Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Button to open charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm going mad but I thought I read a post from someone the other day which said they'd added a button onto a charge plug to allow them to open the charge port when charging at home? (as per how the Tesla chargers work).

I've just had a quick search and can't find it so if anyone has any info (like where to buy it) then please could you explain?

Thanks.

You can also buy a kit, either just the button: Tesla retrofit button kit - evChargeking or a kit that allows a Dostar type 2 connector to have the shell replaced with one that includes the button, but encased in a rubber seal: Tesla mini connector kit - evChargeking

The same people also supply cables that include the Tesla button, both tethered ones to fit to an existing charge point: Unique Tesla charging cables - evChargeking and normal charge cables but with the button at the car end: Unique Tesla charging cables with Tesla integrated command button - evChargeking

(I have no connection with them, other than as a customer - both my cables have their Tesla buttons and seem to work fine)

Just as a heads up, there are two functions involved with the Tesla button on the cable (plus, as above, you don't need it to open the Model 3 charge port).

The RF transmission at 433 MHz only normally opens the charge port door, which is handy, but sometimes it's also useful to be able to stop a charge and unlatch the connector as well.

This isn't done by the RF remote bit of the button, but by physically breaking the proximity pilot connection in the connector, which signals the car to stop requesting charge power and unlatches the connector so it can be removed.

A stand-alone remote button, that's not wired to the connector, can do the first task, open the charge port, but cannot do the second task, stop a charge and unlatch the connector. If there are times when the car is charging and you need to use it, then it's very handy to be able to just stop it charging, so that the connector can be quickly removed and you can drive off.

Should be able to send the charge port open bit sequence using that, using the 433.92 MHz mode, I think. Whether it's quicker than just pressing the corner of the charge port door I'm not sure, plus, if triggered by a HA input, you'd have to get out to the car before the charge port door automatically closed again.

Reactions: DaddyCool
Arduino charge door opener

I needed a charge door opener for my Tesla when I use a non-Tesla cable, so I used an Arduino with a STX882 transmitter to build this into my wall charge plug holder. When pulling out the charge plug from the holder, the charge door opens.
The hardware cost is perhaps $4 from eBay.

I captured the signal from the Tesla charge plug and made a program to replicate it.

I shared the minimal Arduino code for this on github.com/fredilarsen/TeslaChargePortOpener. It is tested and feature complete.
You can build it very compact if you need to, for example with an ATtiny, and perhaps you could integrate it into a charge plug as well.
I just used an Arduino Nano along with the STX882 in a small electronics box, very quickly assembled, beside the charge plug holder.

I hope somebody will respond if they look at this and actually use it :)

I used a 433MHz transmitter for Europe. The program will likely work just as fine with a 315MHz transmitter if needed.

Fred

Guys, Just to add to this..... The button doesent actually work when the car is asleep.

So if you plugged it in for the night andwant to go unplug it, you have to wake the car first. Either by opening a door or using the app direct.

Bit annoying if you just want to plug/unplug it and not drive. Or in the morning if you havent pre-conditioned it or opened the app.

You can aslo buy Type2 cables with the button fitted. Charging cable with Tesla command button - evChargeking Although probably not avaible now due to you-know-what.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Arduino charge door opener

I needed a charge door opener for my Tesla when I use a non-Tesla cable, so I used an Arduino with a STX882 transmitter to build this into my wall charge plug holder. When pulling out the charge plug from the holder, the charge door opens.
The hardware cost is perhaps $4 from eBay.

I captured the signal from the Tesla charge plug and made a program to replicate it.

I shared the minimal Arduino code for this on github.com/fredilarsen/TeslaChargePortOpener. It is tested and feature complete.
You can build it very compact if you need to, for example with an ATtiny, and perhaps you could integrate it into a charge plug as well.
I just used an Arduino Nano along with the STX882 in a small electronics box, very quickly assembled, beside the charge plug holder.

I hope somebody will respond if they look at this and actually use it :)

I used a 433MHz transmitter for Europe. The program will likely work just as fine with a 315MHz transmitter if needed.

Fred

Does it also allow the cable to be unlocked?

Does it also allow the cable to be unlocked?
No, that is not possible through RF. I believed so when I built this, but it is not the case.

The "unlock cable" signal seems to go through wires. I am not sure if it goes to the charger eelctronics through the cable or directly to the car through the plug.

I missed the "unlock cable" functionality as well, so I built a module that can use RF or web API (configurable) for opening the charge door, and web API for unlocking the cable when I push a physical button on the wall plug holder (within arm's reach from the car).

All this messing about! Some EVs unlock the cable when you unlock the car ... seems sensible, and an easy option for Tesla to include! I realise that some people want the charging to continue when they go to check something in the car but it could easily offer an onscreen button asking if you want the charge to re-start/continue.

Any pics and more details please?
Sorry for a very late response, the notification must have been lost in the garbage mail. I will make sure it does not happen again.

If you are familiar with Arduino it is not very much work. I use and Arduino Nano ($4) plus transmitter ($2) and this library for sending the RF signal when the switch in the charge plug wall holder is released: github.com/fredilarsen/TeslaChargeDoorOpener. It contains some instructions for building and programming the Arduino/RF part.

The part for unlocking the charge cable is a little more detailed. The Arduino uses an Ethernet shield (either directly, or in my case via a ModuleInterface/PJON network) and this library (github.com/fredilarsen/ReconnectingMqttClient) to increase a counter in a MQTT broker (Mosquitto) that I have running in my home automation setup. Then Home Assistant has a Tesla integration that I have set to trigger a charge cable unlock whenever the MQTT topic value changes.

The hardware is quite simplistic and could probably have had some better finish, but here it is:
20200802_182821.jpg
I can supply more details if anybody should be interested.