Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy M3 or wait for MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a 2011 Honda Odyssey and my husband has a Mercedes SL roadster. Originally I wanted a MX to replace my minivan but I don’t think we’re really comfortable with the 90K+ price tag. One of the scenarios we were thinking of is to buy the M3 LR and keep the minivan for road trips or trips to the beach, and keep sand out of the Tesla. We’re also not going to sell the Mercedes for sentimental reasons, so we’re definitely keeping that no matter which scenario. Second scenario is wait for the MY to come out and just sell the minivan when we get the MY, and just have MY and the Mercedes. However, I think the third row in the MY wouldn’t be of much use due to it’s small size. Third scenario is buy the M3 now and wait a few years and buy the MY then and have both M3 and MY. However my husband thinks that if we’re going to have two car payments for M3 and MY, then it might be the same as having one MX. I have 3 kids (two teens and preteen) and for road trips it is nice to have that 3rd row in my minivan but we don’t take that many road trips in a year. Occasionally we may also have a friend come along so the 3rd row has come in handy but not a dealbreaker. I’m really torn and keep going back and forth with each scenario. I like all three of them for various reasons. They each have a lot of pros. Also when V10 comes out with Netflix etc., wouldn’t the horizontal screen of the M3 and MY be better than the vertical screen? If anyone has any input, I’d really appreciate it.

Getting the Tesla will completely ruin you and you'll begin to loathe the minivan, avoiding driving it whenever possible. Seems like the best fit for you will be the Model Y.

If you think there's a possibility that both you and your husband will want Teslas, consider a 3 now (maybe an SR+) and a Y (long range AWD) when they become available.

Husband has a point about two car payments, plus 3 cars to insure, register, etc. Just depends on how much you really need the space of a larger X. One X will be a lower payment than 2 other cars, and you could also buy it now.

I think the third row of the Y will be only good for kids < 10 years old to be honest. I think it will have decent cargo capacity.

My suggestion would be to go check out the X and see how you'd feel about it as your primary car. And then the 3 and see how a longer, taller 3 would compare. They are very different vehicles.

I currently have a 2011 Honda Odyssey and my husband has a Mercedes SL roadster. Originally I wanted a MX to replace my minivan but I don’t think we’re really comfortable with the 90K+ price tag. One of the scenarios we were thinking of is to buy the M3 LR and keep the minivan for road trips or trips to the beach, and keep sand out of the Tesla. We’re also not going to sell the Mercedes for sentimental reasons, so we’re definitely keeping that no matter which scenario. Second scenario is wait for the MY to come out and just sell the minivan when we get the MY, and just have MY and the Mercedes. However, I think the third row in the MY wouldn’t be of much use due to it’s small size. Third scenario is buy the M3 now and wait a few years and buy the MY then and have both M3 and MY. However my husband thinks that if we’re going to have two car payments for M3 and MY, then it might be the same as having one MX. I have 3 kids (two teens and preteen) and for road trips it is nice to have that 3rd row in my minivan but we don’t take that many road trips in a year. Occasionally we may also have a friend come along so the 3rd row has come in handy but not a dealbreaker. I’m really torn and keep going back and forth with each scenario. I like all three of them for various reasons. They each have a lot of pros. Also when V10 comes out with Netflix etc., wouldn’t the horizontal screen of the M3 and MY be better than the vertical screen? If anyone has any input, I’d really appreciate it.

Go let the husband drive the SR+ Model 3, not the P, but the base vehicle. And drive to the location in the SL.
That should convince him to get rid of the POS Mercedes.

Of course that doesn't fulfill your personal needs, but then he'll be on your side, whatever decision you make.

The Model Y is too far away to "wait on" when there is a great alternative available.

BTW, if you keep the minivan, then what's the need for the LR? Start as cheap as you can and then make the informed decisions. But no matter what, get in the ball game!

We're in a similar dilemma. Currently have a BMW sedan and Hyundai Coupe. Have our 1st baby on the way so definitely need to change out the coupe. We've been playing around with the idea of a MX and keeping BMW for 3-4 more years (cars paid off) vs getting a M3P now and working with 2 sedans of similar size vs ICE SUV now and MY in a year or 2. 1st and 3rd scenario will end up costing similar I think and the 2nd will be cheapest but also less functional. I'm hanging onto the hope of another price adjustment or refresh for the X in the next 3 months. May make my decision easier. good luck!

From your near last sentence, I guess you didn't hear. Elon says no refresh for S/X because efforts are going to Y, Truck and Semi.

Yea likely not, but he's been known to stretch the truth and that also doesn't mean there will be no price adjustment or option adjustment to try to spur sales. He said FUSC wasn't viable and got rid of it and then brought it back. So no one really knows what's going to happen with Tesla pricing. Just a big gamble.

We're in a similar dilemma. Currently have a BMW sedan and Hyundai Coupe. Have our 1st baby on the way so definitely need to change out the coupe. We've been playing around with the idea of a MX and keeping BMW for 3-4 more years (cars paid off) vs getting a M3P now and working with 2 sedans of similar size vs ICE SUV now and MY in a year or 2. 1st and 3rd scenario will end up costing similar I think and the 2nd will be cheapest but also less functional. I'm hanging onto the hope of another price adjustment or refresh for the X in the next 3 months. May make my decision easier. good luck!
From what I see X is an amazing family car. Wish I could rent one for a week or two a year when children visit and the 3 is not quite big enough.

