Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Butt dialing FSD purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it seems people genuinely think that someone who has somehow let their kid order FSD using their smartphone should just 'suck it up' and be $10,000 down?
You don't even think Tesla should say 'hey... we appreciate this was a mistake, but you seemed to take ages to spot it, so here is your money back minus a $500 fee for time used and our admin. be careful next time ok?'.
No. Tesla should just keep the $10k?

I don't understand your logic or your attitude. We have zero evidence Tesla will refuse to refund this accidental purchase. All companies have policies and all companies make exceptions in situations that are not normal.

No matter how many times it's represented as normal to leave a toddler with an unlocked phone, it's not going to make me think that's normal. There is no evidence Tesla is not going to refund the purchase. Why do you appear to believe otherwise? If you think it should happen instantly, on-demand, within one day, then I've got news for you. It's going to have to get escalated up the chain of command. Probably not all the way to Elon but to someone in the company who is authorized to make $10,000 exceptions.

Personally, I hate it when my phone or computer asks for forgotten passwords when I'm trying to get stuff done. I'm not convinced it makes sense to inconvenience every Tesla owner just to accommodate people who think it's OK for their toddler to have access to unlocked phones. Oh, maybe the toddler hacked the lock code too? Quick, let Elon know so he can hire the little rascal! 🤣

Infant typed in my Tesla pin and purchased 10K FSD! Yeah, it's the same as my iPhone pin, but they should seriously add better security.

How many layers of security is needed to keep FUD away?
Just one, just one. I can't understand why people are so resistant to this basic (and common) system. Apple requires my pin to buy a $3 app. Not requiring one for a $10k app is stupid, pure and simple.

I don't understand your logic or your attitude. We have zero evidence Tesla will refuse to refund this accidental purchase. All companies have policies and all companies make exceptions in situations that are not normal.

No matter how many times it's represented as normal to leave a toddler with an unlocked phone, it's not going to make me think that's normal. There is no evidence Tesla is not going to refund the purchase. Why do you appear to believe otherwise? If you think it should happen instantly, on-demand, within one day, then I've got news for you. It's going to have to get escalated up the chain of command. Probably not all the way to Elon but to someone in the company who is authorized to make $10,000 exceptions.

Personally, I hate it when my phone or computer asks for forgotten passwords when I'm trying to get stuff done. I'm not convinced it makes sense to inconvenience every Tesla owner just to accommodate people who think it's OK for their toddler to have access to unlocked phones. Oh, maybe the toddler hacked the lock code too? Quick, let Elon know so he can hire the little rascal! 🤣
Come on. How often do you purchase something through your Tesla app? We don't have to pretend that everything Tesla does it perfect and wise.

I believe this is a case of buyer's remorse. If they had a pin in place, even an optional one like they have for driving, then they could easily shut this BS down. This will keep happening until Tesla adds this tiny feature.

Come on. How often do you purchase something through your Tesla app? We don't have to pretend that everything Tesla does it perfect and wise.

I believe this is a case of buyer's remorse. If they had a pin in place, even an optional one like they have for driving, then they could easily shut this BS down. This will keep happening until Tesla adds this tiny feature.
It's going subscription anyways so people can cancel anytime.

What i think happened was the mom did not want the husband to be able to unlock the phone so she used the toddler's face ID to register it....then the toddler got a hold of the phone, unlocked it with his face ID and then opened the Tesla App and purchased FSD. He was so pumped after reading all our posts on TMC that he wanted to do his part for Q2....he even responded to the email from Tesla and said, don't refund my mom till Q3 so that this purchase will count towards Q2....... 😊 😊 😊 😊 😊

Happy Father's day y'all!!!

My baby once unlocked my phone with my thumb while I slept. Can never be too careful.
2Q==(3).jpg

So it seems people genuinely think that someone who has somehow let their kid order FSD using their smartphone should just 'suck it up' and be $10,000 down?
You don't even think Tesla should say 'hey... we appreciate this was a mistake, but you seemed to take ages to spot it, so here is your money back minus a $500 fee for time used and our admin. be careful next time ok?'.
No. Tesla should just keep the $10k?

Someone this happens to will go from a tesla fan (FFS they bought the car...) to a tesla hater. They will tell that story to everyone they know, forever.

It costs tesla NOTHING to implement a confirmation system within the app, or to request a password to be re-entered. I thought they were meant to be good at software and security? This is NOT the first time its happened, and it feels scummy.
If Ford, GM or Volkswagen did the same thing, you would all be screaming at how awful they were. Tesla is *not* above criticism.
I think you’ve gone off the deep end with an emotional reaction based on incomplete information provided by a suspect source.

Seriously, absolutely no reason for you to be so offended, wound up, or righteously indignant on behalf of a total stranger.

You have no idea what really happened on either side of this story, but you’re pretty darn sure Tesla should do this or that. Give me a break.

Until I know the whole story, the real story, and I’m sure nobody on either side is embellishing, stretching the truth, or outright lying, I reserve the right to keep both my common sense and opinion to myself.

Excuse me while I go make sure my cat isn’t ordering something it shouldn’t because I left my unlocked phone on the couch where he likes to make out with a blanket and then sleep off his endorphin high.

