Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy My Brand New 2018 Model X 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. So the original owner will try and recoup whatever acquisition costs they can. You can’t really choose to eliminate the paid tax to make the resale lower imo.

That would apply the same with the rebate. You are making the assumption that the rebate reduced acquisition cost. If you say the tax is irrelevant then you should equally say that the rebate is irrelevant and shouldn’t be included in determining a price.

That's not the way it works.

Exactly. So the original owner will try and recoup whatever acquisition costs they can. You can’t really choose to eliminate the paid tax to make the resale lower imo.

That would apply the same with the rebate. You are making the assumption that the rebate reduced acquisition cost. If you say the tax is irrelevant then you should equally say that the rebate is irrelevant and shouldn’t be included in determining a price.

The analysis of price comes from the buyer side and not seller. The seller is of course free to set whatever price he or she wants. The buyer will almost certainly be able to take advantage of the federal tax credit if they buy new, and in many states, they will need to pay the same tax if they buy new or used. So the tax paid would be irrelevant in coming up with what a buyer would reasonably be looking for.

If we are talking about a state that doesn't charge tax for used cars then that would be a different story and it most certainly could be factored in.

Reactions: Xolt
As skreemer7 says, selling in a state with no sales tax on used cars could help you reduce your depreciation losses. Arizona has no sales tax on used vehicles purchased from private parties, so try advertising in Phoenix or Tucson. Both are relatively close to you and who in Arizona isn't looking for an excuse to visit San Diego in August??

Reactions: dv8ed
At least talk with Tesla about a trade in.

My saab story - damages (1989 SPG turbo model - still really like this car)
hood keyed 3 foot long
tree fell on roof - 3 dents
pickup truck bumper dented rear deck lid
front driver fender (worst damate) from underground cement post
rear wheel well scrape - black taped that one.
rear tail light - taped and then got a good deal on a lens.

OK - did ANYONE notice? I noticed the hood every Sat for the first decade.
I notice the dents when I wax it. Gone from 4 to 2 to once a year.
ONE person did notice the front fender - paint missing, surprised more don't notice - well 20 by then.
When was the last time you noticed damage on your friend's cars?

Just learn to let go. I might have fixed front fender IF the car was <5years old, but at 20, why bother?
You have a CLASSIC - you could own it for the rest of your life, probably. How cool to own/drive THE classic Model S that started it all +30 years from now. And it will still be too quick for most.
It is just a thing - health, family, friends, community are all more important, you know that.
(When will total insurance payments = total car payments? You could maybe tell us.)

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Haha. Interesting to see that this thread devolved into building a financial model for used Tesla valuations :p. Probably my own mistake for trying to say anything but "this is how much I'm selling it for, take it, leave it, or try to negotiate".

But it was certainly interesting, and opened my eye to how much I've actually lost in the first 5 months. Given that depreciation will probably significantly slow down now, I might as well just hold it for a couple more years. If you would ask me right now if I'd buy my car for 82k, the answer would be definitely yes. And in a way, by realizing that it's valued at 82k, I care a bit less about it losing value and/or damaging it further :D.

And regarding the federal tax credit, I also agree that the loss of the tax credit is probably priced in at this moment. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla drops the price of all its cars by 7.5k as soon as the credits run out.

Anyway, yeah. No longer for sale. Mods, feel free to delete this thread.

You all make very good points, especially S4WRXTTCS.

Regarding tax credits, you're right, I should definitely be taking that into account. However, I won't take into account CA's tax credit since there's an income cutoff that I doubt a lot of people would be under. And regarding @KCapital's point about the interior seating: I agree. Except, that's already priced in! I.e., if someone wants the other seat configs, they'd have to pay an extra $Xk*depreciation factor to someone selling the same car with the seating configurations they want. In order words, it's not like I got the 6/7 configuration, then somehow sold those extra seats, and am trying to sell the car priced as a 5 seat config (which is what your calculation implies :)).

Therefore, I've readjusted my price to take into account the federal tax credit, slightly time-discounted.

• New price: $90,000

Now you've got an inventory dump from Tesla to compete with:
HUGE DUMP of 2018 Inventory!