Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy a used 2019 Model S P100D 11,000 k's or new Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am looking to buy my first Tesla and have an option on a 2019 Model S P100D with only 11,000 kilometres with every option ticked (was an ex Tesla demo car and sold in 2020 so warranty until Aug 2024) or a brand new 2021 Model 3 Performance. The price difference between each car is an extra $40,000 NZD for the P100D (approx $29k USD).

What are the thoughts here on which one to choose? I have only ever driven a Model 3 Performance on a quick demo and loved it, but I do like the idea of having more luxury driving in the Model S

Thanks all! :)

(I have posted this on the Model S forum as it will be good to get Model S and Model 3 owners opinions)

If money isn't an object, I would go for the S P100D.

We currently own a 2017 S100D, a 2017 S 75D, a 2018 Model 3 Performance and a 2020 Model Y Performance. I will choose to take the 'old' S100D on a road trip any day over the Model 3 or Y. The suspension and noise levels are much better in the S and I also have the instrument cluster as well. For around town trips, the Model Y works fine. It's ok on road trips as well but is rougher and louder than our S. I prefer not to drive or ride in the Model 3 and we're in the process of selling it. The Model 3 is definitely a good car but it doesn't have nearly as much cargo room as the Model S or Model Y. Some people prefer the "nimble" feel of the Model 3. I'm not one of them. Do you know if the 2019 S P100D is a 'raven' model? If so, it will have an even better suspension than the 2017 Model S that I drive. It will also have a much better range than the Model 3 Performance. The 2019 Model S might already have AP3 hardware (FSD computer) or it can be easily added (and maybe included in the deal if it isn't already). This brings it up-to-date functionality-wise to be the same as the current 2021 Model 3 Performance. Technically, the Model 3 might charge faster at some Superchargers but since it has a smaller battery, it can be a wash. I've done a caravan road trip with a 3 and the S and the 3 usually ended up needing to charge longer since it had a smaller battery (even though it might've been able to charge at higher kWs part of the time).

The back seats in the Model S aren't the best but I never sit in them. The Model Y seats have a lot more room but unfortunately, that's not an option for you yet.

Since you posted in both forums, I wouldn't be surprised if this thread ends up being more pro-Model 3 while the Model S thread will probably be pro-Model S.

Reactions: Bwettt
Thank you, great response and I posted in both forums to try and get people like you who have both to respond :) .

The money is not the barrier, it is just old tech versus new was the key concern. We will not see the new Plaid or Plaid+ in New Zealand until late 2022 or early 2023 so this is really the only time for me to get a Model S and P100D is very attractive.

I have only ever driven a Model 3 Performance on a quick demo

I highly recommend that you test drive the Model S. I own a P3D and love it. I always thought I would like the Model S more, until I was given a Model S as a loaner while having my P3D serviced. Although the ride was "cushier" and there was less road noise, the windshield on the Model 3 is larger and the cabin feels more open. I felt more "closed in" in the Model 3 cabin and found myself preferring the cabin of the Model 3. Plus the P3D is indeed more nimble. It is like the difference between a BMW M3 vs a BMW 7 series. The 7 series is larger with a more comfortable ride, but the BMW M3 is has a sportier ride with much more feel for the road. For me personally, I prefer not having the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. I can see my speed just fine on the center screen and I like having the long air vent right behind the steering wheel. I can direct the AC to hit me in the face or chest during the hot summer months.

While I am sure you will get many different opinions in this forum, I think your best bet is to test drive and experience the Model S for yourself.

Reactions: Thp3 and Akr
It really depends on what you want, and probably also what else you have. My 3 Performance is my car and fits my desires. Smaller, nimble, and sans children as much as possible. We have had an X as our "family" car (and are now waiting for a replacement X) so I can tick all the boxes around passenger space, cargo capacity, comfort, etc in that car.

If I had just one to choose between those two, the S P100D is what I'd select. The fact that it is disgustingly fast is a cherry on top!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The model S is a solid sedan. As long as it has the new version of auto pilot and FSD capable that’s fine. I have a model x and drove a model 3 just for fun and while I understand the appeal for the m3 I prefer the solid feeling of the model X.
Hi Larmor, thanks for your response. The P100D has hardware version 2.5 so I have to pay for self-driving with the car eligible for the free upgrade to version 3.

I had a SP100D for 2 years and it was very much a one-trick pony (a very good trick) if the battery wasn't warm and the charge level high then the performance was so so, I found the car just ploughed into bumps and didn't feel confident on the bends.
I now have a P3D and find the performance on point until the battery drops below 20%, so much more useable, the ride and cornering are much more like a 'normal' car.
Personally, I'd buy the P3D again, not the SP100D.

Update on which way I turned:

I opted for the P100D as it was truly incredible to drive, immaculate condition and fully optioned. Clearly it had been looked after. The advice on trying both is key, you will see what is right for you (or not). The comfort and size made the difference and it is more of a family car we can use on longer distances.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it was truly appreciated. The Model 3 Performance is another exceptional car and I am sure I will end up with one another day.

Update on which way I turned:

I opted for the P100D as it was truly incredible to drive, immaculate condition and fully optioned. Clearly it had been looked after. The advice on trying both is key, you will see what is right for you (or not). The comfort and size made the difference and it is more of a family car we can use on longer distances.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it was truly appreciated. The Model 3 Performance is another exceptional car and I am sure I will end up with one another day.
Great choice; a late model P100D at anywhere close to the price of a 3P is a fantastic deal. While Tesla is always improving, not much changed from '19 to present on MS. You're gonna love it!! Enjoy.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Great choice; a late model P100D at anywhere close to the price of a 3P is a fantastic deal. While Tesla is always improving, not much changed from '19 to present on MS. You're gonna love it!! Enjoy.
Thank you, In New Zealand we have been unable to order a new Model S for a long time now and the Tesla website states that if you order today, it will likely be the end of 2022 for delivery....realistically early 2023 knowing how times push out. So this was a great opportunity to get an incredibly low mileage P100D :)