Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Model 3 Now or Wait? [jan 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi y'all - first time poster here. I've had my eye on buying a Model 3 for at least 5 years now, and finally have the funds to make it happen. With the recent price drop and the federal tax credit becoming available again, I'm thinking that now might finally be the time to buy. However, I have some concerns over the impending Model 3 refresh as well as the lack of USS and proximity functionality on 2023 Model 3's. I'm not sure if the Model 3 refresh is actually going to be a good thing or not, and the removal of the parking sensors just seems bizarre to me.

I'm planning on having this car for a long time - at least 10 years - and it's hard for me to decide if these things are just noise or actual signs that I should wait a little longer. Having the latest and greatest features is not that important to me. I've just been eager to get inside a Model 3 for a while now.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated!

Reactions: APotatoGod
Tesla won't have time to truly refresh the Model 3 with castings and 4680's, etc. until they get CyberTruck production well underway. So likely 2+ years.

But the 3 may see some significant updates in April. Possibly a bumper redesign, some camera changes, and maybe even HD radar to address both the phantom braking and the lack of USS.
Or not, who knows.

I expect pricing to be fairly stable in the near term but the tax credit might be cut in half from April thru...? while Tesla ramps up US battery production. The safest gamble is to buy now at rock bottom price, but as always, an updated version is just around the corner.

Hi y'all - first time poster here. I've had my eye on buying a Model 3 for at least 5 years now, and finally have the funds to make it happen. With the recent price drop and the federal tax credit becoming available again, I'm thinking that now might finally be the time to buy. However, I have some concerns over the impending Model 3 refresh as well as the lack of USS and proximity functionality on 2023 Model 3's. I'm not sure if the Model 3 refresh is actually going to be a good thing or not, and the removal of the parking sensors just seems bizarre to me.

I'm planning on having this car for a long time - at least 10 years - and it's hard for me to decide if these things are just noise or actual signs that I should wait a little longer. Having the latest and greatest features is not that important to me. I've just been eager to get inside a Model 3 for a while now.

I would buy when I need it or when I am ready.

It's hard to time exactly the prices, discounts, tax credits, new hardware...

If you are ready for it get it. You will always be waiting for the “next best thing” otherwise.

Overall, your differences from the first 3 to roll off the lines to todays are minor compared to a traditional manufacturer. In addition you can’t really know when Tesla is going to implement a change, as it just happens during the year.

I just bought my first Tesla on Friday and have also been waiting a long time. It is scheduled to arrive in a week and have much too do. Well, it has me cleaning my garage which I’ve put off for so long.

These price cuts will not last forever. He's just doing them to jump start sales again because that's what Wall St. looks at the most. If you have the money and you're willing to deal with a different paradigm of car ownership, then I'd pull the trigger now.

Wait. Only idiots are making large purchases on vehicles and homes right now.
I don't know that's a universal statements. Depending on the individual's circumstances, it might actually be a good time for them to buy simply because of the price point. Of course if one does not have the means and are in the red on everything else, an expensive new car should not be high on the priority list.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
I've had my eye on buying a Model 3 for at least 5 years now, and finally have the funds to make it happen. With the recent price drop and the federal tax credit becoming available again, I'm thinking that now might finally be the time to buy. However, I have some concerns over the impending Model 3 refresh as well as the lack of USS and proximity functionality on 2023 Model 3's. I'm not sure if the Model 3 refresh is actually going to be a good thing or not, and the removal of the parking sensors just seems bizarre to me.

If you need a car - go out and buy it.
If you are flexible on timing - waiting for the Model 3 refresh to arrive will likely insulate you from an extra depreciation hit when the new look arrives. Like it or not, new "looks" makes old one "dated".

As to feature de-contenting, the recent price drops make that MORE likely.

The just buy the thing.
Over 10-year horizon, the "old" or the "new" Model 3 will get massively dated, regardless.

These price cuts will not last forever.

Right. The prices may go up, or down.
In China, Tesla went through two quick rounds of price reductions.
US may, or may not, repeat that pattern.

HTH,
a

Tesla won't have time to truly refresh the Model 3 with castings and 4680's, etc. until they get CyberTruck production well underway. So likely 2+ years.

But the 3 may see some significant updates in April. Possibly a bumper redesign, some camera changes, and maybe even HD radar to address both the phantom braking and the lack of USS.
Or not, who knows.

I expect pricing to be fairly stable in the near term but the tax credit might be cut in half from April thru...? while Tesla ramps up US battery production. The safest gamble is to buy now at rock bottom price, but as always, an updated version is just around the corner.

If you're in the camp "I'll wait till the update to get the newest and best" well you'll be waiting for a long, long, long time.
As the newest and best is always just around the next corner. The pace of tech changes almost daily.

Just like wanting the newest and best phone...wait till tomorrow and look again it will have changed, then wait till the day after and wow, again changes.