Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buttons to open FWD are gone after 8.1 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spoke to Tesla service on the phone - it seems like it's intentional. I use to be able to able to set Full Open in my garage, despite sensor warnings (I have enough clearance). Now it appears they have disabled that, and force them to open low if the sensor has warnings. Kind of disappointing. I suppose it's to prevent more accidents with the doors hitting things.

Also, it's kind of odd with the new setting, in Auto it only gives you one button on the touch-screen while with Low you see two buttons (if sensors allow). I'd rather have the choice. But I suppose it affects how the doors open from the door handles and key fob.

I noticed the same thing this morning in my garage after updating to 8.1 The FWD have PLENTY of clearance to open fully inside my garage and have been doing so for several months. Now with this new setting they only open halfway and there doesn't seem to be a way to override it from the screen.

What kind of ridiculous update is this? My wife will be pissed when she sees how much more difficult it will be to get the kids in/out of the car with only half open FWD.

My FWD have not changed with the 8.1 update. SamoSamo
IMG_0559.JPG

Last edited:
My FWD have not changed with the 8.1 update. SamoSamo
That’s because they are not fully open.

What happens when you press the red button on the door when they are open in the low position? Can they be raised manually or does the door want to close first? What about using the pillar control? If full height is achievable by someone standing at the door then maybe this won’t be too bad.

That’s because they are not fully open.

What happens when you press the red button on the door when they are open in the low position? Can they be raised manually or does the door want to close first? What about using the pillar control? If full height is achievable by someone standing at the door then maybe this won’t be too bad.

Alright, so just played with it some more and it seems like they didn't think it through. I could manually override them to go fully up only with the pillar control (not with the UI or the red button) and the annoying beeps. This prompted me to set Full Open. I did that and then could not open them with the UI until I cancelled Full Open mode. This is just a terrible user experience.

fwd81-3-half.jpg fwd81-2-cant-open.jpg fwd81-1-force-open.jpg

Same issue with my Model X. I called customer service and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. I can't imagine Tesla would make this change purposely. I can still open the door fully from the FOB, but on the touchscreen the buttons are completely gone. I'm pretty pissed off about it.
IMG_1179.jpg

To me it seems, from the reports, that the sensors "remember" the garage door "longer" after driving underneath it and thus open like they are expecting the garage door to still be in their way. Perhaps Tesla altered this parameter, while also disabling UI override buttons...

Alright, so just played with it some more and it seems like they didn't think it through. I could manually override them to go fully up only with the pillar control (not with the UI or the red button) and the annoying beeps. This prompted me to set Full Open. I did that and then could not open them with the UI until I cancelled Full Open mode. This is just a terrible user experience.

View attachment 220699 View attachment 220700 View attachment 220701
This is exactly what happens to me.

If I don't set "always open fully at this location" then I have the buttons on the screen but the doors only open halfway. No way to override from the screen. Doesn't matter if I'm in "low" or "auto" mode.

Once I set "always open fully at this location" there are no more buttons on the screen. However I can open the fwd from the exterior door handles and they do open fully.

Somebody definitely did not think this through.

Same issue here. I do not believe it is limited purely by sensor data as it will not even full open when outside with no obstructions. Has anyone else tried theirs outside?

I spoke with main tech support yesterday and they had no clue. I discussed with my service center today and sent screenshots. Their lead tech said it is a firmware issue that is being worked on. I cannot imagine this is intended behavior.

View attachment 220699 View attachment 220700 View attachment 220701

This is the exact process I had to use to get the FWD to open fully in my garage or near my house.