Reactions: Akikiki
Go let the husband drive the SR+ Model 3, not the P, but the base vehicle. And drive to the location in the SL.

Of course that doesn't fulfill your personal needs, but then he'll be on your side, whatever decision you make.

The Model Y is too far away to "wait on" when there is a great alternative available.

BTW, if you keep the minivan, then what's the need for the LR? Start as cheap as you can and then make the informed decisions. But no matter what, get in the ball game!
Maxim:always buy longest range available. Getting rid of Mercedes is a good idea.

Recently gave up waiting for Model Y and purchased a Chrysler Pacifica. Got a screaming deal, 1/3 the price of a Model X. Enjoy lying down on the third row, while someone else drives. Can't do that in smaller X. Hoping to buy electric minivan when one is available. Chrysler Portal? VW MicroBus?

You can if you fold one side of the second row on a seven seat X.

The only electrified minivan I know of is the Pacifica Hybrid, and the only concept I've seen for a fully electric van is one of the VW ID series as a MicroBus revivall

We'll get there eventually.

Recently gave up waiting for Model Y and purchased a Chrysler Pacifica. Got a screaming deal, 1/3 the price of a Model X. Enjoy lying down on the third row, while someone else drives. Can't do that in smaller X.
Hoping to buy electric minivan when one is available. Chrysler Portal? VW MicroBus?

How much did you pay?Did you get the ltd PHEV?

I'm debating b/t Y or getting a Pacifica PHEV now. Replacing a 3 row highlander Concerned about Chrysler quality though. I saw a lot of issues on the forums like fires and axles breaking off! but not sure if they're outliers.. How Reliable Is the 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid?

Toyota/ Lexus have some great hybrids but no plug ins :( Also looking at outlander PHEV or other SUV PHEVs recommendations. 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Plug-in Hybrid SUV

Last edited:

I just ordered an M3 LR AWD in white, 19” sport wheels, black and white interior with FSD and I asked my OA to see if there’s a P3D Stealth/sleeper that is available. He’s not sure yet if there is one. Either way, I’m really excited!! Thanks for your advice.

I was on the Model 3 waiting list forever, and finally decided to cancel my reservation after hearing so many horror stories about shoddy quality on the early Model 3s. I really wanted an electric vehicle, though, so when I heard about the Chrysler Pacifica hybrid, I traded my 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan in on a new 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited. That became our family truckster for cross-country trips, and it is fantastic! It has every possible creature comfort, and I can do most of my daily errands on full electric power with the 34-mile range. I just wish it was 100% electric, though.

In recent weeks I was helping my stepson shop for a new car, and we test drove a couple of Nissan Leafs. They weren't as stylish or cool as a Tesla, but after that experience, I decided I was going to buy an electric car one way or another. After checking the price of a fully-loaded Leaf, I discovered that it was actually more expensive than the base Model 3. Why would I want to pay more for a car that I couldn't use on long trips due to inadequate charging infrastructure? To make a long story short, I bought a Model 3, and although it had some paint issues, they were quickly rectified by the service center. After driving it for a week, I really want to get one for my wife, too. However, I'm going to wait for the Model Y, and then we will each have a Tesla.

I would much rather have a Model 3 and a Model Y than a single Model X. I think the X is overpriced for what you get.

Reactions: GenSao
I just ordered an M3 LR AWD in white, 19” sport wheels, black and white interior with FSD and I asked my OA to see if there’s a P3D Stealth/sleeper that is available. He’s not sure yet if there is one. Either way, I’m really excited!! Thanks for your advice.

Congratulations!!!

Now, watch the videos on the Tesla Website. Get your financing ready, you will either have to provide a check or EFT at or slightly before delivery. Call your insurance agent up and notify that you will be getting a new car and what needs to be done, do you need to get a rider to cover it or what.
Determine the garage parking. To begin with, you will want to park with the driver's rear within about 10 feet of a plug. You may need to swap sides or back in to get the car in the right position. Don't fret about another plug at this time. Look at Tesla.com/supercharging for Superchargers and/or destination chargers near you or work. These may be options temporarily. Look at Plugshare.com for J-1772 plugs near work. Just look at your charging options. If it's a newer house, you may even have a charging plug in place, just not connected.

You may get a call tomorrow or a month from now that's the car is ready. So you need to be ready. Don't worry about calling, no one will answer and if they do, they probably won't know.

At delivery, pair phone for key and phone for audio. Learn hot to open and shut the frunk (it's also in video). Learn how to turn car on and off (this is usually the hardest thing for people to learn). Learn how to put car in drive and reverse.
You won't get autopilot right away, nor should you attempt it. Just learn how to drive an EV. While it's the same, it's also very different.

After about 2 week, it's time to take a longer excursion. Do a 200-300 mile day trip. Fall is getting near, head out and enjoy it. Heck, ask the car "Navigate to Los Angeles" and see what it tells you.

Now it's time to think about the charging option that you need at home. Hopefully all the options will make a LOT more sense and you start to understand the real advantages and disadvantages of each. And most importantly, what works best for you.

BIGGEST recommendation. Don't worry about the car, don't worry about the mileage, don't install any third-party monitoring apps. just have fun driving. After a few months, then you can look at your battery usage and start to understand the details a little more.

Again, Congrats!!!!