TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Buy new Model S or used Model S - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by USCjon, May 20, 2014.

1. USCjon

USCjon Member

I am in the process of getting one. Is it wise to buy new or used? I am looking at a blk/ blk, 60 kw, pano roof, leather seats, tech package, fog light. Please advised. Thanks.

2. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

I'd suggest just buying a new one. The used market is sparse and you might not get the options/colors you want. You could also call up your local Tesla store and ask a rep to look up inventory cars for you to see if you can find one that you like.

3. USCjon

USCjon Member

Thanks for the advice, Dave. I will call a local Tesla store.

4. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

Usually their 60kwh inventory is quite sparse. But if you find a good rep, they could check every day for you and you might score deal.

5. USCjon

USCjon Member

I am hoping for that.

6. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

If you are looking specifically for a S60, do you want it to be supercharge enabled?
    If you want that feature, and the [used] car has not yet been enabled, it will cost additional $2,500.

7. ABVA

ABVA Member

It all depends on the price point and if you can find a used/inventory car with all the options you want. You will be living with your MS for a long time after all.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Note that because Tesla upgrades the car frequently, a new one will have all the latest upgrades. I vote new.

9. smsprague

smsprague Member

When I ordered my car at the end of April I had the San Diego store check inventory. They had multiple S60's and multiple loaded P85's.

10. trigga71

trigga71 Member

If you buy used do your research as little things have changed. Like folding mirrors, parking sensors. if its 85kWh check if its an A Battery or B Battery, if that concerns you (only seems to affect supercharging AFAIK). Also some options can be added later, like supercharging and twin chargers, although you pay more later to get them. AND now some options you can only get bundled with other options like Active Air now you need tech package. So if you want active air but don't really want or need tech looking used might get you in cheaper.

11. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

More importantly if you buy a used one from a private party you don't get the tax break.

12. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I vote new as well. What kind of drives do you go on or what kind of commute do you have? There is a good thread on the 60kWh vs the 85kWh here
    60 kWh vs 85 kWh packs

If you are planning on much travel outside Superchargers it can make a difference.