Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Butt dialing while the App is ON - a caution

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

• Yes, give a brief description

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a cautionary tale - true and yes i did this.
Be careful when using the phone app for your car.
i had used my phone to turn on the a/c and did NOT shut the app down.
My wife and I drove to the grocery store and happily went about our shopping when there was an announcement over the stores pa system. "would the owner of the brown Tesla please come to the front counter"
That's not a good sign. So instead i ran outside to see my car in the middle of the aisle.
i quickly put it back into it's parking space, went back into the store while my wife stood watch over the naughty car. Ready to pounce if it decided to move again.
And, yes it did. Now we were totally confused - had someone hacked into the car, has it started to act on its own?
Meanwhile, back in the store five minutes later i decided to look at my phone and noticed the app was still on and in summon mode. Dutifully waiting for me to tell it to move forward or backward.

Moral of the story;
When using the phone app always remember to shut the app down before putting your phone into your pocket.

Great advice! I am a butt dialer extraordinaire. I'll now be sure to close when done with the app. Glad it turned out humorous and no one nailed as they drove down the aisle. But it would have been fun to watch if someone happened to be walking by and the haunted car started toward them then stopped. Might have thought it was going to follow them home.

a cautionary tale - true and yes i did this.
Be careful when using the phone app for your car.
i had used my phone to turn on the a/c and did NOT shut the app down.
My wife and I drove to the grocery store and happily went about our shopping when there was an announcement over the stores pa system. "would the owner of the brown Tesla please come to the front counter"
That's not a good sign. So instead i ran outside to see my car in the middle of the aisle.
i quickly put it back into it's parking space, went back into the store while my wife stood watch over the naughty car. Ready to pounce if it decided to move again.
And, yes it did. Now we were totally confused - had someone hacked into the car, has it started to act on its own?
Meanwhile, back in the store five minutes later i decided to look at my phone and noticed the app was still on and in summon mode. Dutifully waiting for me to tell it to move forward or backward.

Moral of the story;
When using the phone app always remember to shut the app down before putting your phone into your pocket.

I'm confused because it's supposed to use the key signal to verify that you're near the car. That limitation was in the US version on release as far as I can remember. Why would they not have that limitation?

They did add the "hold down" to try to prevent butt moving, but that can be turned off.

I pulled the car into the garage using summon on an iPhone. Hit the close garage door on our barge door wall and went inside. Apparently I had butt dialed my car to reverse in summon mode. Needless to say car damaged and garage door ruined. Please be sure you either turn off your phone or better yet, log out of the app before you walk away from the car once it is where you want it. Buyer beware. It cost me a fortune.

I pulled the car into the garage using summon on an iPhone. Hit the close garage door on our barge door wall and went inside. Apparently I had butt dialed my car to reverse in summon mode. Needless to say car damaged and garage door ruined. Please be sure you either turn off your phone or better yet, log out of the app before you walk away from the car once it is where you want it. Buyer beware. It cost me a fortune.

I thought the car would stop moving if it detected something in its path. I can't see how it would miss a garage door.

Similar happened to me at a Home Depot. While shopping the wife texted me to ask if I had tried to summon the car. Sure enough the app was on the summon screen and said summon had been cancelled. I ran out to the parking lot but the car was where I left it. Scary though. Now I always fully shut down the app before switching to another app. I have an iPhone.

I thought the car would stop moving if it detected something in its path. I can't see how it would miss a garage door.

The roll up garage door came down on top of the car. No sensors on top. Car kept backing up pulling the garage door out with it. What is not clear is why the floor sensors didn't stop the door although it might have been too late.