Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buttershrimp's FSD Coast to Coast Event- "Ride or Die"

Are you in?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1 hour is nothing.

No joke, two day ago my car drove me from the bottom of my driveway in the suburbs of NYC all the way to New Hampshire. Nearly four hours and hundreds of miles. It did everything and it did it perfectly. I’m floored. I’ve had Beta for a long time [98%] but it has now gotten to the next level.

I filmed the whole thing with a GoPro but sadly I had hypersmooth on so the camera algorithm kept panning back and forth trying to “level” the video as I drove around turns. I’ll have to do it again. :)

That being said I’d rather drive across the country than be driven. Mad max style in the cybertruck and also I plan on taking the EV record when the Roadster ever comes out.

On longer routes, even the crippled EU version of NoA (Navigate-on-Autopilot) reduces stress and fatigue. And while I can understand why you would prefer to drive by yourself, a fully autonomous (while on public roads) coast to coast ride in a Tesla would be an eye opener for the general public that is blissfully unaware of the latest state of the art.

What's throwing off NoA sometimes in my experience (EU version) are construction sites on the motorway. What's your experience? Is this a likely showstopper?

I have a feeling it’s going to be Cybertruck. And I am pretty sure I’m going to have to modify it to be something super stupid and unexpected… perhaps a mad max theme or perhaps a Dan O’Dowd themed decoration with kid bones dragging behind the truck like wedding bells.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I am actually on my own version right now, but I am not doing Ride or Die style, I am stopping for frozen custard and sleeping in the car at City Halls that provide free charging so I can wake and hit the road. I have been to several sites along the way that had 6 chargers and 3 people where there when I showed up. I can't imagine more than a few participants riding together in a coast to coast event. I am doing Supercharger Hunting while I am on this trip, so I stop at each and every one I haven't previously touched so I often just charge for a few seconds and I am back on the road. Perhaps if your event had a route that allowed everyone to only charge for 5 minutes everyone could get thru each stop rather quickly even though there would be more stops.

On my way back I hope to participate in the May Route 66 event and I can finally drive from Chicago to LA (almost 2000 miles along the way) and hit each of the named Superchargers in the song now that St. Louis has opened (if you forget Winona). I planned this a LONG time ago, but I was waiting on that finally Supercharger so was excited this winter to see it come online. Too bad I couldn't find anyone interested in driving their car and coming with me.

I like multiple coasts, multiple schedules and unique challenges. I don’t see this being a 1000 car event, though that would be amazing.

I think as long as you keep doing the sleeping in the car thing, we can train you to start fights with bikers and ICE drivers as sort of a blood sport thing, will call it, “Randy time”

I’m liking this idea a lot. Even if it doesn’t happen, we will claim you killed someone in Tucson

Not a biker, I'm a biker (electric) and I like bikers. And once I get my CyberTruck I fear I may start understanding pickup drivers, but at the moment all the Coal Rolling I've gotten makes me think they are all asses, although none on this trip...

2 mini drives, SW Florida to Buffalo, (~2,800+ miles + 400 miles side trips)(wedding) and (this week) SW Florida to Key West, "mile marker Zero on Rt 1" (600+ miles I-75 and Rt 41 Alligator Alley)
1 torrential down pour that overwhelmed the Autosteer (take over NOW!!) + 1 coal rolling :cool: :)
not quite "coast to coast"

I am actually on my own version right now, but I am not doing Ride or Die style
Yeah, to follow up I got back a week ago and the entire trip thru L.A. to LA then north to WI and then back via Rt. 66 to CA was entirely problem free. I spent about $500 on Supercharging over the two week trip and added not quite 200 more SpCs to my total, moved up from 22 to 16 on the leaderboard (didn't last). Arrived near the end of my trip at the event in AZ, a 50 mile ride with 1000 other cars to Kingman for the annual Rt. 66 celebration. After driving 12 days I arrived one hour early (basically "on time") to the ride, so thanks to ABRP for the accurate planning.

That's a bucket list item checked off. Got home to find the 77-inch LG OLED C2 at Costco with a $1500 price tag (down from $3400) to clear out the demo unit, so perhaps that's TWO items on my list done at almost the same time.

Reactions: AMPd and wws