Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy AutoPilot now...or Wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if today's announcement that all loaner cars will have AP will impact this in some way. This seems to be further confirmation that Tesla believes all of their cars should be experienced only with AP (in some way a tacit acknowledgement that all cars that are capable of running AP should have it installed). At the same time, this provides another opportunity for non-AP folks to trial the software/convince them to buy. The question remains, will any of this result in a discount?

Odd, because Tesla seems to be cutting loaners at the same time.

I have FSD. But I mainly only use the lane keeping features.

The lane keeping features are definitely worth having. I also use the lane change option where you just push the blinker and it changes lanes. If that comes with base AP now, then really that’s all I’d want. The advanced summon is cool but still not worth the stress of using it. And the NoAP is fine but not really necessary. I prefer to be in control of when the car changes lanes.

I may feel different once my car is reading stop signs, but I kind of doubt it. I prefer to only use AP on highways.

I’m hoping someone can answer this question, what’s the difference between Auto Pilot and Enhanced Auto Pilot?

Fred

AP is lane keeping and TACC. So it will stay in its lane, and slow down/speed up based on traffic in front of you. Enhanced Autopilot was the previous more advanced autopilot offering which included automatic lane changing (so turn your blinker on, car will switch lanes when appropriate), Smart summon (the newest party trick, car comes to you in a parking lot), and Navigate on Autopilot (you put in destination, and car in theory takes you from on-ramp to off ramp without any input on your behalf, other than giggling the steering wheel). NOA will overtake slower cars, and switch lanes to make your exit. When Tesla made AP standard, it separated some features out of EAP and re-branded FSD: So now AP is simply lane keeping and traffic aware cruise control (which I have, and find the most reliable things to use). I'm not super clear on what FSD adds on top of EAP... currently I do not believe there is any difference in actual working features between EAP and FSD, but presumably in the future when you the car will drive "independently" that would differentiate EAP from FSD.

You cannot purchase EAP anymore, so if you have a car that never had any version of Autopilot, your options are to buy the "basic" AP and then subsequently FSD (which is the only way to get NOA and smart summon).

Opinion: AP is totally worth the price of entry, and I bought it when the switch from EAP to AP happened. I'm not convinced I'd use any of the FSD features, and definitely would not find them worth the 7-9k extra or whatever Tesla is asking for in Canada. Maybe 2-3k and I'd jump for the future improvements/functionality, but really until I can turn my Tesla into a money making taxi, I'm not even considering paying anything more than 2-3k for FSD.

Don't take people's responses that it's not worth or worth the $3k. It depends on you and how much you'll use it. I use it maybe once or twice a month. So $3k would never make sense for me. I upgraded to a newer Model 3 that came with it and I still rarely use it.

Now if you also just plan to use it on one or two road trips a year, I doubt $3k makes sense. On the other hand, if you drive in heavy traffic everyday and enjoy the auto pilot use in those situations, $3k may be worth it.

Awesome info thanks! I’m going to hold off for a while to see if the price drops or we get another free trial, I sent Tesla an email and they said they won’t have any free trials anymore, I’m sure the new cars do have them. My cherry spot would be $2000 and under. My screen only shows Order FSD and not AP.

Fred

A few months ago, I had an EAP/FSD Trial when I purchased my car. I had reduced prices for FSD and Auto Pilot during the trial. My plan was to use the trial, and then on one of the last days I would purchase it.

Low and behold, Tesla cancelled my AutoPilot Trial with 24 days remaining and never honored the discounted Autopilot price. I was not and still not happy about this.

So now I am thinking about buying AutoPilot for 3k. Is now a good time? Or wait till FSD is released and hope they discount AutoPilot to less then 3k? Any advice or thoughts is appreciated. As much as I want FSD, it's too expensive right now.

what was the discounted Autopilot price?

According to a sales advisor there might not be trials anymore since only a small segment of the population doesn't have AP (hopefully we can be vocal about trials !)

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
AP is very reliable.
What is not reliable however is driver expectations about what AP is able to do then complaining when it doesn't meet their own interpretation about what they think it should be able to do.
The main times AP has failed me is when I try to get it to drive through narrow temporary road markings or traffic cones.
For the regular stop and go commute or long distance highway driving though, I have had 25K miles of relaxation thanks to autopilot.

Back then after the trial, the discounted price was 2000.00

Here was my personal AP price history. I think this would be the same experience for most people who bought around March 2019:

1. $3,000 if purchased pre-delivery.
2. $4,000 once delivered.
3. $3,500 during AP/FSD trial.
4. (For 24 hours after AP was made standard) $2,500 during AP/FSD trial.
5. $3,000 ever since.

Reactions: HelixSpiral
My car was purchased in May 2019 and has basic autopilot standard. I use it all the time in my commute, which has about 20 miles each way of highway driving that can often be stop and go. If it weren't standard I'd say it's worth $3000.

I have been unwilling to pull the trigger on the current $6000 FSD offering. I wish they would bring enhanced auto pilot back. I'd pay $3k for NoA and auto lane switching. It's annoying to be constantly disengaging auto steer to change lanes, but not 6 thousand dollars annoying.

