Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

. . . but what do you miss from your old car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, for Jeep Wrangler, Ford Escape and Mustang. I usually keep my cars for 12-15 years and do all my own maintenance after warranty runs out. Total cost of ownership plays important role in my purchase decision.
Same. I just sold our 2014 Subaru at about 105k miles, since the CVT transmissions start to fail between 110 to 150k miles, and cost about $8500 to replace, plus labor. Just unwilling to take that risk, outside the 100k mi warranty, needed to sell while it still had some value.

$15k after 400k miles? Sounds reasonable. In 15-20 years they will be a lot cheaper, and probably have double the range. My kids and future grand kids will have tons of fun working on it.

Tesla calendar syncs to Tesla maps as well

I’ve never been a fan of Apple Maps

Yeah there are some more music options but I still prefer the Tesla interface rather than the duplicity of interfaces that show up with CarPlay / android auto

I like CarPlay in my rental car and cars that didn’t even try to have an interface they just went straight to CarPlay

I agree though the worst part is paying an extra $10 for something your already paying for.. at least you can do that over WiFi though
I've connected my Tesla to my phone's hotspot, but that is tedious at best and then when I get home, the car stays connected to my phone and the phone and keeps my phone from connecting to my home wifi.

Both of our other cars have CarPlay, so that's the interface that is used most often, so Tesla means I'm not only paying $10 per month for connectivity, but I'd end up paying for another music service are well.

Like I said, Tesla's interface is far better than most cars' interfaces, and if you are happy with Tesla's apps then it's not an issue. There are a lot of people who prefer other apps and If you are not happy with them and/or don't want to pay the extra money to get what you already have it is an issue. In general Tesla's mapping software is pretty good but there are some specific cases where it lacks and/or falls down and other mapping software like Google, Apple or Waze is superior. CarPlay would give you that option. Right now you have no option. (In MN, it's illegal to use your phone in anything except hands free mode, so aside from being a stupid idea, looking down to open up the map software on your phone is actually illegal.)

I just sold my 10 year S and it was good for at least 10 more.. battery is good for 400k I had 150k and almost no degradation
Yup, which is why I think the concern about frequent DC charging affecting the battery is really a non-starter. Electric cars require so little maintenance when compared to electric cars, they seem almost bullet proof (not that I want to test that with a bullet).

It’s been said a million times but CarPlay. Tesla‘s UI for controlling the car settings is good and that’s about it. The music/podcasts/maps/navigation are garbage compared to carplay, even on a tiny 7 inch screen. The voice assistant is especially useless. I’m back to using my iPhone while driving, so hopefully with all the additional safety features in the car it equals out 🤷‍♂️

I think CarPlay is crap too, and I don't miss it at all. I'm happy to just use my phone for listening to music, audiobooks, or podcasts. If they ever get around to improving it and the interface, I might be interested.
I think the advantage CarPlay brings is standardization. It allows the interface to appear familiar in any car rather than the user having to learn the particulars of a car's audio system menus.

Reactions: artnalex
I think the advantage CarPlay brings is standardization. It allows the interface to appear familiar in any car rather than the user having to learn the particulars of a car's audio system menus.
I find it much easier to use my phone's system than to use the car's -- that's familiar and standardized, LOL.

I actually had no idea my MY had a UI for things like podcasts, but that's probably because I've never looked for it. I either use a radio station or my phone.

CarPlay and android auto only came to be bc legacy carmakers had bad Infotainment systems and still do. Tesla doesn’t have this problem. Of course there are people who want more functionality and it’s fine one day we will get there.

• Disagree
Reactions: artnalex
Another thing I like about CarPlay is that because the screen is basically a mirror of apps actually running on the phone, the apps are updated regularly without needing any intervention from the car manufacturer.

Getting Apple Music integration (or any other app for that matter) on Tesla would be great as long as Tesla keeps it up to date, etc.

Another thing I like about CarPlay is that because the screen is basically a mirror of apps actually running on the phone, the apps are updated regularly without needing any intervention from the car manufacturer.

