Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy it now, the price may go back up after the end Q1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, Pricing went down because of "Supply and Demand".... Today, Tesla is making more cars than they can sell at the old pricing. Tesla will continue to adjust pricing down, and back up, based on factory capacity and sales rates.

Second, This price reduction is timed to get the most cars delivered just before the end of Q1. That gives better results to put into the Q1 report.

So if the sales take off because of the lower price as it should, Then Tesla could get back into a backlog situation and then bring the price back up again. Then this will probably happen over again at the end of each quarter.

They could but I don't think they will need to. I think the percentage sold of the SR+ and more profitable models will be high enough that they won't need to raise the SR for a long time. Think about it - if they can keep the SR where it is and remain profitable, just think of the torque they'll be putting on all of the other automakers! This is a brazen market share move as much as anything.

I doubt the price will go up anytime soon. They have been changing the prices in US quite a lot recently but on global scale there has been no changes before today. This change was global and it is significant. It would be a brand disaster if they would keep on changing prices all the time since it would make Tesla as a brand less reliable to invest into. Yes, investing and cars... But still, when you buy a car you are putting significant capital into that commodity. Most expect to get something back later when they sell the car. If you look at what happened to Model S and X today I'm betting people who got their cars for example in January are right now extremely pissed: in Finland (where I live) your car might have lost 50 000 euros of value over a single night! No, Tesla does not want this kind of chaos to happen anytime soon again.

I personally am happy about the price reduction since I've already made purchasing decision about Model 3 but haven't ordered yet: I'm saving a bit more before I do. So I'm one of the lucky ones in all this.

Chances are that after Q1, the SR will go away and the SR+ will be the new bottom end model. Tesla wants that extra $2000 for doing what is essentially just a software unlock of 20 miles of battery power.

1. Change a 0 to a 1 in the computer.
2. ???
3. MOAR PROFITS!!!