Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy new or used MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful information. This is my first post.

I have been looking into buying a Model X. Is it really worth the price tag?

I have been looking a lot online and have been looking at some fully loaded 2016 MX for about the same price as a new base model 100D. Are there any disadvantages to buying a used Tesla?

I really want AP2. I drive 160 miles round trip to work so I would feel much more comfortable with at least a 90 or 100.

I always work nights and with the long commute I'm really looking forward to using AP2. I think it will be a lifesaver on the long drive home when I am tired and my reflexes aren't as fast as usual. Or is that an unrealistic and dangerous expectation?

I test drive Model X at the Service Center in Texas on 2/15. I'm looking to buy one soon afterwards if I like it as much as I think I will.

Thanks for your time!

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
HI there,

Great to hear you are planning to join the Tesla family!
My opinion: Rather buy a brand new base model vs a loaded used model. The first option gives you access to the most current tech, and you dont have to worry how the prev owner used the car.

Mick

Also, if you buy new, you'll have unlimited free supercharging (and you can now get $500 off as well btw)
Just a clarification - the $500 referral credit is now a service or accessories credit. It is not a direct credit toward the purchase price of the vehicle.

The best deal is on new inventory vehicle. Don't know when they will come back. I wouldn't get an used one because newer builds continue to have improvements over the older builds. For example, I have a 09/2016 build and I had a loaner built 06/2017. The 2017 build was much more refined with less noise (even the turn signal was quieter, believe it or not). Currently, AP2 does not have any advantage over AP1.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful information. This is my first post.

I have been looking into buying a Model X. Is it really worth the price tag?

I have been looking a lot online and have been looking at some fully loaded 2016 MX for about the same price as a new base model 100D. Are there any disadvantages to buying a used Tesla?

I really want AP2. I drive 160 miles round trip to work so I would feel much more comfortable with at least a 90 or 100.

I always work nights and with the long commute I'm really looking forward to using AP2. I think it will be a lifesaver on the long drive home when I am tired and my reflexes aren't as fast as usual. Or is that an unrealistic and dangerous expectation?

I test drive Model X at the Service Center in Texas on 2/15. I'm looking to buy one soon afterwards if I like it as much as I think I will.

Thanks for your time!

I was in the same boat as you and wasn't sure what to do but in the end I went with a new one configured exactly how I wanted it but more importantly is having the unlimited lifetime free supercharging especially if you have superchargers nearby or if you do long distance trips then you won't regret having the free supercharging. Sure you need a referral code which anyone here would be happy to provide you with (including me).

And regarding the price it is 100% worth it I love my Model X and if you have any questions about the car I would be happy to answer them as someone who owns one and drives it daily, not from a sales person's perspective. One way to shave off some of the cost is go with the 5 seat configuration, unless you need additional seating, I was happy to take a few thousand off the price AND get more storage which ironically I would have probably paid more for!

If you have any questions feel free to ask me and if you need a referral code I would be happy to provide you with mine and will even give you a free wall charger because I am just trying to rack up referrals to get a Roadster! Even though I just started still trying to be optimistic!

Steve

With 160 miles commute, don't get the 75D. My wife got a 75D in Dec because she only drives about 20 to 40 miles a day. I took it work one day (125 miles roundtrip), I got back and it was just over 50 miles left on it. Full rated mile on the 75D is like 237, but you only charge to to 90% which is about 209. And then you drive a little faster than 70 and if you have any hills or if it is cold, the real range will drop to 180 or lower. You need the 100D.

Autopilot is great for long commute especially if there is traffic. You get to do some exercise with your right foot and don't have to keep hoovering it over the throttle or brake pedal!