Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BUY FSD TODAY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooooo….. will we have FSD features before 10 Years from now? Absolutely.

That's what I said. That's all I said.

Maybe "Drive on Nav" will be FSD.
Drive on NAV is already listed as an EAP feature.
There may be FSD features. I just haven't heard of any that I find plausible. Maybe there will be an enhanced EAP available with the new hardware that does Level 3 self driving under limited conditions.

I paid for it. I feel the hardware upgrade alone will justify my purchase. We are a ways from full self driving in the summon your car across the country sense (how would it plug in at the charger?). But we are not far from our cars doing 95% of our driving for us. I think the next five years will give us 2-3 big steps that will be game changing. Pretty much any step toward self navigation beyond current EAP would make the 3k worth it IMO.

Reactions: MXWing
This is right on the button! If Tesla solved full self-driving and started to sell cars that required no driver input, the stock would jump tenfold. $3,000 would become $30,000 overnight.

I might pay $5,000 for level 3, depending on how much of the time it's active, but I think that even level 3 within three years is optimistic.

I'll repeat what I've said before: The Model 3 is the best car on the road. Buy it for what it is, not for what the world's biggest optimist thinks it's going to be next year. Or in five years. Because in five years the Tesla Model ? is going to be even better and you might as well trade up to get features and hardware we haven't thought of yet.

And after the first day when there is an accident resulting in a fatality, kerplunk!

Tesla is going to roll out FSD features. Just like they are doing EAP features.

Look in your car....EAP is still beta. Its not out yet.

Sooooo….. will we have FSD features before 10 Years from now? Absolutely.

You are playing with words, and it's disingenuous.

"FSD" is being used in two different ways to mean two entirely different and only marginally related things: On the one hand, "FSD" is used as an abbreviation for Full Self-Driving, which means that a car needs no input from a driver. On the other hand, "FSD" is Tesla's misleading name for a package of driver-assist options, as yet undefined and as yet not installed in any consumer cars, but which presumably will be better and more advanced than the existing EAP package, which, though still officially in beta, exists in many of our cars now, and which we can and do use every day.

Tesla claimed that the "FSD" package of options would grow and mature until eventually cars with this package would become full self-driving cars. That unsubstantiated claim, referring to software that does not yet exist, is the only connection between the two uses of "FSD" noted above.

At present, no FSD-package car has any feature not included in EAP cars.

And Tesla has acknowledged the disconnect between "FSD" and FSD by discontinuing the sale of the "FSD" options package until such time as they can actually deliver something more than what's planned for EAP.

Tesla will continue to improve EAP until they decide that project is complete, and full-self-driving cars will some day be on the road. But it is intentionally misleading to conflate the concept of a full-self-driving car with the package of unspecified driver-assist features that Tesla hoped until recently that it could load into existing cars with their existing hardware.

And after the first day when there is an accident resulting in a fatality, kerplunk!

There have already been accidents resulting in fatalities in cars running autopilot. And true full-self-driving cars, when they become available, will have fatal accidents. No system is perfect. People have died in accidents while wearing seat belts. But people with more than one brain cell recognize that you're still less likely to die if you're wearing a seat belt. People have died in accidents in cars with air bags. But people with more than one brain cell recognize that you're still less likely to die in a car accident if your car has air bags. And people will die in self-driving cars. But people with more than one brain cell will recognize that you are a lot more likely to die in a car driven by a human than in one driven by a full-self-driving system.

my have a few problems with getting stock to fund FSD
1- there is no guarantee that it will fully fund FSD
2- I may want to keep the stock :)
3- buying FSD now gets the next cpu upgrade, and who doesn't want a upgrade ?

IMO, Tesla removed the option to get your $3k now, because they are VERY close to getting it out, as the new chip and other news incl. the drive by nav that almost ready, suggest!

If you already have your car, it's already more than $3k. But that's entirely beside the point.

Even if Tesla were nearing the HW3.0 release, which they likely are, they still need working FSD for the vehicles. Thus far we have seen little evidence that FSD is being tested widely except for a leaked note asking employees to test systems. But, and here's the huge catch, even if FSD were delivered tomorrow, there's no legal framework to make sure you'd be allowed to use it on public roads!

Optimistically, I see FSD in widespread rollout and relatively usable in probably 18 months. I don't see legislation passing in most places in anything less than 18 months after that. We're easily years away from allowing fully autonomous vehicle operation. And once that starts to happen, there are tons of other corner cases that need to be worked out like liability, responsibility for traffic violations, etc. The first time a drunk person gets into a fully autonomous vehicle and fails a breathalyzer, there's going to be real trouble.

So for us ordered a car but didn’t purchase FSD, rather had the buy later at $5k option, do you Tesla will honor the 5K for the complete package in the future when FSD becomes a reality?

Or they’ll say, yeah 5K for the software, plus extra now for the new CPU hardware, etc?

I know, speculation but wondering if anything concrete has been written about it.

I guess I am biased in my answer cause I fall into this category. For what it’s worth this is how I see it : when I ordered the car the site gave me 2 options. By fsd now at $4k now or $5k later. I was not given any other choice. If I didn’t buy now I could only buy later at the listed price. Not at the PREVAILING price or just buy later. I was locked into a fixed price option for later. That’s a huge distinction that Tesla did not make. So I view my scenario that my cost for fsd is capped at $5K.