Back then after the trial, the discounted price was 2000.00

that will be my new threshold.

Here was my personal AP price history. I think this would be the same experience for most people who bought around March 2019:

1. $3,000 if purchased pre-delivery.
2. $4,000 once delivered.
3. $3,500 during AP/FSD trial.
4. (For 24 hours after AP was made standard) $2,500 during AP/FSD trial.
5. $3,000 ever since.

hmm Interesting you didn't have the $2k like OP. Pricing different based on trim? Hope not.

BTW Were there any noticeable improvements after V10. When I test drove AP (in early 2019) I remember getting startled by a sudden swerve when there wasn't anything there.

• Disagree
I think AP is well worth the $3K
I also drive many miles and most of that is highway. Your situation may vary.
I do not foresee AP being discounted though or ever going lower in price. The tech you get for the price is justified.

I don't think anyone can justify FSD at the current price for the current state of FSD.
I hope someday it will be worth it, but how much are they realistically going to charge then when it is actually worth $6K?
Not sure the ceiling is much higher than $6K on it (I do not believe the Robo Taxi theory at not in the 6 year lifetime of my car).
And could definitely see the price going down if they run into any issues with implementation, legislation, etc...

I think AP is well worth the $3K
I also drive many miles and most of that is highway. Your situation may vary.
I do not foresee AP being discounted though or ever going lower in price. The tech you get for the price is justified.

I don't think anyone can justify FSD at the current price for the current state of FSD.
I hope someday it will be worth it, but how much are they realistically going to charge then when it is actually worth $6K?
Not sure the ceiling is much higher than $6K on it (I do not believe the Robo Taxi theory at not in the 6 year lifetime of my car).
And could definitely see the price going down if they run into any issues with implementation, legislation, etc...

But AP was $2k this year at one point, according to OP. With Tesla's pricing yo-yo it's hard to predict and could be a great all profit demand lever for year end.

Maybe a return to EAP at a mid tier point for us hold outs

• Disagree
Hello.

First forum post. I am in UK and waiting for my CPO Model S.
I have been deliberating over adding FSD and spoken to several 'knowledgable' sources. These comments may relate only or mainly to UK.

1) Since my car has AEP, it has all the same features that a new / curent model would offer (model 3, S, X) with what is now called FSD. (That is freeway assistance, lane changing / overtaking / off ramps, summons, parking etc.) So today, there is no point at all in me paying 5000 pounds for the offered FSD upgrade as I would get zero benefit. On new cars the old EAP features are all that new FSD offers.
2) In the UK (and probably Europe) even if an improved version of EAP were to ever exist (that gave more self driving capability), full self driving is unlikely to to be enabled for regulatory reasons for some time - may be years.
3) My car has ap2.0 (late 2017 car). I was told by Tesla that mine and all other hw2 Model S cars do not have the correct sensors for HW3 / FSD. [This did not make sense based on what else I have read, but on further discussion revealed that there is no single thing that is 'FSD'. Full self driving as may one day become available, will likely need the latest sensors, software, may be additional hardware and the hw3 processor. ]
4) Having been told that my model S ap2 will NEVER be capable of running whatever FSD eventually looks like (due to wrong sensors etc) there is little point adding the 5000 pound FSD option to my order.
5) I asked what I would actually get / what I was buying if I took the option to pay the extra 5000 for FSD (whatever that actually means) and was told "Your vehicle purchase invoice will show that you paid for FSD". I asked if that means that one day I might end up with the same thing as someone who today buys a new car with HW3 and FSD option. The answer was 'no'.
6) Doesn't the FSD upgrade for 5000 get me the hw3 upgrade when it's eventually available? "No."
7) As the 2017 Model S with EAP stands today with effectively ALL the same features as a new FSD vehicle, could it ever have additional features that would be in line with some future FSD version on a new hw3 equipped car? "No."
8) The only cars that will possibly get upgrades to hw3 capable of running some future version of FSD will be hw2.5 models. I could not find out if hw2.5 cars already have sensors that are compatible with current new hw3 vehicles.
9) I thought I had understood from various forum posts and Elon statements that early v1 cars would never run FSD, but that v2 cars would eventually be upgraded to hw3 (plug-compatible, easy hardware swap) as and when the new processor units came available. The purpose of the upgrade to hw3 would be to allow running FSD. I was just told by Tesla agent that only hw2.5 cars will be upgraded to hw3 and that there are very few hw2.5 cars around anyway.

So after all that, all I could be sure of is that if I take up the offer of adding the offered FSD to my Model S CPO purchase, I will have an invoice that shows I had paid for FSD. No indication of what FSD on my car would possibly give me. Certainly no indication that I woud get hw3 upgrade, and that even if I did, my car would not have the correct sensors to give the needed performance for what FSD might need!!!

So, I'm hopelessly confused, and I really think it looks like Tesla would gladly take my money to sell me something that I can't possibly understand what it is - because it doesn't and probably will never exist.