Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy a used 2021 MY SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am looking for your opinion...

I was planning on ordering a 7 seat Model Y Standard Range, but I missed out before it was yanked. I have a large family so this would be a good second car to our minivan and it qualified for the Quebec $8,000 EV rebate.

I found the local Tesla dealer had one used MY SR 5 seater left and put down a deposit. Now I have to decide if I am going ahead with the purchase...

The price is the same as a new MY 5 seat SR was going for, but it has 1,300 miles on it and a bit of paint damage on one door and does not qualify for the $8,000 rebate. Since it is Certified Pre Owned, there is an additional year of warranty, and they activated FSD.

Do I wait to see if Tesla comes out with a new version of the MY that is cheaper than the current LR and then order the 7 seater I prefer and get the $8,000 rebate or buy this one and then sell it later if need be. The downside of selling is that I lose out on all the taxes paid even if the car keeps its value for resale.

Any good suggestions???

Cheers!
Sam

Were you planning on getting FSD? If not, then aren't you talking about an 18,000$ increase (FSD + no tax savings) vs. your original plans? To me, that is quite a steep difference. If you aren't interested in the FSD, wouldn't a new LR perhaps be a better option?

The question you pose is difficult. I just saw a YT video of a family of 7 taking a 700 mile (r.t.) voyage in a 7 seater Y.
While they all fit in the car now, as the kids get older, it will get more difficult. It's probably fine for the next few years.
You have to access your current and future needs.

Similar to the long trips I was subjected to as a kid in the station wagon. I also went the mini-van path years ago when my kids wee growing up. Kids, dogs, friends. The mini-van handle it well. The van wasn't a blast to drive, although I did manage to peel out once with another parent teasing me with their stick shift car at a stop light. The kids enjoyed it as you could see the moms in both vehicles yelling at the driver. The other driver was also impressed with me being able to pull that off. ;)

IMHO, the used MY SR will be great for running around town. That also means you'll rarely use the FSD if ever.
If you have young boys, I would actually hesitate about having them drive an EV as they get older. However, you can possibly turn on chill mode (and max speed) to keep them under control but unless those features can be locked, they will also likely know how to turn it back on. I wonder, given how I drove my RX-4, whether I would have survived if I had an EV back then. However Teslas are incredibly safe.

Think about what you need going forward for you and the family.
May the force be with you.

Thanks guys. My 16 year old daughter is in the middle of getting her drivers license - yay ;)

I wouldn't try and fit the whole gang on long trips, just extra space around the city.

Thanks for the idea. I asked tesla about the FSD credit. I will update you when I hear back.

The SA said she spoke with management and they confirmed that it is not possible to reduce the price of the vehicle.
I canceled the order and hope that they will start producing the SR again so I can buy the 7 seater.
@Bridor that was only to sell off existing inventory, not taking anymore orders.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Used cars with FSD are sold as is. They likely only bumped the price of the car about 2/3 to 3/4 the actual value of FSD so you get a great deal on it but you have to buy it with FSD. If it is similarly priced to a new SR without FSD before your rebate then your rebate is basically covering FSD. It is a good deal but not if you have no need for it.