Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy now or wait for 2021 model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
definitely this
If you read back in the forum you'll see all sorts of crazy rumors. Some kind of came true but many more were completely baseless.
For real entertainment, look up Model 3 and HUD to see some crazy speculation based on nothing

BTW think twice about SR, the LR is not much more expensive and SR owners usually regret it here (although I agree you have no winter there).

$9k isn't trivial. The SR+ range suits our needs perfectly and the added range with the LR wasn't worth the added cost for us. AWD wasn't a necessary feature either. People just need to weigh the pros/cons for their individual situation.

Reactions: davidc18 and Phlier
I agree that it's not worth waiting for new features.

Back in 2017, I placed an order for a Model S 75 but then cancelled after rumors of an interior revamp coming soon. Lots of news sites kept speculating with confidence and made me legitimately believe that it was just a few months out. More than 3 years later, still nothing.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
It's like computers or TVs, there will always be improvements. The only reason I haven't ordered mine yet is because I have nowhere to go right now because of COVID. I work from home, and it looks like controls at the provincial border of Ontario/Quebec are probably coming back to limit crossings to essential travel.

In terms of SR+ vs LR, it really depends on your needs. I'd be fine with the SR+ range. In the 9 years I've had my Chevrolet Volt, it's never been more than 300 miles away from home. I want AWD however because winters are brutal here, and RWD is not ideal in those conditions. I'm looking for something with performance as well. Heck, I'd love a SR+ AWD Performance with 225 mile of range, but that's unlikely to ever exist :)

Also, in certain locations, EV incentives are only available on the SR+ because of a price ceiling. that makes the difference between the SR+ and LR a lot bigger.

Logical or not, a one year “newer” car will have better resale value like-for-like. This is how the auto market has worked for decades.

If you plan on selling/trading it in early in its life, that's true. If you keep the car for a while (which makes the most financial sense), it doesn't matter that much. Someone shopping for a used 2012/2013 model S probably values condition a lot more than the specific year. The difference between the model years would be minimal, even for the same condition.

I've kept all my cars 9-10 years, resale value is the least of my worries.

I sure did!

He was the guy that did my actual instrument rating check ride! The last name of my CFII escapes me now (wow, has it really been 34 years?), but his first name was Bryce.

I got my private ticket in 91. John was my DPE. (I got my instrument and commercial in my airplane, so CAS was not an option.) John was a unique dude. Sadly, we lost him in June 2017 after his courageous battle with cancer. He was crusty John right up to his flight west. Diana still runs the place, though!

Reactions: Phlier
Buy the biggest battery you can afford. Please do not take into account any
rumors that have not been confirmed by Tesla, we have a lot of folks that would
like to have features as well as 50% more battery at the same price. My guess
short term, makes no sense, see it my rumor.

Actually jankratochvil and you are right, I did a bit of research and I agree with you, found that I can afford it by having a balloon payment at the end of my loan.
Many people say you get the best value for your money when you buy SR, otherwise you pay $20,000 more for battery, and the battery technology will be changed later. But if I buy SR I still have to pay a lot of money and have range anxiety too, not 100% enjoyment and the battery technology upgrade takes 3 years to come.

Glad that I double checked here before ordering my SR. so my decision is LR and I won't wait for VIN to change :) the only problem is there's no white LR in the existing inventory :(

Same with one of my friends. He and his spouse got a standard range and they don’t feel worried about range anxiety. But they have to be aware of their mileage. Where they’re going. Where is there charging and what they need to get back. I got long range awd. Sure I’m somewhere with no snow, but their is fair amount of rain and all weal drive helps a lot. It is actually helpful in sported driving in generally. Likewise I never wanted to think about do I have enough range, am I charged, is there a supercharger on the trip. So again I don’t have to worry or even really think about it as I always have more than enough even when low. I also preferred the price uprated features of the package. Overall I’m happy for so many reason. Not to mention I researched the resale for down the road and higher packages provide a much higher resale over entry/base/lower tear cars.

Hi, I'm going to buy a new model 3 SR+ from the existing inventory, but not sure if now is the best time for two reasons:
- they might reduce the prices soon when they start importing from china or because of AUD/USD rates. No sure when though.
- if I wait another 3 months I can buy 2021 model and at the time of selling my car the year will affect the price I guess.

It's hard to make a decision. On one hand I can't wait to drive it, on the other hand I don't want to feel like a loser after my purchase.

Any ideas?

EVs and Teslas are always evolving, and if you wait for "the next enhancement" and/or price reductions you will be waiting forever. Also, Tesla dont have model years, they gradually enhance the cars over time (they are kinda forced to declare a model year for VIN etc purposes, but that's pretty much all).

If you plan on selling/trading it in early in its life, that's true. If you keep the car for a while (which makes the most financial sense), it doesn't matter that much. Someone shopping for a used 2012/2013 model S probably values condition a lot more than the specific year. The difference between the model years would be minimal, even for the same condition.

I've kept all my cars 9-10 years, resale value is the least of my worries.
At my age and based on how long I plan to keep the cars resale values are our kids problem.

Well, I'd say now is actually a good time to wait if you want the features from the Y in the 3, because Tesla will be making changes to the 3 like having black trim standard around the windows and side indicators + the addition of the octovalve and heat pump.... and maybe something else.

Now, if you don't care about having the heat pump (~10% increase in efficiency) or black trim (you can do chrome delete) then get a 3 as soon as you can.

SR+ has more than enough range for most driving but actually owning one, I'd say to pass on it and get at least a Long Range just so you can have the premium sound and additional range which will come in handy on long trips (even if you take those frequently, SR+ has plenty for them too, just takes slightly a little more time charging is all)

Also, with the mods I've done to my SR+, I basically could have afforded to buy a LR AWD instead. I actually should have just bought that because I plan on keeping my SR+ for a while, so if I had gotten the LR I'd be able to enjoy the premium sound system for the duration of ownership and the extra range if needed (and more power which = more fun).

But I'm more than happy with what I have. I just try to avoid getting in friend's AWD or Performance models because I then feel slight regret lol

I would say just buy. It can be months for something to be changed or a year. The time you wait you could be enjoying it and I think because the year on year model change is busted your car remains relevant for longer. I don't not see the first 3 outdated in fact even longer as the competition struggle to even match.

I am hoping they do the minor internal and external update by the time I plan to get my M3P around Xmas. The chrome blackout is something I plan on doing the first weekend of ownership. Would be nice to have it come from factory like that.

Logical or not, a one year “newer” car will have better resale value like-for-like. This is how the auto market has worked for decades.
you've obviously not been looking at Tesla resale value then. Model year is a big deal for most cars - but as Tesla doesn't use them it has proved to not be the case.
What is more important for Tesla's is what is installed - it means you have to know what you're looking for.