Getting Apple Music integration (or any other app for that matter) on Tesla would be great as long as Tesla keeps it up to date, etc.
Honestly most of these issues could be solved if Tesla had a third party SDK to allow companies to create their own apps, similar to what apple does with CarPlay. Then they could keep their premium connectivity subscription and give users choices

Reactions: Iflyprops
Honestly most of these issues could be solved if Tesla had a third party SDK to allow companies to create their own apps, similar to what apple does with CarPlay. Then they could keep their premium connectivity subscription and give users choices
I suspect they don’t have safeguards in place to prevent an app from crashing/freezing the whole display.

Do any CarPlay rely on the CarPlay display for lights, speed, emergency lights, parking brake, locks, etc. — or are those separated?

I suspect they don’t have safeguards in place to prevent an app from crashing/freezing the whole display.

Do any CarPlay rely on the CarPlay display for lights, speed, emergency lights, parking brake, locks, etc. — or are those separated?
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand, CarPlay apps cannot crash anything on the car because the car display is strictly mirroring information from the phone. All the "software" and processing is running on the phone. Worst case would be that you close a rogue app on the phone or unplug the phone (in the case of wired CarPlay).

That being said, there are some CarPlay integrations that let you do things like set AC temperature using Siri commands but those integrations are few and far between since that requires the carmaker to go through the trouble of working on that integration. Most car makers just offer plain CarPlay with no additional OEM specific integration.

CarPlay simply uses the the car as an external touchscreen monitor for the phone; aside from the audio and video signals there is nothing as far as controlling the car. Like @carlos31820 said, this has the advantage that anytime the developer adds an app or updates an app it automatically updates. If it crashes, it just crashes the phone, not the car.

Allowing 3rd parties to actually write apps adds another level of complexity and security concerns for Tesla. I would doubt Tesla would want to incur that risk and the extra work. I wouldn't expect them too.

Getting back to the original thread topic, something I don't miss from my old car is the fact that the software is never updated. Even Tesla is continually improving things, so there's hope that the crappy TuneIn app will improve. With a Toyota you're stuck.

I miss 2 - check that - 3 things from my last car:
  • 360 overhead camera view
  • HUD
  • the exhaust note
I'll be fine without that last one I guess. We have a loud-ish Mini Cooper S to fill that void. But the first two were things I never expected to need but ultimately really liked.

Just took delivery of my MYLR (no FSD) a few days ago. Was driving a 2017 Rogue. Here is what I miss:

1. Around View or Bird's Eye View camera. So nice when parking in a tight space or anywhere really. Nice to see how far up we are to the line in front and evenly space between the lines on the side.

2. Audible/Visual blind spot detection, like light indicators in the rear view mirrors when cars are in the blind spot and a beep-beep if I put on my lane change signal with a car over there.

3. Cross Traffic Alerts, when backing put of a parking space and cars are passing behind me. The cameras are nice, but somehow the Rogus gave a much wider view of what's going on back there and it would beep if motion was detected.

4. A Clock I can see. The one on screen gets lost in the map, same with the outside temp

5. Homelink (or direct access to MyQ) I know $375, I would have gladly paid if they would have let at the time I ordered. Now I have to schedule service :rolleyes:

6. Sirius/XM app, like Spotify. I use my phone, but would rather have the controls on the screen, not on the phone. Satellite is a better option, but I understand the cost savings. Again I would have paid another $300 for a built-in satellite radio

7. Forward and Rear object and motion detection with emergency breaking. It might have it with FSB, but this is a safety feature not a coolness factor.

8. Kick to open the trunk. When your hands are full you can still open the trunk. Using the phone takes two hands, unless you can open the phone, open the app and open the trunk with one hand. But no hands beats even one hand. Closing might be even more important as I have arms full of groceries and need to close the trunk.

9. I really wish I did not have to have the Tesla app open on my phone to unlock and start the car.

10. Al a carte upgrades like:
  • lane change assist. not cool it turns off auto steer every time I need to change lanes
  • Self park (see #1 above)
  • Auto stop on stop signs and stop lights
That's my list!

1. Apple CarPlay.
  2. CarPlay.
  3. CarPlay.
  4. The heated steering wheel that my Audi had.
  5. CarPlay.
  6. I occasionally miss 'dumb' cruise control, but then when I drive our 2011 odyssey I always end up missing TACC, so I don't think I really miss it. 😜
  7. CarPlay.
  8. Did I mention CarPlay?
I get the CarPlay thing. I've never owned a car with it, but it seems like every car I rent these days has it and I do really like it. Mostly the integration with the navigation between the phone and the car is awesome.