Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy new or used 2021/2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put an order in for an S. I currently have a Dec-Feb window for the LR. When I placed the order, used S's were going for close to list. But now they are (inevitably) coming down. I looks like currently I could pretty readily save $10,000 buy buying a low mileage used (yoke-style) S. I am not sure that is enough. You give up some warranty, etc. At $15,000 I might see it differently. I have not checked out new versus used interest rates. That could be an important factor. I also don't have a handle on Tesla's loan department. I don't think I want to go the lease route because I hope to do some upgrades to the wheels and tires (I am into performance, but feel a Plaid is overkill even for me), but have not made a final decision in this regard. Any words of wisdom?

$10k is nothing to sneeze at(for me). BUt its also ~10% of the cost of the car...

Is 10% enough to go used vs new with the config of your choice and zero miles? For me? Not sure...but I dont think so. (and to me $10k is NOTHING to sneeze at).
I too love performance/acceleration. But the LR is MORE than enough. First car Ive ever owned (and ive owned a few) where I can say "yes, this is actually enough speed/power for me" and Im not wanting more.

That said..Ive never driven a plaid. and I dont..intend to anytime soon. (never miss what you havent had).

10K is not nothing for me either, but I too see it as not enough. I have driven a Plaid but not the LR yet (have a test drive scheduled). The Plaid is definitely a rocket, but probably a bit dangerous on the street. Floor it instinctively in an emergency and one could lose control. Like you, usually I want a car to be still faster. But I do not think it will be true of the LR. Glad to hear you think the LR is fast enough for you. I assume the same will be true for me.

10K is not nothing for me either, but I too see it as not enough. I have driven a Plaid but not the LR yet (have a test drive scheduled). The Plaid is definitely a rocket, but probably a bit dangerous on the street. Floor it instinctively in an emergency and one could lose control. Like you, usually I want a car to be still faster. But I do not think it will be true of the LR. Glad to hear you think the LR is fast enough for you. I assume the same will be true for me.
0-60 in 3.1 seconds.. (with no hesitation due to gear shifting) combined with almost 700lb/ft of torque and AWD with flawless traction control (never skips/hesitates/cuts power)..I mean, that's supercar acceleration and chances of you encountering something faster at a stoplight (and if it is faster, will the driver be able to effectively put the power down to the road) is near zero. Imagine a brand new $400k+ Ferrari 812 Superfast pulling up next to you..and at best, staying even with you to 60..

As it is, full acceleration in the LR is still a brutal feeling and if not prepared, can be a bit...uncomfortable, G-force wise.

On a day to day basis, I can honestly say I rarely am using even 1/2 of the LR's power. Occassionally I'll floor it to pass someone, merge onto a interstate, etc. But is the power more than enough? 100%. And Im coming from AMG/s and //M as my last several cars where with those, as powerful as they were, I always wanted just a bit more power..

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Good point 2101. We forget that the Tesla of today commonly outperforms most performance cars today, and blows away most performance cars from just a few years ago. 0-60 in 4 seconds use to be rarely achieved by an ICE, and even now it is only the higher end ones that can get into the 3's, often at far greater cost. What is still missing for electric cars is performance ICE handling. I did not buy the S before this because the handling was not what I needed. The 3's handling meets my minimum threshold, but it is too small and (at least in the past) the seats were too uncomfortable for me. I now find the S handling to be acceptable, but I would still rather be in most Porsches for this piece alone. When you add it all up, though, I would pay close to 50% more for a used Porsche that meets my needs than the LR. For that kind of money, I can live with a bit less handling, and there are some after market solutions that will catch me up some, still for less money net. Then there are Tesla's impressive Nürburgring times...

A new delivery is likely to have defects, which will take time to correct, if in fact they are corrected. In addition, Tesla will make mistakes and break stuff.

I have a better than average 2022, May delivery MS LR, it's for sale, for 90% of what current list is now.

180 miles, garaged and covered.

Reactions: AMPd
Also going to jump on the "used S for sale" wagon here. Now that the new ones may be shipping without ultrasonic parking sensors in 2023, the value prop is pretty clear. They've been shipping without charge cables for a while.

I have a May MS LR White/Black/Wood/21"/FSD for sale in CO for 85% of what current list is with 640 miles, garaged. PM for details.

Build dates are always a thing with used Teslas -- so those shipped before matrix headlights came online aren't going to be worth as much.

+1 to plaid being overkill, insane mode on the upgraded wheels is enough.

Also going to jump on the "used S for sale" wagon here. Now that the new ones may be shipping without ultrasonic parking sensors in 2023, the value prop is pretty clear.

Build dates are always a thing with used Teslas -- so those shipped before matrix headlights came online aren't going to be worth as much.
That's a good point, unless they disable the US via a software upgrade, like they did with radar.

Thinking out loud: I think that because you looked at used, cost must be at the top of your list in importance. Minor features differences between the two years aren't a consideration. Because even the new one won't have features of one built even 6mos later. However, a feature difference could be significant if it affects safety or other area important to you. All that said, you should buy the used one after scrutinizing it. For me I would only buy brand new.

Thinking out loud: I think that because you looked at used, cost must be at the top of your list in importance. Minor features differences between the two years aren't a consideration. Because even the new one won't have features of one built even 6mos later. However, a feature difference could be significant if it affects safety or other area important to you. All that said, you should buy the used one after scrutinizing it. For me I would only buy brand new.
Brand new may have not only missing features, but shipping damage and defects, and additional damage caused by attempts to fix, ask me how I know!

Only exception is a new car that is outwardly perfect, but hard to acertain that in an hour or less.

Looks like I'll get Carioke, and my energy graph back in the .36 update. Hope I don't loose anything like USS though.

Reactions: zoomer0056
That a used one might involve fewer headaches than a new one is a good (mostly Tesla-specific) argument.
Until you take a used car to Service.

Tech rode with me an diagnosed a vibration I saw in std mode due to worn front half shafts.

They replaced them under warranty on Friday. Car drove great at first, then today I saw this in my driveway:

Guess that'll teach me not to put cardboard under ALL my cars when parked...

At this point, if I could offramp the Tesla ecosystem, I would.

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_082004882.jpg
    IMG_20221009_082004882.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 115