Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy 2021 Model 3 or wait for my 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Hoping someone can help me figure out best course of action. I have a White 2022 M3 RWD on order. EDD is November 8 - December 13. 19 inch rims included. $53,000 out the door with tax.

However, a dealership not far from me has a 2021 Model 3 with Aeros, made in October 2021 for basically the same price just shy of 12,000 miles on it. It does show two prior owners.

The longer I wait, lower the value of my current car seems to get which I’m relying on as part of my Downpayment. $10,000 total.

Should I wait? Or should I go with the 2021? The car is like new except a couple of paint chips on the bumper that could be touched up. Mercedes dealership selling it even said they’d do that for me. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Is the question " would I wait 2-3 months and get a brand new car thats one model year newer, for the same price as a car with 12k miles on it that is a model year older but buying now?

Even typing that out, it seems like its pretty clear that if you can get something new that you want for the exact same price as the same thing used (by 2 owners), that most would wait for the new thing unless there are extremely extenuating circumstances.

To answer your question, what is my thought... This wouldnt even be close, I would wait for the new one, if it were me.

Reactions: oreobbq
Is the question " would I wait 2-3 months and get a brand new car thats one model year newer, for the same price as a car with 12k miles on it that is a model year older but buying now?

Even typing that out, it seems like its pretty clear that if you can get something new that you want for the exact same price as the same thing used (by 2 owners), that most would wait for the new thing unless there are extremely extenuating circumstances.

To answer your question, what is my thought... This wouldnt even be close, I would wait for the new one, if it were me.
Thank you! You’re probably right. I find myself highly impatient! But the wait will be worth it. Just concerned it’ll be longer than Nov/Dec. I only ordered 1 month ago.

Hey everyone,

Hoping someone can help me figure out best course of action. I have a White 2022 M3 RWD on order. EDD is November 8 - December 13. 19 inch rims included. $53,000 out the door with tax.

However, a dealership not far from me has a 2021 Model 3 with Aeros, made in October 2021 for basically the same price just shy of 12,000 miles on it. It does show two prior owners.

The longer I wait, lower the value of my current car seems to get which I’m relying on as part of my Downpayment. $10,000 total.

Should I wait? Or should I go with the 2021? The car is like new except a couple of paint chips on the bumper that could be touched up. Mercedes dealership selling it even said they’d do that for me. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
There are probably 100 or more improvements between a fresh off the assembly line Model 3 and an 10/21 Model 3. Tesla is not like the Old car manufacturers. They are continuously updating there cars. Ryan Shaw a popular YouTuber Just took delivery of a new Model Y replacing his original one. He was able to track down 37 improvements to just the suspension. Model Years mean nothing in the Tesla World. Date and place of manufacture do. Wait for the car you ordered.

There are probably 100 or more improvements between a fresh off the assembly line Model 3 and an 10/21 Model 3. Tesla is not like the Old car manufacturers. They are continuously updating there cars. Ryan Shaw a popular YouTuber Just took delivery of a new Model Y replacing his original one. He was able to track down 37 improvements to just the suspension. Model Years mean nothing in the Tesla World. Date and place of manufacture do. Wait for the car you ordered.
Buy the used one, IF….you can use all the logic above to negotiate a steep discount on the 21….5-6k or more.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!
If you're open to buying a used Tesla you should check Tesla website. A 2021 model 3 RWD with 11k miles can be had for about 51k. That's with full FSD and additional 1 year /10k warranty. These cars are usually not LFP.

2021 to 2022 saw a significant battery change for standard range models:
  • Most 2021: 55 kWh NCA battery. Less weight, but more capacity loss over time, and recommended to charge to 100% only for trips when you need the full capacity.
  • Some late 2021: 54 kWh LFP battery. More weight, but less capacity loss over time, and charging to 100% is less detrimental in terms of capacity loss than with NCA batteries. BMS inaccuracy is more likely if not charged to 100% regularly (at least weekly).
  • 2022: 60 kWh LFP battery.

Reactions: ColoradoMike