Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Butt dialing FSD purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened to me. All of a sudden there was an $11,000 charge on my credit card from Tesla. I had no idea how this came about. Nobody else uses my cell phone and to butt dial that purchase is about as likely as Elon getting to Mars by tomorrow evening.
I'm suspicious that that 'butt dialing' was done on the Tesla side - probably by some accidental congregation of new app/software updates or whatever.
I did get that charge reversed.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Then you know you can't open the Tesla app and access your account without supplying your credentials. So quit acting like you can - it's no different than the way people set up their Amazon account.
I can open my app now and buy FSD without inputting any verification.

I suspect Tesla will add password confirmation to in app purchases. After they do, I also suspect some of the people arguing against it will suddenly be for it.

I can open my app now and buy FSD without inputting any verification.

I suspect Tesla will add password confirmation to in app purchases. After they do, I also suspect some of the people arguing against it will suddenly be for it.

You cannot open the Tesla app or buy anything from Tesla without inputting your credentials. If you think you can it's because you are confusing switching open apps with opening an application. Yes, you can leave the app open, that is different from opening the app and is why phones are generally configured to auto-lock. I'm surprised that, as an app developer, you are unaware of these basics and the difference between app switching and opening an app.

I'm for however Tesla wants to do it, as long as it's convenient for me. After all, it's their business to run. If I don't like it there are plenty of other companies I can go to to take care of my auto needs. I was born in a time when most people were raised to take responsibility for our actions and we were not guaranteed to win every contest as a child. If you came in last, you lost. Simple as that. Now kids are raised believing everyone always wins and you don't have to take responsibility for your actions (like leaving an unlocked phone in the hands of a toddler). Think about this:

If I put my property tax payment in my mailbox but my 2 year old toddler gets into the mail, pulls out the envelope with the check and drops it on the ground where my dog eats it, my tax payments are going to be late and it's going to cost me a few thousand dollars. If I go to the County Assessor and explain that I put it in the mailbox on time, I had the money in my checking account but due to unforeseen circumstances my toddler removed it from the mailbox and I would like an extension, it wasn't my fault.

But he will politely explain to me that it's my job to ensure the chain of custody of the payment and they cannot forgive late payments, even if only a day late. It was a $5,000 mistake. I could have used registered or certified mail, delivered it in person or watched my toddler more closely but I messed up and I owe them $5,000 dollars. There is no grey area here and I know that. Some people, mainly those raised in the era where "everyone gets a prize" are flabbergasted at how unfair that is, to people like me and Elon, that's normal, you have to take responsibility for your actions (or lack thereof). We did not grow up getting a prize for crossing the finish line last! We know that you have to know the rules of the games you play. No one is going to do it for you.

Having said all that, Tesla regularly forgives people who make honest mistakes. This woman will almost certainly get a refund. If not, it's only because Tesla determined beyond a reasonable doubt that she is not being forthcoming or honest with them.

Know the rules of the road and be responsible for your actions! It's not difficult. I love Amazon's easy order process and every time I've bought something from the Tesla store I appreciate that my computer fills in my credentials for me, just as my phone does. Let's not lose that benefit simply because someone was raised to think they don't have to take responsibility for their actions. The amount of privilege people expect these days and the lack of personal responsibility is unbelievable!

You cannot open the Tesla app or buy anything from Tesla without inputting your credentials. If you think you can it's because you are confusing switching open apps with opening an application. Yes, you can leave the app open, that is different from opening the app and is why phones are generally configured to auto-lock. I'm surprised that, as an app developer, you are unaware of these basics and the difference between app switching and opening an app.

