Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy AP1 car or wait and get AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it, thanks! Specific to 3rd party dealership since I’m looking buying one right now. It voids the existing manufacturers warranty coverage? Is that is confirmed?? Crazy if that is the case, complete BS. Not to mention inability to purchase additional coverage. Wtf
I’ve had this confirmed by 3+ Tesla reps. It kind of a cat & mouse game in my opinion. A lot of the dealers blocked them/ didn’t want them selling ‘direct from manufacturer’ and I feel like now that’s their revenge to keep dealerships from making money on the very cars they tried to block. Most individuals won’t buy a Tesla from a traditional dealer if they know 1) the existing bumper 2 bumper warranty automatically is voided 2) they cannot purchase an extended warranty from Tesla.

Got it, thanks! Specific to 3rd party dealership since I’m looking buying one right now. It voids the existing manufacturers warranty coverage? Is that is confirmed?? Crazy if that is the case, complete BS. Not to mention inability to purchase additional coverage. Wtf

This is not accurate. The only way the basic warranty is ever revoked is if the car has a salvage title. Being sold through a dealer in NO was revokes the original warranty. It does mean that you can't buy an extended warranty. That's all.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
This is not accurate. The only way the basic warranty is ever revoked is if the car has a salvage title. Being sold through a dealer in NO was revokes the original warranty. It does mean that you can't buy an extended warranty. That's all.
What I've come to learn about Tesla is if 3 people tell you one thing, call the 4th and you'll get a different answer. So you may very well be correct - But again we all know how cagey the reps become when you ask preemptive questions. They answer as if you told them "this conversation is being recorded."

What I've come to learn about Tesla is if 3 people tell you one thing, call the 4th and you'll get a different answer. So you may very well be correct - But again we all know how cagey the reps become when you ask preemptive questions. They answer as if you told them "this conversation is being recorded."

Don't rely on what anyone "tells you" about the warranty. You can get the facts right on Tesla's website.

Tesla Warranty Information

Note that is states that you can't buy an extended warranty if the car was purchased from a 3rd party dealer, but it never mentions that the original warranty is voided if you buy it from a 3rd party dealer. It also states that the original warranty goes with the car. These are the 2 pertinent pieces of information:

Does the New Vehicle Limited Warranty transfer to the new owner if I sell my Model S or X?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will follow your vehicle and be transferred to the new owner when a vehicle ownership transfer is performed through Tesla.
[no exceptions to this]

Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.
[note the 3rd party exception]

Don't rely on what anyone "tells you" about the warranty. You can get the facts right on Tesla's website.

Tesla Warranty Information

Note that is states that you can't buy an extended warranty if the car was purchased from a 3rd party dealer, but it never mentions that the original warranty is voided if you buy it from a 3rd party dealer. It also states that the original warranty goes with the car. These are the 2 pertinent pieces of information:

Does the New Vehicle Limited Warranty transfer to the new owner if I sell my Model S or X?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will follow your vehicle and be transferred to the new owner when a vehicle ownership transfer is performed through Tesla.
[no exceptions to this]

Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.
[note the 3rd party exception]
I've read this enough to be able to recite it at this point, but I appreciate you for posting the very excerpts, which led to me calling Tesla multiple times. I've bolded and underlined the very reason why each of those 3 individuals specifically said the limited warranty is automatically voided when purchased through a 3rd party dealer.

They stated because the vehicle ownership is technically being transferred through a 3rd party and not Tesla, the limited warranty goes away immediately. I've talked to a couple of people on here who've been burned by Tesla's rhetoric, so sometimes it may save you to make a phone call for clarification.