Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy now or wait for 2021 model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm going to buy a new model 3 SR+ from the existing inventory, but not sure if now is the best time for two reasons:
- they might reduce the prices soon when they start importing from china or because of AUD/USD rates. No sure when though.
- if I wait another 3 months I can buy 2021 model and at the time of selling my car the year will affect the price I guess.

It's hard to make a decision. On one hand I can't wait to drive it, on the other hand I don't want to feel like a loser after my purchase.

Any ideas?
I am not sure where did you get the idea from that Tesla will import from China, which would be both economically and politically incorrect. If they have their own factories in the US why would they decide to import? Besides that, the cost of shipping is now much higher than it was last year, let alone all the import tariffs imposed, so I am not sure it would make any sense at all, even if they could benefit from the lower labor cost.
As far as the 2021 model is concerned please check the thread about VIN numbers and how to read them. It seems that the letter "M" in the 10th position on the VIN number is going to indicate the 2021 models. The common belief is that the 2021 VINs will start appearing from mid-November, so now may be actually a good time to place an order if this matters to you.
What can really make you wait is the news that the refreshed M3 is on the way and supposedly will start shipping by the end of this year. You may want to check the threads on this.

I hope OP waited.
heat pump and cornering light, heated steering wheel are still TBC, Model 3 got a nice pump in range and a host of updates.
I'm thinking of returning my car. Not sure how easy the process would be but it's been less than a week that I received my car so I think I can ask for a refund. I'll talk to them on Monday.

Thank you very much for helping me to make up my mind. I simply couldn't make a decision and now I'm going to buy it. glad that I asked it here. You are all right, the waiting game for the next feature never ends. If I knew it's only 3 months of waiting I would wait but nobody knows how long should I wait for the new features / heat pump and I lose the joy of drving a Tesla.

The other reason which had made it hard for me was that earlier this year the AU price for model 3 SR increased $6,000 because AUD lost it's value againist USD. Now AUD is back to what it was before but model 3 SR price is still the same. Interstingly US prices has dropped since then, it's hard to pay more for what everyone else outside AU is paying less! It is what it is, as long as they can sell it at this price why should they drop the prices!

I still think it worth the mony, I go ahead and buy one from the existing inventory :)

Really glad I read all of this. Test driving this Sunday and have been fighting myself if I should order online and wait 7-10 weeks now according to the site. And honestly that time frame is when I will be out of the state. My locations I’m test driving has a performance model 3 for the same price as the 2021 long range. I know software updates will bring the range to match the new performance one but not with the 2021 price. The 2020 that is available only has 500 miles on it so I think I’m going to roll with that.