I'm for however Tesla wants to do it, as long as it's convenient for me. After all, it's their business to run. If I don't like it there are plenty of other companies I can go to to take care of my auto needs. I was born in a time when most people were raised to take responsibility for our actions and we were not guaranteed to win every contest as a child. If you came in last, you lost. Simple as that. Now kids are raised believing everyone always wins and you don't have to take responsibility for your actions (like leaving an unlocked phone in the hands of a toddler). Think about this:

If I put my property tax payment in my mailbox but my 2 year old toddler gets into the mail, pulls out the envelope with the check and drops it on the ground where my dog eats it, my tax payments are going to be late and it's going to cost me a few thousand dollars. If I go to the County Assessor and explain that I put it in the mailbox on time, I had the money in my checking account but due to unforeseen circumstances my toddler removed it from the mailbox and I would like an extension, it wasn't my fault.

But he will politely explain to me that it's my job to ensure the chain of custody of the payment and they cannot forgive late payments, even if only a day late. It was a $5,000 mistake. I could have used registered or certified mail, delivered it in person or watched my toddler more closely but I messed up and I owe them $5,000 dollars. There is no grey area here and I know that. Some people, mainly those raised in the era where "everyone gets a prize" are flabbergasted at how unfair that is, to people like me and Elon, that's normal, you have to take responsibility for your actions (or lack thereof). We did not grow up getting a prize for crossing the finish line last! We know that you have to know the rules of the games you play. No one is going to do it for you.

Having said all that, Tesla regularly forgives people who make honest mistakes. This woman will almost certainly get a refund. If not, it's only because Tesla determined beyond a reasonable doubt that she is not being forthcoming or honest with them.

Know the rules of the road and be responsible for your actions! It's not difficult. I love Amazon's easy order process and every time I've bought something from the Tesla store I appreciate that my computer fills in my credentials for me, just as my phone does. Let's not lose that benefit simply because someone was raised to think they don't have to take responsibility for their actions. The amount of privilege people expect these days and the lack of personal responsibility is unbelievable!
On my android phone I (or my backside) click on Tesla app and it opens straight in. Few clicks to purchases. As for amazon one-click - I disabled it when it first came out. Silly to pay high postage charges.

UK - when posted, legally considered delivered (case law even includes expected timescales for first and second class post).

I hope Tesla does refund, but it's unnecessary FUD, hassle & poor app design. I didn't click on the link to the article about the woman/toddler as I didn't want to support FUD or anything anti-Tesla. I doubt if I would have learned the truth in any case.

As for don't give phone to toddlers, it happens a lot. Lots of kids games, learning apps etc to keep kids entertained for a few minutes while parent trying to do something. Some of us set up guest/extra accounts for this - but few people do. Vast majority of people with young kids in my circle do this. Not many have Teslas, but I hope we can all agree that many more will in the future. Any block to adoption/scare stories should be removed

It happened to me. I accidentally butt dialed an FSD purchase and I also would have never known until receiving the credit card statement since the bank gives no alerts of a large purchase unless you set it to and I did not. The only way I found out was the fact that I check and fiddle with my Tesla app at least a couple of times a day so I happened to catch it later in the day. Because the Tesla app is one of my most used apps I think the app was open and when my phone was likely accidentally left unlocked in my pocket that is when the butt dialed FSD purchase happened. I did get a refund without a problem but I would’ve loved to actually try it out. I think one refund max is what you’re allowed to do so that’s the end of the road on that.

You can't even open the Tesla app until you enter your password. I'm not a fan of making people enter passwords multiple times. If you want to leave your Tesla app open, then auto-lock your phone, it's as simple as that.
Uh, not for me. Not on my current Samsung nor my previous LG. App just pops open when you tap it (as it should)

Also, I have my bank send me an email for EVERY. SINGLE. Transaction. Most said emails come through instantly or within minutes. In this day and age of internet fraud/identity theft you kind of have to be stupid not to do this.

Uh, not for me. Not on my current Samsung nor my previous LG. App just pops open when you tap it (as it should)

Also, I have my bank send me an email for EVERY. SINGLE. Transaction. Most said emails come through instantly or within minutes. In this day and age of internet fraud/identity theft you kind of have to be stupid not to do this.

