Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Butt dialing FSD purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M|S|M MYP

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
USA
A little light humor for this Friday....brings a whole new meaning to 'smartphone'...i like to think of this as a very smart 10 month old that is doing his part for Q2!

1624040396378.png

A little light humor for this Friday....brings a whole new meaning to 'smartphone'...i like to think of this as a very smart 10 month old that is doing his part for Q2!

View attachment 674900

gotta say .... these "claims are tiresome" she didn't realize until she checked her bank statement ;) riiiight!!!
not going to verify it myself....

but have to imagine password or minimum thumb or facial recognition required for purchase ... so no..

Reactions: wipster
gotta say .... these "claims are tiresome" she didn't realize until she checked her bank statement ;) riiiight!!!

but have to imagine password or minimum thumb or facial recognition required for purchase ... so no..
Unfortunately within the Tesla app…no. They should at least prompt for the password but they don’t last I heard. They do when you try to drive with the app. Elon even tweeted to a complaint about it. Needs to be fixed. Extremely easy to do.

Thats not the point. It costs tesla NOTHING to enable or disable FSD. They could easily refund an accidental purchase, or if its not noticed for a month, only refund 90% of the cost.
Deliberately not doing so is scammy imho. If FSD is so amazing, those accidental purchasers should be easily won over and glad they made the purchase. This is a stupid way for tesla to shoot itself in the foot and hand a free win to its detractors.
I sell $25 video games, and anybody gets a free no-question refund within a few days if they want it. The idea of not having similar respect for customers who have likely already spent $50,000 on a car is nuts.

Considering the capabilities of modern smartphones, I remain blown away by just how moronic the general public is. Maybe don’t allow your 10 month old to access and “play around” with your unlocked phone. Just a thought. How many safeguards do people really need in life?!
Or at least have a talk with them. Like I’ve told my cat; you order a pound of catnip, we’re going to sit down at this table and you’re going to eat it all in one sitting to teach you a lesson. Simple ground rules and consequences. Never too young to learn that.

Thanks to this thread my account did allow me to order the Plaid for $10,000 less than the current price as I had ordered a Plaid+ last September. However, I had to pay the full $10,000 for FSD rather than the $8,000. I was very disappointed with Tesla when they were going to charge me the new price. Now, I love Tesla again. Delivery is July for my red, white interior with carbon fiber and 19" wheels.
Did you "butt dial"your Plaid order :D

• Funny
Reactions: FireMedic
Thats not the point. It costs tesla NOTHING to enable or disable FSD. They could easily refund an accidental purchase, or if its not noticed for a month, only refund 90% of the cost.
Deliberately not doing so is scammy imho. If FSD is so amazing, those accidental purchasers should be easily won over and glad they made the purchase. This is a stupid way for tesla to shoot itself in the foot and hand a free win to its detractors.
I sell $25 video games, and anybody gets a free no-question refund within a few days if they want it. The idea of not having similar respect for customers who have likely already spent $50,000 on a car is nuts.

Whoa, what's with the vitriol? Tesla has a 48-hour refund policy.

Considering the capabilities of modern smartphones, I remain blown away by just how moronic the general public is. Maybe don’t allow your 10 month old to access and “play around” with your unlocked phone. Just a thought. How many safeguards do people really need in life?!

Kinda not the point. The REAL point is, "how does Newsweek release this just in time for triple witching Friday?" When did this supposedly occur? And was a payment made by some 3rd party to the victim perp person. :p

CNBS headline "Tesla doing everything to post profit without regulatory credits for Q2.... resorts to thousands of infants purchasing FSD 'accidently' and are refusing to give refunds"

So it seems people genuinely think that someone who has somehow let their kid order FSD using their smartphone should just 'suck it up' and be $10,000 down?
You don't even think Tesla should say 'hey... we appreciate this was a mistake, but you seemed to take ages to spot it, so here is your money back minus a $500 fee for time used and our admin. be careful next time ok?'.
No. Tesla should just keep the $10k?

Someone this happens to will go from a tesla fan (FFS they bought the car...) to a tesla hater. They will tell that story to everyone they know, forever.

It costs tesla NOTHING to implement a confirmation system within the app, or to request a password to be re-entered. I thought they were meant to be good at software and security? This is NOT the first time its happened, and it feels scummy.
If Ford, GM or Volkswagen did the same thing, you would all be screaming at how awful they were. Tesla is *not* above criticism.

So it seems people genuinely think that someone who has somehow let their kid order FSD using their smartphone should just 'suck it up' and be $10,000 down?
You don't even think Tesla should say 'hey... we appreciate this was a mistake, but you seemed to take ages to spot it, so here is your money back minus a $500 fee for time used and our admin. be careful next time ok?'.
No. Tesla should just keep the $10k?

Someone this happens to will go from a tesla fan (FFS they bought the car...) to a tesla hater. They will tell that story to everyone they know, forever.

It costs tesla NOTHING to implement a confirmation system within the app, or to request a password to be re-entered. I thought they were meant to be good at software and security? This is NOT the first time its happened, and it feels scummy.
If Ford, GM or Volkswagen did the same thing, you would all be screaming at how awful they were. Tesla is *not* above criticism.
I agree with this.

The exception would be if the FSD had been engaged on a regular basis in the month that it was not noticed or even at all really.

If the FSD was never engaged just give the woman her money back.

As to the ADHD this woman’s child will certainly suffer from at some point, this is another topic.

OTOH, babies are getting smarter all the time, maybe her young one realized that s/he would soon be able to pilot the vehicle if it had FSD, at least by Pre-K time...

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D and SN_8
Adding a pin to purchase would allow Tesla to say "STFU. It's a pin." Everyone told me I was crazy for that. Such an easy fix to ignore this BS forever.

I don't know about you guys though, but when my kid accidentally spends 10k the first thing I do is go make a Tik Tok about it. :rolleyes: It's called buyer's remorse. She changed her mind a few weeks later and then decided to blame the baby.

Adding a pin to purchase would allow Tesla to say "STFU. It's a pin." Everyone told me I was crazy for that. Such an easy fix to ignore this BS forever.

Infant typed in my Tesla pin and purchased 10K FSD! Yeah, it's the same as my iPhone pin, but they should seriously add better security.

How many layers of security is needed to keep FUD away?