Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Butterfly Doors for Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

OnceI I stumbled onto a website offering a mod to the roadster doors, making them go upwards.

Now I cannot find it anymore, also not after three days of Google.

Does anyone know these are still available?

I thought the Roadster has a lowered the sill at the bottom of the doorway, as compared to the Elise. If so, how can the doors be the same?

Vertically opening doors would be cool, but looking at videos of other cars that had this arrangement makes me wonder how practical they'd be. OTOH, one normally doesn't hear "practical" and "Roadster" in the same sentence...

Hello

OnceI I stumbled onto a website offering a mod to the roadster doors, making them go upwards.

Now I cannot find it anymore, also not after three days of Google.

Does anyone know these are still available?

Yea do not do it; I have a bmw i8 and the doors going up are stunning but there is no point to do it on the Roadster. The Roadster already has that beautiful and stunning appeal that attracts people even more than my i8 without the need of lambo doors.

42229908_2113524858712012_3861541551792455680_n.jpg

Reactions: ICON and Mark77a
I always thought butterfly, gull wing and scissor wing doors looked great, but my garage has a low roof, so I'd never be able to get in the car. I had a Model X loaner once and couldn't open the doors!

Though butterfly/scissor/gull wing doors may be cool (certainly attracts attention), our cars were never designed with them in mind. OEM designed like Lamborghini or Mclaren are probably much better designed than retrofitting special hinges onto an existing car. Also, I've heard that generally the ingress and egress is more difficult with these doors. Lastly, some people think it is an advantage that with these doors, you can fit into tighter parking spots... but that just means whoever you park next to will usually leave you with a nice door ding.

Jason - can you provide me (here or in a PM) on your impression of the I8? That car has intrigued me. In the future, I plan on getting a ALFA Romeo 4C, but have considered the I8. I am a hardcore sportscar fan, but also have a green/eco side and thought maybe the I8 would cover both interest. Or, it might just muddy both sides and try and do too much with one tool.