Reactions: israndy
I don't see legislation passing in most places in anything less than 18 months after that. We're easily years away from allowing fully autonomous vehicle operation.

These are very good points, but i'd bet money that Tesla continues slowly pushing the boundary between drivers "assistance" features and full autonomous driving. They have been quite successful with this so far and by slowly pushing the limit they can gather statistics that support their case by saying "oh look, autopilot is statistically safer!".

Drive on NAV is already listed as an EAP feature.
There may be FSD features. I just haven't heard of any that I find plausible. Maybe there will be an enhanced EAP available with the new hardware that does Level 3 self driving under limited conditions.

Listed? or Rolled out as?

Lists can change.... Dates on lists can change.....Features can change.....etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: rjdoc74
If you already have your car, it's already more than $3k. But that's entirely beside the point.

Even if Tesla were nearing the HW3.0 release, which they likely are, they still need working FSD for the vehicles. Thus far we have seen little evidence that FSD is being tested widely except for a leaked note asking employees to test systems. But, and here's the huge catch, even if FSD were delivered tomorrow, there's no legal framework to make sure you'd be allowed to use it on public roads!

Optimistically, I see FSD in widespread rollout and relatively usable in probably 18 months. I don't see legislation passing in most places in anything less than 18 months after that. We're easily years away from allowing fully autonomous vehicle operation. And once that starts to happen, there are tons of other corner cases that need to be worked out like liability, responsibility for traffic violations, etc. The first time a drunk person gets into a fully autonomous vehicle and fails a breathalyzer, there's going to be real trouble.
FSD vehicles are already legal in CA. I think they're legal in other states too.
There are 60 companies with permits to test FSD: Permit Holders
It doesn't look like anyone has applied for public deployment yet: Deployment of Autonomous Vehicles for Public Operation
Where is all this FUD about FSD vehicle regulations coming from?

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
You are playing with words, and it's disingenuous.

Tesla will continue to improve EAP until they decide that project is complete, and full-self-driving cars will some day be on the road. .

I'm not playing with words at all.

EAP is still beta - FACT

Have you spoken to Tesla to know when they will end EAP's development?

Tesla has said many things concerning the Model 3 but they aint happened yet. Where is my badging? Where is my carbon spoiler? Where is my "waiting in line" gift?

Things change at Tesla on an hourly basis and ultimately its great. No complaints.

FACT = EAP is still beta - that's the TRUTH....not a play on words. Look in your car.

IMO = FSD should roll out the same way.

Reactions: Twiglett
My belief is that they are trying to prevent having to retrofit any additional cars with the new hardware as FSD rolls out. Additionally, I believe they will increase the FSD cost (maybe significantly) when it is finally available, depending of course on the competition with other carmakers’ offerings at the time.

The value to a buyer of a FSD option that truly works should be much higher than $3k. Think of the real $$ savings for people by:

- dropping you off and picking you up at the airport, work, or anywhere else saving you parking fees and hassle
- shuttling kids to school/sports or elderly/disabled parents to doc appts without needing to re-arrange work.
- driving overnight on road trips while you sleep - maximizing your time at destination
- earning money by having car do driverless ridesharing while you are at work or overnight.
-potential to have car drive itself to and from service appts

And many, many more....

Once FSD is available and is proven to work and can be trusted, I think people will be willing to pay a LOT for it!

Listed? or Rolled out as?

Lists can change.... Dates on lists can change.....Features can change.....etc.
Looks at the website.
Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

Looks at the website.

How does that disagree with me? EAP is still BETA

Look in your car.

Have you noticed that the website changed yesterday concerning FSD? Tesla's website can/has change(d) daily .....what hasn't changed is what is in your car on the screen.

Tesla's website also lists the P3D+ as 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. My P3D+ is blowing 3.5 away. Should I call them and have them adjust my 0-60 times because my car disagrees with their website?

Seems to me like they got a grown-up in a decision-making position that decided it was time to be honest when it comes to FSD, It's vaporware and will be for years. Meanwhile, they make great cars, so why not focus on what they CAN deliver which is an awesome EV driving experience with very helpful driving assistance features.

I don't think we will be seeing any regulatory approval for full autonomous driving anytime soon. It's not up to Tesla, it's up to the government. Likely it will be ready when most current owners are ready to upgrade to their next generation car making FSD a wasted purchase. I'm not buying FSD for my X or 3, the new toy effect wears off after first few years and then I'm generally itching for the next greatest thing.

I hear lots of first time owners justifing buying Tesla's which are 3-5x more expensive then their previous cars saying it will be their "final car" or they plan to use it for 20-30 years but I don't think many will actually follow through with that. Look at a 2012 model S which is still a great car, but it's simply outclassed by all the current tech available on the newest Tesla's. No way I would want to be stuck in a current Tesla beyond 12 years, tech evolves so fast, so I'll get FSD when it is truly a reality.

Seems to me like they got a grown-up in a decision-making position that decided it was time to be honest when it comes to FSD, It's vaporware and will be for years. Meanwhile, they make great cars, so why not focus on what they CAN deliver which is an awesome EV driving experience with very helpful driving assistance features.

So you don't believe that ANY feature of FSD can be rolled out "for years"?

Why do you think that?