Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

buy FSD now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given Tesla's past price adjustments I am a little hesitant to purchase FSD now for 2k because I do not know if they will drop it down to 1k or even free after after I purchase. I have no trouble buying for 2k so I am not complaining I just want to make sure if I buy today and the price drops tomorrow I can get a refund. In the past has Tesla refunded people in situations like this or would I be better off waiting a couple weeks?

Given Tesla's past price adjustments I am a little hesitant to purchase FSD now for 2k because I do not know if they will drop it down to 1k or even free after after I purchase. I have no trouble buying for 2k so I am not complaining I just want to make sure if I buy today and the price drops tomorrow I can get a refund. In the past has Tesla refunded people in situations like this or would I be better off waiting a couple weeks?

Totally safe. You go first!

:)

new releases are coming this year and will be part of FSD. In my case I am buying at $3000 which also includes the hardware. I doubt it will drop to $1K or under because hardware, logistic and labor on the installation
would be close to that.

I foresee this happening:

• Tesla releases new HW3 computer, service centers start installing the HW3 computer in Model 3s for those who bought FSD
• Real world testing of HW3 computer begins.. better hope your warranty is still active
• ~6 months later, Tesla improves the HW3 computer to HW 3.1 with incremental improvement of some kind
• Electrek will report this
• Everyone who paid $2K (or more) and wanted to be first in line to get the FSD HW3 computer will now feel entitled to HW3.1 and the complaining on the forums will be insufferable

Good things come to Tesla owners who wait

As an EAP owner, right now buying FSD for 2K extra gets me nothing, except a promise for HW3 and a promise for unreleased features. I am not purchasing the upgrade today because:

- Since the offer does not have an expiration date, it does not even give me the promise of savings (which as we know may not even hold true given recent happenings).
- It does not get me a place in line for HW3 since we don't even know what the process looks like yet.
- It does not get me an estimated timeframe for a HW3 upgrade.
- It obviously does not get me any new features to my car at this point in time, nor do I know what those features will be, exactly how capable/usable they will be, or realistically when they're coming.

Change any of the above circumstances and I'll bite.

Reactions: dnvr-ev
I foresee this happening:

• Tesla releases new HW3 computer, service centers start installing the HW3 computer in Model 3s for those who bought FSD
• Real world testing of HW3 computer begins.. better hope your warranty is still active
• ~6 months later, Tesla improves the HW3 computer to HW 3.1 with incremental improvement of some kind
• Electrek will report this
• Everyone who paid $2K (or more) and wanted to be first in line to get the FSD HW3 computer will now feel entitled to HW3.1 and the complaining on the forums will be insufferable

Good things come to Tesla owners who wait

Hardware and software will always improve. It's been say that HW3 is 2000% most powerful than HW2.5. I believe at this point they are not hardware constrain. I don't want to die waiting and you are really talking only about $2000....

Hardware and software will always improve. It's been say that HW3 is 2000% most powerful than HW2.5. I believe at this point they are not hardware constrain. I don't want to die waiting and you are really talking only about $2000....

True. I’m not advocating perpetually waiting for hardware improvements. Personally, I’ll wait a few months of others being the test mules, see if it functions usefully, then buy FSD.

iPhone X was so cool I just had to have it. Pre-order hype, plunk down $1,100 sight unseen. Crappy phone.

6 months later iPhone Xs rolled out with improvements and a lower price. And now the Xr is even better. Lesson learned. Don't be a fool for new technology. Touch and hold, and test it first before you buy it.