Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

But Officer....I was going WAY below the speed limit!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder where the camera found that, especially considering I was on the 405! lol

IMG_2669.jpg

Well the '405' sounds like a spur bypass of I5, so would be in city limits. Should have a max of 60 mph. Maybe there's a speck of dust on the camera lens.
I-405 is the main freeway to/past Los Angeles airport, definitely not a "spur", but I guess you could call it a bypass. Anyway, it intersects I-110, and CA-101, maybe the autopilot saw one of these and thought it was a speed sign.

Are there any metric signs in SoCal? I've seen them on rare occasion near the canadian or mexican borders. 110 KPH is eerily close to the 405 Speed limit in MPH.
Arizona and New Mexico do, but I've never seen one in CA, not even places like Calexico where there's a border crossing essentially down town. Certainly there are none on the 405 (which I drive quite often).

I-405 is the main freeway to/past Los Angeles airport, definitely not a "spur", but I guess you could call it a bypass. Anyway, it intersects I-110, and CA-101, maybe the autopilot saw one of these and thought it was a speed sign.

Since machines aren't dislexic, I'd consider the I-110 sign the likely culprit.

As someone who has considered machine interpretation of the world around them, I would find this highly unlikely, since for my machine to determine that it is reading a speed limit sign, it would have to discern:

A. The words "SPEED LIMIT" on the sign (or, alternatively, "MAXIMUM SPEED")
B. No other conjunctive words except for (C)
C. A speed limit (in numbers, for instance)
D. The proper square with rounded corners black border line
E. All the legal language and numerals contained within the contiguous border line.
F. The physical characteristics of the sign to indicate that it is physically about the same shape and slightly larger than the border line
G. The correct color coding, i.e., black text and border on white background.
H. The correct size, height and width proportion, font, font size, positioning, for regular posting signs.
I. Correlatively probability of which road it is pointed to to make certain it is regarding this roadway.
J. Cross analyze with data from similar sources as TomTom uses and other mapping companies use that they get from various databases that has this data, used mostly in a probabilistic way to denoise the data (along with (K)).
K. Cross analyze the other drivers' interpretation of the speed limit sign to help decide differences between (J) and what the machine read physically.
L. Take a snapshot of every ambiguous reading (where that ambiguity was introduced for any strongly valid reason), upload it to Mothership (Tesla), and have a human look at it physically. They could reference Google data, camera angles from many shots, etc..

While I would love a 110MPH speed limit, having the car suddenly decide you ought to be going 110MPH in a 70MPH zone or 25MPH in a 70MPH zone is very, very dangerous, and with the above laundry list of machine interpretation that I would deign to program in, I would find very unlikely to happen, yet we're getting reports of this happening from Tesla drivers.

This tells me the machine interpretation programmers aren't really putting a lot of top-notch effort into their work.

Since machines aren't dislexic, I'd consider the I-110 sign the likely culprit.

As someone who has considered machine interpretation of the world around them, I would find this highly unlikely, since for my machine to determine that it is reading a speed limit sign, it would have to discern:

A. The words "SPEED LIMIT" on the sign (or, alternatively, "MAXIMUM SPEED")
B. No other conjunctive words except for (C)
C. A speed limit (in numbers, for instance)
D. The proper square with rounded corners black border line
E. All the legal language and numerals contained within the contiguous border line.
F. The physical characteristics of the sign to indicate that it is physically about the same shape and slightly larger than the border line
G. The correct color coding, i.e., black text and border on white background.
H. The correct size, height and width proportion, font, font size, positioning, for regular posting signs.
I. Correlatively probability of which road it is pointed to to make certain it is regarding this roadway.
J. Cross analyze with data from similar sources as TomTom uses and other mapping companies use that they get from various databases that has this data, used mostly in a probabilistic way to denoise the data (along with (K)).
K. Cross analyze the other drivers' interpretation of the speed limit sign to help decide differences between (J) and what the machine read physically.
L. Take a snapshot of every ambiguous reading (where that ambiguity was introduced for any strongly valid reason), upload it to Mothership (Tesla), and have a human look at it physically. They could reference Google data, camera angles from many shots, etc..

While I would love a 110MPH speed limit, having the car suddenly decide you ought to be going 110MPH in a 70MPH zone or 25MPH in a 70MPH zone is very, very dangerous, and with the above laundry list of machine interpretation that I would deign to program in, I would find very unlikely to happen, yet we're getting reports of this happening from Tesla drivers.

This tells me the machine interpretation programmers aren't really putting a lot of top-notch effort into their work.

The 110MPH appeared going north for the 101 near roscoe.
So well north of the 110fwy