Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Busted Side Mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife pulled out of the garage and hit the side mirror, which looks to be completely busted. Anybody have any idea of cost on this? Hopefully you guys can give me some idea of the cost so I’m prepared.

upload_2018-7-23_8-7-35.jpeg

upload_2018-7-23_8-7-53.jpeg

Ha, luckily I’m not too upset with her. We all make mistakes and I recently got a $600 speeding ticket in Iceland, so I’m thinking we are even now. :)
Funnily enough, if you scan around these forums, the costs quoted for door mirror replacements by Tesla seem to be in the same ballpark as your speeding ticket e.g. $575. I am unclear if that includes the mirror assembly cover matched to your paint though.

Anybody have any idea of cost on this? Hopefully you guys can give me some idea of the cost so I’m prepared.
I hit a concrete post with the passenger side mirror. Total cost was just over $700 for the mirror assembly and outer cover ('skull cap'), which required painting in a body shop.

They quoted me about $500 if the skull cap didn't need to be replaced (since it appeared undamaged). but two of the retaining clips were broken. I keep the old one in my office just to remind me to pay more attention.

I hit a concrete post with the passenger side mirror. Total cost was just over $700 for the mirror assembly and outer cover ('skull cap'), which required painting in a body shop.

They quoted me about $500 if the skull cap didn't need to be replaced (since it appeared undamaged). but two of the retaining clips were broken. I keep the old one in my office just to remind me to pay more attention.

Awesome! I’m hoping for $700, but fear more for some reason.

I will update this thread with the actual cost once I receive the quote.

Awesome! I’m hoping for $700, but fear more for some reason.

I will update this thread with the actual cost once I receive the quote.

Hopefully, the damage is capped at $700. I applaud the leniency with the mistakes, and you can even apply the $100 (the wifey exceeded the Iceland mistake by one Benjamin) as credit for possible future mistakes. As a personal preference, I have received better care at Marietta than Decatur. Good luck and keep us posted!

Please be careful, leaving that broken glass on the car. I'm not sure if Tesla is doing things differently, but auto-dimming mirrors typically use a liquid crystal layer in the glass to produce the dimming effect. That liquid, when leaked out from a broken mirror, can stain the paint on your car. If the mirror stayed out (away from the door skin), and all the liquid has already evacuated, you may be fine. Just a word of caution.

Just bumping this thread for anyone that's interested. The mirror is $475 and $60 for the labor, so the total would be $535. I think we are going to try to buy a cover for the car and heated mirror and ask our local Goodyear (who we have a great relationship with) to install it. I think we can get all of the parts around $250 and then $50 for labor, so we should be able to save a substantial amount doing it this way. Plus, the warranty on the car is already null, so it doesn't matter either way.

Many thanks for all of the suggestions. I greatly appreciate this community.

Reactions: peakay