Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Chademo or wait for CCS Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using SETEC CCS1 to Tesla adapter and version 1.50 firmware (for the adapter) our 2012 Signature Edition P85 Tesla Model S with its upgraded 90kWh battery (2021 edition) was able to charge at 66kW at the 150kW Electrify America charging station
There are multiple reports that as of a few days ago the SETEC CCS adaptor no longer works for the Model 3 with the latest Tesla software. See Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

I have not yet seen reports for the S and X. I would be interested to hear from you as to whether or not your S currently works with the SETEC and what your S software version number is. Thanks.

Using SETEC CCS1 to Tesla adapter and version 1.50 firmware (for the adapter) our 2012 Signature Edition P85 Tesla Model S with its upgraded 90kWh battery (2021 edition) was able to charge at 66kW at the 150kW Electrify America charging station outside of Target in Superior, Colorado (I may have misspoke and said Broomfield in the video). The charging station could deliver more power than the adapter will deliver. I think part of the rate limiting factor is that to communicate with the car it emulates CHAdeMO charging protocols, so the car limits the rate to those protocols. it's a convoluted way to do things, but it works sufficiently that we're glad we have this for those times we need to add charge while traveling and a Supercharger isn't nearby, but a CCS1 charger is. Unfortunately, I ended the recording just before it got upto 66kW. I took a still picture of it but have not edited it into the video.

The charging behavior with the SETEC adapter is counterintuitive. The charging rate actually increases as it charges, reaching its maximum in 10 - 15 minutes. It only took a couple of minutes to be above 60kW, so it's not a big difference.

Just for comparison if I went to a Tesla Supercharger under the same conditions, pur Tesla would charge at 100-120kW. I don't think these adapters will get much use when a Supercharger is nearby. The Electrify America chargers cost more than what Trsla charges at its Supercharger at most locations. For us, we have "free Supercharging for the life of the car" so we have even less reason to charge elsewhere if not necessary.

I was very skeptical of this product when I first learned of it. At this point, I think it is worth the $460 we paid when we bought it directly from the manufacturer. The price has gone up since then. Like any accessory, each person has to decide what makes sense for them. Given our travel preferences, it makes sense for us, and it works. The biggest problem is that at this time, it does not work with all CCS1 (CCS/SAE Combo) chargers, that likely will improve with time. The manufacturer has released firmware updates that has improved functionality and compatibility. I expect that to continue. At the time I write this EVgo has barred the use of "non-OEM EV manufacturer adapters", so this likely won't work with them until such time EVgo can validate the safety of using it for their own equipment and potential liability exposure for damage to the car being charged. Things like this are growing pains for charging infrastructure. EVgo has partnered with Tesla to add Tesla connectors at some of their charging stations. This may become more common in the future among other EV charging companies. Until then, this adapter works with some CCS1 charging stations. When traveling, we will carry it along with our CHAdeMO adapter, expanding where we can go with our Tesla without hesitation.

View attachment 689624View attachment 689625View attachment 689626
Interesting, but I'm also looking at the cost - $5.16 for 12kW delivery. Am I right if you charged close to a full charge from empty you'd be approaching $40-50?

After updating my recently acquired SETEC CCS adaptor to firmware V150 (a hassle to do, since I do not own a Windows computer and have to borrow one) I was able to successfully charge my Model X for the first time at a BC Hydro charging station in North Vancouver,. My X is on V2020.48.37.2

I have not yet had the opportunity to try charging my Model 3 at that station, and I may not even bother because I typically don’t use that car for long distance trips. I bought the SETEC adaptor to potentially use while towing my trailer in areas of Canada that do not yet have Superchargers in place or where they are too far apart for me given the significantly greater energy usage while towing (which with my trailer is 50-80% more depending on conditions).

Regarding the BC Hydro station user interface; I had to call the support phone number to understand how to use the station. The BC Hydro EV app does not walk you through the steps to make the station work, and the instructions printed on the station were not correct, they were missing steps.