event and earnings (July 29 or Aug 5, if it's a Wednesday)

IF there's going to be a party in July, then the most likely candidate would be next Thursday with an invite this week.

Sig 139 here and I can refute any speculation of Sig holders being contacted yet to configure their X vehicles. No NDA. Nada. Really wish we get something soon. I've had my deposit for an X for over three years now. I really wish they'd give an update...soon.

Mis-direction I say! Bonnie and all other Sig series folks. Oh... We know... We know.... I saw the post back on the 1st of April. They got the cars and they are only driving them in the dark.

- event on a Thursday
- one week notice for folks to arrange travel
- leave a week or two between event and earnings (July 29 or Aug 5, if it's a Wednesday)

IF there's going to be a party in July, then the most likely candidate would be next Thursday with an invite this week.

I like the analysis, but I don't think there's going to be a party at any time. If there is, meet you there. I'll be the one that arrives first.

He said 3 months, then he thought about it some more and realized it was already May, at which point he clarified his estimate as July. He didn't sound too sure of himself though. Here is the exact transcript:

Um, yeah, uh, [counts under his breath] probably, probably three months from now, oh no no actually sorry already in May, um… [counts under his breath some more] this is, probably July?, um, is when we’ll ask people to do the configuration.

Thanks. Seems like we agree that statement isn't anything that should be counted upon as a firm promise. Cutting edge tech often takes longer than anyone anticipates.

Thanks. Seems like we agree that statement isn't anything that should be counted upon as a firm promise. Cutting edge tech often takes longer than anyone anticipates.

Plus, it was Elon. Anyone who thinks his timeframes are accurate hasn't been paying attention. Even in Ashlee Vance's biography of him, employees of Zip2 are quoted as saying something to the effect that if Elon said it'd take an hour, it took a day. If he said it would take a day, it'd be a week. He's an optimist, and I think he lives in his own time.

The clock is ticking if they really plan on doing any Signature deliveries in September. If we don't see the Design Studio before the Q2 Earnings Report I think it's almost guaranteed they will announce a slip into Q4.

I can see Founders getting cars in Q3 (no need at all for public design studio and configurations there) and maybe a few Sigs at the end of the month. Those early sig folks could just as likely configure about 4 weeks out so theoretically could do that in late August and cars still be available on the West Coast in September.

So that Elon told us that Design Studio would be arriving in 3 months (July) is not right, but telling us that Model X would not get revield before the first Custmers get their cars is the ultimate thing?
Revield is more a event in my ears, and Tesla do not need one in this time frame. (Underselling the X for a while)
He sometimes get realy exited and says things that is not doable in the timeframe and the World we are living in. :)
I just do not take this Logic, guess some is not loving the look on the pictures of X'es driving around.

So that Elon told us that Design Studio would be arriving in 3 months (July) is not right, but telling us that Model X would not get revield before the first Custmers get their cars is the ultimate thing?
Revield is more a event in my ears, and Tesla do not need one in this time frame. (Underselling the X for a while)
He sometimes get realy exited and says things that is not doable in the timeframe and the World we are living in. :)
I just do not take this Logic, guess some is not loving the look on the pictures of X'es driving around.

Iirc, Elon did not use the word 'revealed', but rather said that no one will see the Model X until the first one is delivered. I'm with Nigel on this - and it has nothing to do with what I think about the design of what has been seen on the roads.

Iirc, Elon did not use the word 'revealed', but rather said that no one will see the Model X until the first one is delivered. I'm with Nigel on this - and it has nothing to do with what I think about the design of what has been seen on the roads.

He said Tesla would not show the Model X until it was delivered. Not that no one would see one. "Not going to show it" sounds far more like no official reveal event than no one will lay eyes on the X even when its being tested in the wild.

Just got an email from Tesla Motors with the subject of "Tesla Invites America to Join the Next Billion". My thoughts as I read the email address, subject and body went like this.

INCOMING EMAIL from Tesla Motors = "Could this be about the X? Please be about the X."
Subject starts with "Tesla Invites" = "HFS am I about to be asked to configure my X? Is the long national nightmare finally over? After 3 years, 1 month and 5 days is it really time to configure? Do the forums know about this yet?"
Next word "America" = "America! Awesome. F'in A! Wait, are they inviting all of America to configure? Awesome...keep moving"
Subject ends with "to Join the Next Billion" = "Awesome-sauce!!! They're inviting us all to drive another billion electric miles in our brand new...wait for it"
BODY begins "Tesla Motors Brings the Experience of Living With Model S to Cities Across America" = "What in the heck is going on?!?! I'm ready to drive our brand new Model X and this whole thing has been a tease for a Model S driving experience tour? No, no, no, no, no, no. WTH! I know about the Model S. I love it, but what about the X already?!?"
Skimming the rest of the email = "Yawn. Model S tour. Different cities. Starts tomorrow. Ends on August 31st. Wait, if it ends on August 31st does that mean they'll start delivering the X by Sept 1? Great, more speculation for the forums. There goes another 25 pages."

Full Press Release from Tesla here

Just got an email from Tesla Motors with the subject of "Tesla Invites America to Join the Next Billion". My thoughts as I read the email address, subject and body went like this.

INCOMING EMAIL from Tesla Motors = "Could this be about the X? Please be about the X."
Subject starts with "Tesla Invites" = "HFS am I about to be asked to configure my X? Is the long national nightmare finally over? After 3 years, 1 month and 5 days is it really time to configure? Do the forums know about this yet?"
Next word "America" = "America! Awesome. F'in A! Wait, are they inviting all of America to configure? Awesome...keep moving"
Subject ends with "to Join the Next Billion" = "Awesome-sauce!!! They're inviting us all to drive another billion electric miles in our brand new...wait for it"
BODY begins "Tesla Motors Brings the Experience of Living With Model S to Cities Across America" = "What in the heck is going on?!?! I'm ready to drive our brand new Model X and this whole thing has been a tease for a Model S driving experience tour? No, no, no, no, no, no. WTH! I know about the Model S. I love it, but what about the X already?!?"
Skimming the rest of the email = "Yawn. Model S tour. Different cities. Starts tomorrow. Ends on August 31st. Wait, if it ends on August 31st does that mean they'll start delivering the X by Sept 1? Great, more speculation for the forums. There goes another 25 pages."

Full Press Release from Tesla here

Yea I also got very exciting to see an email from Tesla this morning. Interesting event in any case. I'm planning on going to Calgary one. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...B-Friday-August-28-2015-Sunday-August-30-2015

Hmmmm.... I wonder why I didn't get the email. I got the invite to the "Double Black", which I attended, but no email here.
Perhaps wait another day, maybe coming out in batches. If you didn't get one by end of the week I would contact Tesla and make sure you're still subscribed. I unexpectedly had fallen off the list at one point and contacting them was the only way to make sure I got back on (despite trying to sign up again via My Tesla).

I got the email... even though I'm in New Mexico which isn't on their itinerary (NM state troopers would probably arrest any Tesla personnel entering the state).

I figure:

a. this new tour is aimed to boost S sales in Q3 before X arrives OR

b. demo the X around the country OR

c. both

Unfortunately I'm going with (a). No X until end of Q3. Hope I'm wrong.