TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

buttons to open doors are not placed in th best positons

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by achen, Jun 26, 2016.

1. achen

achen Member

I just took delivery of my car 3 days ago, and have made mistake clicking on the wrong buttons on the screen when trying to open doors.

I know it might just take some time to get used to it, however, with the image of car shown there, shouldn't the buttons for front doors be placed on the top (front) and buttons for falcon doors in the bottom (rear) ?

• Like x 1
  2. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

I felt exactly the same way when I saw that on my test drive. In the book The Design of Everyday Things (https://ia800300.us.archive.org/4/items/DesignOfEverydayThings/DesignOfEverydayThings_text.pdf) there is an example of a similar design flaw on oven ranges, where the knobs to turn on the burners didn't align with the phyisical, and the wrong burner is turned on often. See pages 75-77 in the above book (PDF pages 90-91).

BadBurner.png
    The above is an example of bad design (seem familiar?)

BurnerGood.png
    This is better.

Seem if they replace the image of the car with one taken from above, it would be much more obvious their layout is incorrect.

• Love x 1
  3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Wait until they change it and see what kind of SS that kicks off. :)

• Funny x 3
  4. Leodoc

Leodoc Member

maybe the FWD buttons are high because the doors open higher? :confused:

5. 1208

1208 Active Member

The image of the car should be 45 degree facing down onto it with the front at top and falcon doors at the bottom.