TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Buy a Supercharger from Alibaba?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Chris TX, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Just found this thing for sale. It says it's got a maximum of 50kW output, but I can't see any pictures of the plug. I bet it's CHAdeMO that happens to work with the Model S if you use the adapter.

Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

2. middly

middly Member

Interesting...not sure I'd pay 3k+ to try it. I do believe that the future of home charging will be a station like that either in your garage or right outside your garage and we'll have near-supercharger capabilities eventually.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The page you linked to states in the title that it is a J1772 and in the specs that the output power is 90 kW.

The minimum order quantity is 10.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Doesn't the J1772 spec max out at 20kW or is that only for AC?

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

That's for AC - which is what J1772 is basically about. There's a signal contained in J1772 which announces the charging station is a DC station - causing the car to initiate a separate communication stream for DCFC, but J1772 and it's limits are all AC AFAIK. (Tesla complies 100% with J1772 signaling despite using a different physical plug - but when a Model S gets the "I am a DCFC" signal, it reaches out with CANBus for a Supercharger instead of the CCS signaling.)

I'm not sure what exactly they are offering, but I'd bet it isn't an actual Supercharger cabinet. AFAIK, Alibaba is a link to direct ordering from Chinese factories - and the Supercharger components (which are the same guts as Model S charger modules) Tesla has said they build in house in California.
    Walter

6. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Looking further down the listing, it is CHAdeMO.

7. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#7 ToddRLockwood, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    By the way, a little known fact is that Tesla does sell Superchargers for private use. They've already done so. For obvious reasons, the majority of these have been installed at business locations, not homes. (You'd be unlikely to find adequate power in a residential area.) From what I understand, the basic 2-car setup runs around $100K. I'm not sure about the output. It may depend on the utility connection.

8. ariporad

ariporad Member

Where did you hear that?

9. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#9 ToddRLockwood, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    From a company source. It makes sense that Tesla would accommodate these rare requests. All of the hardware already exists. There are commercial applications, such as taxi companies, where a private supercharger would be well worth the investment.