TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Butyl rubber on window

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by steilkurve, Jul 11, 2015.

1. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Afternoon. P85D sat in hot sun for prolonged time. Shortly after, I rolled up the back right window which was the most exposed and two streaks of black 'tar' showed up. Searching a bit, I understand this would be excess butyl rubber from within the window assembly. How do folks suggest I clean this? I do not want to damage the window obviously. Regular car window cleaner was my first thought but the stuff seems pretty sticky. Perhaps bug and tar remover? Other thoughts? Thanks.

2. dennis

dennis P85D

I've had the same problem repeatedly with one of my P85D windows. I use a single edge razor blade to scrape it off and then clean the window with Invisible Glass cleaner.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I had a little. Solvent (paint thinner) cleaned it easily, and did not return.

4. mmccord

mmccord Member

Mine kept coming back until i brought it in for service. Tesla fixed it right on the first try and haven't seen it since.

5. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Ok. Thanks all. Ended up doing my usual wash of foaming then warm soapy water bucket for the mitt. Came right off. I'll see if it returns.

6. Barry

Barry Member

Just happened on on my my windows. I called the Service Center and they are sending a Ranger out in a few weeks to fix it (free only if you're within 15 miles of the SC). Tech said he'll be removing the inside of the door to remove the excess and reapply(?) the sealant.

7. stevem

stevem Member

Rubbing alcohol works very well on that stuff too. They fixed it last year on mine, and it showed up again this year, and I had them fix it again. Hoping it doesn't come back.

8. Barry

Barry Member

Did it happen on one window or all four?

9. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

image.jpeg Had this too. Just remove with window cleaner or some rubbing alcohol.

10. stevem

stevem Member

Mine was just on the driver's window. I started by just using rubbing alcohol but it happened every time I opened the door (the window would roll down a bit and back up) or if I opened the window.