Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Butt Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of Model S 75D on Friday, September 9. On Tuesday this week somebody came to my office to inform me that my car had moved to the middle of the parking lot blocking the exit. Of course I quickly went to the car and parked it properly. From Tesla service I found that my Phone App had initiated the Summon command. I have no idea how it happened. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy 7Edge.

In a way it is similar to Butt Calling by the phone. But it can be dangerous if the car blocks the traffic.

Did this happen because your phone was in your pocket and somehow it unlocked, launched the Tesla app, and started to summon the car? I.e., a traditional "butt dial." Or was it a software issue?

In other words, if this was a one-in-a-million occurrence because a random sequence of physical touches to your phone cause it, I would worry much less about it. Just keep your phone on your desk at work. Use your fingerprint scanner or something to keep your phone locked if you don't already.

If this just "happened" because of some glitch without any physical input to the phone, it's much more worrisome.

Did this happen because your phone was in your pocket and somehow it unlocked, launched the Tesla app, and started to summon the car? I.e., a traditional "butt dial." Or was it a software issue?

In other words, if this was a one-in-a-million occurrence because a random sequence of physical touches to your phone cause it, I would worry much less about it. Just keep your phone on your desk at work. Use your fingerprint scanner or something to keep your phone locked if you don't already.

If this just "happened" because of some glitch without any physical input to the phone, it's much more worrisome.

The phone was in my pocket as I walked from one office to another. As Tesla service told me, the summon command was issued from the phone. May be the App should make it a little more difficult for such occurrence.

The phone was in my pocket as I walked from one office to another. As Tesla service told me, the summon command was issued from the phone. May be the App should make it a little more difficult for such occurrence.

Maybe it should. To do a remote start of my Volt with the app I have to enter my 4 digit PIN after clicking the remote start button. (And I have to enter the PIN each time I activate remote start) Something like that would help reduce inadvertent butt summons.

Most impressive.

Have you tried, er, interacting with a piano keyboard? You could be sitting on the next Number One rather than just a number two.

You should grab this opportunity with both hands.

Etc etc

• Funny
Reactions: Hrhkee
The S7 has a feature where it will turn the screen off once you put it in your pocket. I believe it uses the proximity sensor just like when you make a call and put your phone to your ear.

I used to have a lot of random things happen with my phone in my pocket because of the physical home button. I enabled this feature and haven't had a problem since.

That's one big butt!

Seriously though, that is a big deal to me. I would actually be more worried about a seemingly random series of presses setting off the car than if the app was running in your pocket inadvertently. Did you have the app up on your phone the last time you put it in your pocket? I could understand that more than if the app were not up and it somehow got launched. I keep my app active all the time, in the background, so that I can get my notifications. I actually don't use the Tesla app for anything aside from that. I use Energi or Remote S for managing the car.

The fact that this happened creeps me out and I use my fob for summon.

I was thinking this was going to be an inadvertent double click of the park lever until I saw that Tesla said the phone app initiated summon - that seemed a lot easier to do.

There's an option for 'continuous press' in the center console settings for Summon - if that's set to require the press, the butt dialed Summon becomes harder to initiate and most likely stops earlier.