Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Model 3 Now or Wait? [jan 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect what's going to happen is Tesla's project highland will be phase 1 of getting the Model 3 lower in price, less features, less performance. They will move that car (SR) to sub 35k as the entry-level vehicle and position the Y as the midrange vehicle in their lineup. The M3P might stick around but I think the M3LR might not be long for this world. Project highland will NOT be an upgrade so waiting will just get you a car with less features, cheaper made etc.

I might be 100% wrong with this but reading all the tea leaves this is what I suspect is going to happen.

You might be right. You might be wrong. We’ll probably know more in a couple weeks.

@comanchepilot I definitely agree with you on all points except for leasing. I've leased cars for the last twenty years and almost always ended up on top. Being an educated buyer is the most important factor when it comes to negotiating a lease. Knowing the money factor, residual value, incentives, dealer's appetite for movement on the MSRP and sometimes, the number of days a car has sat in a dealer's inventory can and will net you a good lease deal. These variables will also help to keep you away from bad ones. I've lost less money on leases than I have on car purchases historically but, I've never signed a bad lease deal, even if it meant walking away from the vehicle I wanted. Hell, I know people that actually flip leases for profit (much MUCH harder to do now). However, Tesla's don't (and never have) lease well so I guess all of this is irrelevant.

@Elayea if your goal is to use a short-term lease to tide you over for the next gen of Tesla's Model 3, my advice is to not lease a Tesla and instead look at other cars. You will quickly find yourself upside down in a Tesla lease with no one willing to bail you out. You'll end up paying way more than you arguably should.

@maclean525 I doubt the LR spec is going anywhere. They had such a problem keeping up with the orders for them that we know demand is certainly there. In my opinion, all EV manufacturers are going to continue to make range a main focal point.

I'm probably going to go ahead a buy in the next few weeks a RWD model. To me its going to be an appliance that does my 160km round trip commute cheaply. I don't plan to buy EAP or FSD, and parking space is ample at both home and work. The cameras seem to do a good job of showing me things to avoid. The beeping in my current car is more confusing that anything as I can't seem to tell from which corner its coming. The car will likely have over 150,000km within 5 years so I'm not exactly worried about resale either. When its time to replace our current gas SUV we'll see what the EV market has for us but for now the M3 RWD is the way for us.

Reactions: James Cole
I'm probably going to go ahead a buy in the next few weeks a RWD model. To me its going to be an appliance that does my 160km round trip commute cheaply. I don't plan to buy EAP or FSD, and parking space is ample at both home and work. The cameras seem to do a good job of showing me things to avoid. The beeping in my current car is more confusing that anything as I can't seem to tell from which corner its coming. The car will likely have over 150,000km within 5 years so I'm not exactly worried about resale either. When its time to replace our current gas SUV we'll see what the EV market has for us but for now the M3 RWD is the way for us.
More power to you, that is more of a commute than I could put up with. Sounds like the RWD should be perfect for you. You will likely have pretty good amount of fuel savings depending on what you are coming from. Hope you enjoy it.

Wasn't tesla required in California to put the money paid for FSD in escrow until it delivered a working product?
Oh, Lord, I hope so. I'll be the first in line to get that money back. Do you have a source for that? I can't find anything other than the CA DMV accused Tesla of using FSD as 'deceptive marketing'. I'm sure Tesla responded to the filing and got taken off the hook since no action has been taken against them.

Oh, Lord, I hope so. I'll be the first in line to get that money back. Do you have a source for that? I can't find anything other than the CA DMV accused Tesla of using FSD as 'deceptive marketing'. I'm sure Tesla responded to the filing and got taken off the hook since no action has been taken against them.

That's what some people on this forum want/hope/wish.

Agreeing to pay to become a beta tester - Check!
Demanding money back for the developmental beta testing product that they were informed and agreed to - Check!

I suspect what's going to happen is Tesla's project highland will be phase 1 of getting the Model 3 lower in price, less features, less performance. They will move that car (SR) to sub 35k as the entry-level vehicle and position the Y as the midrange vehicle in their lineup. The M3P might stick around but I think the M3LR might not be long for this world. Project highland will NOT be an upgrade so waiting will just get you a car with less features, cheaper made etc.

I might be 100% wrong with this but reading all the tea leaves this is what I suspect is going to happen.
Hmm that sounds more like it. I am guessing this is the way where their line up is heading towards
The question remains for me if i should buy now or wait?

The fed and CA credit/rebate swayed us to but before the fed rebate changes. Much more fun than the leaf or bolts we were considering. Coupled with changing to ev electric rates, our projected energy cost per mile for home charging will be negative! We will change our hot tub and swim spa to only heat off peak and the savings will more than cover full recharge daily (I project using no more than 20% range daily).

The only problem with that is i am not sure how would they price it. Or even if it is going to be better or not. I think i have to gamble here. Weighing my pros and cons.
Any idea on when will the new redesign will be available

I would expect a new/refreshed model to be more expensive. We won't know many details until March 1st. They'll probably introduce the refresh model in the Long Range trim first.

Reactions: toron2nashvile
Agreeing to pay to become a beta tester - Check!
Demanding money back for the developmental beta testing product that they were informed and agreed to - Check!
First of all, even though I paid for FSD in 2019 it wasn't made available to me until last fall (Lo and behold, it's a major sh!tshow). So I haven't even been able to be a beta tester for the first 2.5 years I owned the car. And Elon has been promising something revolutionary for YEARS now and they're still nowhere even close. I didn't agree to pay for a feature that I may never be able to fully utilize before the car is obsolete. We were sold a bill of goods. Period.

I bet he mixed up the fact that Tesla accounts for FSD as unearned revenue in their SEC filings. That simply means accounting-wise they can't count it as revenue yet until they deliver the feature. However, that does not mean the money is put into an escrow. I have never seen claim that Tesla puts money into escrow for features they have yet to deliver. They don't even put deposits in escrow, so why would they do it for features?

Hi y'all - first time poster here. I've had my eye on buying a Model 3 for at least 5 years now, and finally have the funds to make it happen. With the recent price drop and the federal tax credit becoming available again, I'm thinking that now might finally be the time to buy. However, I have some concerns over the impending Model 3 refresh as well as the lack of USS and proximity functionality on 2023 Model 3's. I'm not sure if the Model 3 refresh is actually going to be a good thing or not, and the removal of the parking sensors just seems bizarre to me.

I'm planning on having this car for a long time - at least 10 years - and it's hard for me to decide if these things are just noise or actual signs that I should wait a little longer. Having the latest and greatest features is not that important to me. I've just been eager to get inside a Model 3 for a while now.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated!
It's like they say about buying TVs or any electronics, there is always going to be bigger and better just around the corner, The time to buy is when the money and circumstances are right.

Don’t ever wait. No time will be better or worse than the present. New hardware will come, new features, new colors, new discounts, new tech. It’s always changing. And the time is NEVER perfect….. if you wait you’ll wait forever and then when you finally buy they’ll be something else you may want around the next bend.
I say just buy and enjoy and live in the momenot. It’s not like an iPhone where you don’t buy it in august because you KNOW the next one comes out in September. This is a moving target. So get it now and enjoy!

Don’t ever wait. No time will be better or worse than the present. New hardware will come, new features, new colors, new discounts, new tech. It’s always changing. And the time is NEVER perfect….. if you wait you’ll wait forever and then when you finally buy they’ll be something else you may want around the next bend.
I say just buy and enjoy and live in the momenot. It’s not like an iPhone where you don’t buy it in august because you KNOW the next one comes out in September. This is a moving target. So get it now and enjoy!
Hard disagree.

I think it really depends on the person...