Sigh. The app can only open automatically if you have configured your phone to provide the credentials to Tesla.

The point here is that you can't buy anything without being logged into your Tesla account and Tesla won't let you log into your account without receiving the proper credentials. If that's how you have your phone configured (and I do), you had better use a lock-screen on your phone (and I do).

One more tip to make it impossible to butt dial an upgrade or subscription:

When I click "Upgrades" it says "You have all the available upgrades" and if I click "Subscriptions" it says, "You have all the available subscriptions."

See, impossible for me to butt dial a purchase! ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SpaceCash
FSD is not worth any amount of money right now. We should not have to pay for BETA features. A $10k feature purchase should not be allowed from the phone app anyway. You should have to log into your account from Tesla's web page to do that.

I think the difference here is that I understand what it means to pre-pay for something that hasn't been made yet while you don't. ;)

Reactions: SpaceCash
On my android phone I (or my backside) click on Tesla app and it opens straight in. Few clicks to purchases. As for amazon one-click - I disabled it when it first came out. Silly to pay high postage charges.

UK - when posted, legally considered delivered (case law even includes expected timescales for first and second class post).

I hope Tesla does refund, but it's unnecessary FUD, hassle & poor app design. I didn't click on the link to the article about the woman/toddler as I didn't want to support FUD or anything anti-Tesla. I doubt if I would have learned the truth in any case.

As for don't give phone to toddlers, it happens a lot. Lots of kids games, learning apps etc to keep kids entertained for a few minutes while parent trying to do something. Some of us set up guest/extra accounts for this - but few people do. Vast majority of people with young kids in my circle do this. Not many have Teslas, but I hope we can all agree that many more will in the future. Any block to adoption/scare stories should be removed

I get free shipping whether I use one-click purchase or not. Does Amazon Prime work differently in the UK?

Also, the fact that a lot of people leave guns within toddlers reach does not mean it doesn't have consequences. A lot of people do a lot of foolish things. If you're going to let a toddler play with your phone that probably has all kinds of apps on it, well, it's just common sense that you would make a profile for your toddler so they could only have access to safe kid apps.

Last edited:
Sigh. The app can only open automatically if you have configured your phone to provide the credentials to Tesla.

The point here is that you can't buy anything without being logged into your Tesla account and Tesla won't let you log into your account without receiving the proper credentials. If that's how you have your phone configured (and I do), you had better use a lock-screen on your phone (and I do).

One more tip to make it impossible to butt dial an upgrade or subscription:

When I click "Upgrades" it says "You have all the available upgrades" and if I click "Subscriptions" it says, "You have all the available subscriptions."

See, impossible for me to butt dial a purchase! ;)
If you mean the phone's screen-lock then OK I GUESS, but it sounded like you meant a Tesla-app-specific pw.
I'm also of the "buy all the options NOW" school of thought. Makes life simpler and slightly more fun.
And anyone who gives their baby an unlocked phone deserves the consequences.

I get free shipping whether I use one-click purchase or not. Does Amazon Prime work differently in the UK?

Also, the fact that a lot of people leave guns within toddlers reach does not mean it doesn't have consequences. A lot of people do a lot of foolish things. If you're going to let a toddler play with your phone that probably has all kinds of apps on it, well, it's just common sense that you would make a profile for your toddler so they could only have access to safe kid apps.
Don't do Amazon Prime, I just order when totals above free shipping minimum. Wife prefers another streaming service. I barely watch anything except youtube. When I started with Amazon (c 1997?) Prime wasn't a thing but high postage on heavy books was, but I was a voracious reader of technical (expensive) books. Because of Amazon deceptively getting people to sign up to Prime (they were prosecuted/warned off for illegal activity in UK), I've gone from a huge Amazon customer, to a reluctant one. Fool me once etc. That's why I believe a company that wants loyal customers should be extra fair. Cheap to keep repeat customers compared to acquisition costs. MBAs do tricks, good companies do service