I think you’ve gone off the deep end with an emotional reaction based on incomplete information provided by a suspect source.

Seriously, absolutely no reason for you to be so offended, wound up, or righteously indignant on behalf of a total stranger.

You have no idea what really happened on either side of this story, but you’re pretty darn sure Tesla should do this or that. Give me a break.

Until I know the whole story, the real story, and I’m sure nobody on either side is embellishing, stretching the truth, or outright lying, I reserve the right to keep both my common sense and opinion to myself.

Excuse me while I go make sure my cat isn’t ordering something it shouldn’t because I left my unlocked phone on the couch where he likes to make out with a blanket and then sleep off his endorphin high.
I think cliff does software development. That's also my field. For those that work in software dev, seeing Tesla not have a required password or PIN confirmation on an in app purchase is a bonehead move. It might be like building a house and not putting a lock on the front door. The neighborhood kids might open the door, come in and eat your sweets, and then say, "oops, I thought this was my house." They obviously knew better but you could prevent this easily by putting a simple lock on your door.

Similarly, Tesla could prevent this easily by doing a standard development practice.

I have to enter a PIN to rent a $4 movie on Amazon, but I can spend nearly $12,000 to buy FSD for my car from my phone app without any verification.

I've been one click from ordering £2000 performance upgrade.

Tesla app wasn't open, pretty sure I locked my phone, had it in my pocket, took it out some time later & it was on that part of the app. I do think there should be some kind of safeguard if the cost is in the thousands. A better approach might be to remove these upgrades from the app & go through a webpage.

It's quite possible this is FUD, but why allow an easy goal? Just make it harder to do. make it an app option (default should be confirm required).

Overall, not a big deal, just something to improve (in my opinion). I just don't understand why infrequent huge purchases should be easy to make.

I've just thought - does Google/Apple get part of this purchase?

Reactions: j6Lpi429@3j
I think cliff does software development. That's also my field. For those that work in software dev, seeing Tesla not have a required password or PIN confirmation on an in app purchase is a bonehead move. It might be like building a house and not putting a lock on the front door. The neighborhood kids might open the door, come in and eat your sweets, and then say, "oops, I thought this was my house." They obviously knew better but you could prevent this easily by putting a simple lock on your door.

Similarly, Tesla could prevent this easily by doing a standard development practice.

I have to enter a PIN to rent a $4 movie on Amazon, but I can spend nearly $12,000 to buy FSD for my car from my phone app without any verification.
Just make the refund process equally easy and we are fine, any unnecessary friction added in the name of security would later prove to be a competitive disadvantage.

Btw when we have subscription we won’t have problem anymore.

Reactions: UkNorthampton

$TSLAQ: "We knew Tesla was a fraud all along.......without these phantom purchases....they are not profitable....essentially"

You can't even open the Tesla app until you enter your password. I'm not a fan of making people enter passwords multiple times. If you want to leave your Tesla app open, then auto-lock your phone, it's as simple as that.

Tesla will be refunding this purchase if the complainer is serious about not wanting to buy it but I'm skeptical a toddler ordered FSD because people generally don't let kids play with their unlocked phone. If it turns out that after she ordered FSD she went for a drive and started using Navigate on Autopilot and fiddled with various Autopilot settings, I would say "You had your 48 hour trial period, suck it up".

I'm a firm believer that the customer is only right if they can't be proven wrong. If it's obviously a fact that the customer is wrong then the company, any company, should tell them as much. Nothing wrong with losing a bad or dishonest customer. Because they are going to pull the same ol' crap again and again.

In this case I suspect it's driven by someone trying to throw shade on Tesla. I know it's not much shade but they feel helpless as Tesla succeeds wildly so any little shade they can create seems like a win. If it's an honest mistake, a freak accident, Tesla will refund the money. Pretty simple really.

I buy stuff on Amazon literally all-the-time without entering so much as a PIN or a password. It's simply not a problem. Sometimes thousands of dollars worth. Millions of other Americans do the same thing. I can't say how it works in other countries, maybe they have laws that make it more difficult to buy online, I don't know. I would hate to have that simplicity taken away.

Reactions: SN_8
You can't even open the Tesla app until you enter your password. I'm not a fan of making people enter passwords multiple times. If you want to leave your Tesla app open, then auto-lock your phone, it's as simple as that.

Tesla will be refunding this purchase if the complainer is serious about not wanting to buy it but I'm skeptical a toddler ordered FSD because people generally don't let kids play with their unlocked phone. If it turns out that after she ordered FSD she went for a drive and started using Navigate on Autopilot and fiddled with various Autopilot settings, I would say "You had your 48 hour trial period, suck it up".

I'm a firm believer that the customer is only right if they can't be proven wrong. If it's obviously a fact that the customer is wrong then the company, any company, should tell them as much. Nothing wrong with losing a bad or dishonest customer. Because they are going to pull the same ol' crap again and again.

In this case I suspect it's driven by someone trying to throw shade on Tesla. I know it's not much shade but they feel helpless as Tesla succeeds wildly so any little shade they can create seems like a win. If it's an honest mistake, a freak accident, Tesla will refund the money. Pretty simple really.
My Tesla app opens without a password. I just opened it. And now I can order fsd. No password or PIN required.

Reactions: UkNorthampton