Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

. . . but what do you miss from your old car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, I find the backup camera + lights to be super. I.e. I can see better on the screen (including colors) than I could with my own vision. VIN 199x, maybe it is different on yours?
Mine is a 2020 I picked up in late September. VIN 0449xx.

There are times you just want to turn around and see where you are going. On super dark rainy nights with absolutely no light source, the backup camera has failed to visualize trees or a gravel drive adequately. Only after I managed to get almost out of the driveway did the backup camera provide useful info (clearly visualized mailboxes).

When the backup cameras don't give you enough information, the light emitted from the backup light is not adequate to easily and confidently view the area behind the car directly with your own eyes when needed. I've taken dark Sunday morning drives recently and don't feel it has changed. I have to use the backup camera. In the familiar location of my home, this is enough but in an unfamiliar location, unnerving.

Last edited:
Mine is a 2020 I picked up in late September. VIN 0449xx.

There are times you just want to turn around and see where you are going. On super dark rainy nights with absolutely no light source, the backup camera has failed to visualize trees or a gravel drive adequately. Only after I managed to get almost out of the driveway did the backup camera provide useful info (clearly visualized mailboxes).

When the backup cameras don't give you enough information, the light emitted from the backup light is not adequate to easily and confidently view the area behind the car directly with your own eyes when needed. I've taken dark Sunday morning drives recently and don't feel it has changed. I have to use the backup camera. In the familiar location of my home, this is enough but in an unfamiliar location, unnerving.
Doesn’t sound normal and I never experienced anything like that on our 2 Teslas. Create service ticket sounds like your backup cam is not working properly.

Reactions: EVer Hopeful
I actually think the backup camera works as designed and mostly does fine. However if you have rain, a pitch black night, and you have surfaces that do not provide adequate input (wet dark trees, dark driveway), you have somewhat impaired cameras (from rain) and objects that are not sufficiently visualized due to the darkness.

If there are reflective/light surfaces, the backup camera does fine. I will look into it though and wait for another rainy night to find out more.

I actually think the backup camera works as designed and mostly does fine. However if you have rain, a pitch black night, and you have surfaces that do not provide adequate input (wet dark trees, dark driveway), you have somewhat impaired cameras (from rain) and objects that are not sufficiently visualized due to the darkness.

If there are reflective/light surfaces, the backup camera does fine. I will look into it though and wait for another rainy night to find out more.
I tend to use the brakes on my Subaru as an additional light source when reversing to help illuminate the path behind me. Is this not possible in a Tesla because of the regenerative braking and pedal mechanics of Teslas?

• Helpful
Reactions: mrwug and WhiteWi
The brake lights do help somewhat but when you are actually backing up they disappear.

When I said I missed the backup lights in my 32 year old Honda wagon, there were, of course, no backup cameras then and you had to rely on REAL backup lights for backing. Lights that actually illuminated the area behind the car.

Real backup lights in a MY are non-existent. Since the car should be able to drive if the screen goes out, this could be a larger safety issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: rjpjnk and WhiteWi
The windshield wipers could be a little better. They've got a weird pressure point I feel like which leaves some spots without good even contact. Not a huge issue, but they're on the worse side of the cars I've been in the last few years.

Build quality when it comes to sounds. The car has some rattles and vibrations and has since day one (have 5,000 miles on it now after a year). I think a lot comes from the center console area (pre-update) and might be just flexing from the movement of the vehicle. I probably could fix some of these issues and might with some felt when I feel like it, but right now it just bugs me, mainly when I have someone in the car and we're talking and not listening to music or anything.

The ability to use a touchless wash during the winter months without it destroying the trim...

What i miss from my last 2 Honda’s 2016 Civic Touring and 2018 Accord Touring 2.0 is yes like lots of y’all Carplay. But i also miss the Homelink feature which cost 400+ Cad… Xm radio and the camera on the passenger mirror which would turn on when using the right turn signal to see my blind spot.

Last edited:
You know you can press the button on the end of the left stalk to wipe once. Doing so also brings up the wiper control panel on the screen.
I know and I know.....continually pressing the button like a monkey in a heavy downpour is not a solution. Taking your eye off the road to look at the screen, then taking one hand off the steering wheel to press a button on the screen, while driving in a heavy downpour, is not safe.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi