Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Model 3 Now or Wait? [jan 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is...even if all the technology that you want is available...it doesn’t mean you will get it in your car...Tesla put whatever they want in whichever car they want to. Also, the longer you wait, the more chance that the next best thing is on the horizon.
However..if you want FSD...then I would wait for HW4

Reactions: Niroc
4680 battery architecture is definitely worth waiting for, in my opinion.
Tuesday, I am buying a Tesla with LFP, one of the older battery technologies. For my current scenario in life, it is a good fit for me. There are days I don't drive. And some days I will put over 200 miles on the car. I wanted a more durable battery than the NCA without always worrying about the 20-80% rule.

4680 is not "magic". It just might be a way to make the battery a bit cheaper to make. Frankly, there is a reason why it was delayed for so long. I bet there will be issues with it. My bet for future battery design is the LFP or something very similar. CATL is putting a lot of energy trying to enhance the chemistry. And they are thee experts in battery technology.

If you can get the tax break, Tesla is a great buy especially if you don't care about FSD. If you can't get the $7500, I would consider buying a new used 2021-2022 Tesla. The car market is flooded with them. If your patient enough you might be able to snag a low mileage Model Y for under $39000 or a Model3 for $29000.

Last edited:
Reactions: toron2nashvile
I have an outsider's perspective on this as someone who hadn't seriously considered a Tesla (or any EV) until a few weeks ago.

I was all set to buy a 2023 Honda CR-V hybrid as our do-everything family car (just had a baby and another on the way), but happened to stop by the Tesla site and saw the $7500 tax credit banner.

I did a little research and realized that with the $7500 federal tax credit, plus our Oregon state credit of $2500, a new Model 3 would cost us about $5,000 LESS than a loaded Honda CR-V. That certainly made things interesting!

I started frantically researching the Model 3 with the end of the month looming, and decided that even with the "major updates" planned for later this year, it still made a lot of sense to take advantage of the $7500 credit now, because realistically, we need a family car now, and if I buy a brand new CR-V I'm not going to dump it in a year and take a massive depreciation hit for a new Model 3. It's either now or 5-10 years from now for us and trying the Tesla life.

Also, maybe I'm just trying to justify my decision, but what we know about the Highland updates so far aren't very exciting from an ownership perspective, particularly as someone who has no interest in full self-driving.

I have an outsider's perspective on this as someone who hadn't seriously considered a Tesla (or any EV) until a few weeks ago.

I was all set to buy a 2023 Honda CR-V hybrid as our do-everything family car (just had a baby and another on the way), but happened to stop by the Tesla site and saw the $7500 tax credit banner.

I did a little research and realized that with the $7500 federal tax credit, plus our Oregon state credit of $2500, a new Model 3 would cost us about $5,000 LESS than a loaded Honda CR-V. That certainly made things interesting!

I started frantically researching the Model 3 with the end of the month looming, and decided that even with the "major updates" planned for later this year, it still made a lot of sense to take advantage of the $7500 credit now, because realistically, we need a family car now, and if I buy a brand new CR-V I'm not going to dump it in a year and take a massive depreciation hit for a new Model 3. It's either now or 5-10 years from now for us and trying the Tesla life.

Also, maybe I'm just trying to justify my decision, but what we know about the Highland updates so far aren't very exciting from an ownership perspective, particularly as someone who has no interest in full self-driving.
I don’t think the “highland” update will be all that significant. It’s looking like a simple mid-cycle refresh. Based on Tesla’s comments on their recent earnings call, it will probably be more cost-down focused than anything.

Welcome @alhounos! Indeed this is the best quarter in history to buy a Tesla. The Model Y is an especially good value and pricing will almost certainly never be this low again since it can grow toward the $80K tax rebate limit.

Project Highland will bring desirable features to the Model 3 of course. Rumors include radar, additional cameras for birds-eye parking, updated bumper styling, head-up display, and a fabric alternative to the wood dash, among other things. But as others have noted, the Model 3 is currently right up against/over the $55K limit so it would make sense for this update to include some cost-cutting. And with no indication that desirable cost-cutting techniques like 4680's or gigacastings are on this horizon, we may see undesirable updates like the elimination of stalks. I expect Highland to begin delivering in November as a 2024 model.

Welcome @alhounos! Indeed this is the best quarter in history to buy a Tesla. The Model Y is an especially good value and pricing will almost certainly never be this low again since it can grow toward the $80K tax rebate limit.

Project Highland will bring desirable features to the Model 3 of course. Rumors include radar, additional cameras for birds-eye parking, updated bumper styling, head-up display, and a fabric alternative to the wood dash, among other things. But as others have noted, the Model 3 is currently right up against/over the $55K limit so it would make sense for this update to include some cost-cutting. And with no indication that desirable cost-cutting techniques like 4680's or gigacastings are on this horizon, we may see undesirable updates like the elimination of stalks. I expect Highland to begin delivering in November as a 2024 model.
I was going to ask about gigacastings...thank you. This Highland update is being touted as a cost cutting exercise only...already the extra cameras and birdseye view have been scotched on all cars that get the new HW4...so without a structural battery pack and gigacastings....where is this saving going to come from? They might lose the stalks but the wheels get an extra spoke...is it just pennies off here and there or are there genuine savings to be made? It’s not, so far, making me want to trade in my old M3

I just got a 2023 RWD and I did not want to wait as I think this is good deal as of now with the recent price cuts. I paid 42,999 + 7500 tax credit and, 2,250 state credits. Not sure but in the near future maybe in March we may lose some of the tax credit so I figure it would be wise to hit the iron while it was hot.
Only had the car for a week and build quality on the outside at least looks very good. I was worried about that but looks like I got a good one.
The interior i did find one trim piece in the rear that seems to be a bit off in the back. Also, the black covering behind the driver seat came out, but I was able to push it back into place.... Good luck!

Reactions: Niroc and Bouba
ohh also wanted to mention that the window sticker for the model 3 RWD does show that 40% of the car is from China so I think that would for sure mean it would not get the full tax credit soon.
Yes. I get my delivery tomorrow. Last day of month is cutting it super close and hope everything checks out ok. Because 2 days from now, who knows what the Fed tax credit will be? Even the half amount of $3750 is not a guarantee.

Yes. I get my delivery tomorrow. Last day of month is cutting it super close and hope everything checks out ok. Because 2 days from now, who knows what the Fed tax credit will be? Even the half amount of $3750 is not a guarantee.
I think that is wise. Better safe than sorry. We just don't know if Tesla will drop the price to make up for the difference. Either way you can't go wrong, you are going to love the car, it is really nice. I hope you have a great experience and delivery! Take your time and watch all the pre delivery videos, and check everything out. I thought I did, and right after I left, I found one of the rear interior trims not aligned, but nothing major or anyone else would notice.

I thought the credit is applicable until march 31 as per Tesla sales person
The credit is only applicable until IRS issues guidance on battery minerals and all articles indicate that is expected some time in March, not a specific date like end of March. IRS could technically issue such guidance on March 1st. Your sales person is probably mistaken.

Tesla's own site actually says:
"On January 1, 2023, the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 qualified certain electric vehicles (EVs) for a tax credit of up to $7,500.
Note: This credit amount applies to deliveries now and may change during March 2023, at which point credit amounts may be reduced."
Electric Vehicle & Solar Incentives | Tesla Support

I did the same thing, a week ago. I was lucky enough to get an inventory delivered to my local service center in time. I took delivery yesterday (cutting it close) with ZERO issues. I am a previous (Tesla Used) model S owner, and that experience went smooth, but not as smooth as this. They were on time and car is perfect. Tesla getting their act together now. I got $4000 off the purchase price thanks to NJ incentive, and will get the full $7500 next year when I file taxes. This brings my brand new 2023 Model 3 down to a total price of $33,490. Yeah... I wasnt waiting for HW4 or new batteries when I can get a price like that. I have no intention of ever paying 15k for full self driving.

The credit is only applicable until IRS issues guidance on battery minerals and all articles indicate that is expected some time in March, not a specific date like end of March. IRS could technically issue such guidance on March 1st. Your sales person is probably mistaken.

Tesla's own site actually says:
"On January 1, 2023, the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 qualified certain electric vehicles (EVs) for a tax credit of up to $7,500.
Note: This credit amount applies to deliveries now and may change during March 2023, at which point credit amounts may be reduced."
Electric Vehicle & Solar Incentives | Tesla Support
🙏

Picked up my lovely blue Model 3 yesterday. This thing has absolutely no rivals at $35,000. Amazing car. I can't imagine anything that could come later this year to make me regret jumping on this!

I guess it might still be worth it for those who have a high stress tolerance to try to find a car in inventory and take delivery before the IRS announcement. For all we know it could be March 31st. Just check the news daily and don't make the final payment until you are at the service center taking delivery. Don't blame me if it goes wrong though!

Reactions: pdx_m3s and Ital
Whooo! Picked up my Tesla M3 in the rain. I brought my spouse who is extremely observant. That is not always a good thing. However, when it comes to inspecting cars, it is a great attribute to have.

I really could not find anything wrong with the car. I think the hood might be a fraction of millimeter thinner gap wise on the left versus the right? Spouse really couldn't see it but I can...sort of. It opens and closes fine so I am good with it.

I already lost 3 miles of charge because I have to repeat the light show. Everyone thinks it is so cool.

Last edited: