Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been back and forth on this in my head...with more ev competition, battery prices getting cheaper, I know if I wait the price of the M3 will come down. And I don't need to buy right now.

What I might want is another thing...

Anyone care to offer words of wisdom?
For us folks in Colorado, the state EV credit which is $5000, is going to drop as well at some point in the future. No time like the present I say.

Been back and forth on this in my head...with more ev competition, battery prices getting cheaper, I know if I wait the price of the M3 will come down. And I don't need to buy right now.

What I might want is another thing...

Anyone care to offer words of wisdom?
If you don't need to buy now, I'd definitely *definitely* suggest waiting. My exact build dropped by $4k just a couple months after delivery, it seems Tesla is trying to keep up with the drop in possible savings from the tax credit, so you won't actually lose out on anything from the bottom line if you're counting that in. I expect they'll continue doing that until it's completely phased out. Additionally, they'll likely be making rapid advancements in battery production efficiency as the Gigafacotries expand in the next year or so

If you wait, you’re guaranteed to miss out on $1875 of the fed tax credit.

So, let’s say the vehicle price drops by $2k in July. You’d have saved a grand total of $125 by waiting.

I can p@@s away $125 a lot worse ways than driving the most amazing car on the market.
They're dropping the car price to stay with the tax credit though. My exact build dropped by $4k, and is also effectively upgraded to FSD since I only had the option to get "Enhanced" Autopilot when I ordered last November. So even though you lose $3750 in tax incentive, I actually would have come out $50 ahead in base price, plus actually another $6k it takes to get FSD now, since my EAP doesn't mean a thing to them.

I have the same dilemma. I'm thinking about this for a few months, I ready to buy it now, but my wisdom says me wait for a little. I think it is reasonable to wait for the price will come down.
The price will definitely go down, and they seem intent on keeping the price minus tax credit equation level. Just after the $7,500 credit got cut in half, my exact build decreased in cost by $4k. Plus, since FSD is an option again, the $5k I threw at "Enhanced" Autopilot can now be put into Full Self Driving, with better hardware. If you can wait, I'd advise at least waiting to see what pans out with their full self driving situation.

They're dropping the car price to stay with the tax credit though. My exact build dropped by $4k, and is also effectively upgraded to FSD since I only had the option to get "Enhanced" Autopilot when I ordered last November. So even though you lose $3750 in tax incentive, I actually would have come out $50 ahead in base price, plus actually another $6k it takes to get FSD now, since my EAP doesn't mean a thing to them.

They did that price drop once - do you think they'll do that again? I don't. My gut says there'll be some fluctuation, but I doubt we'll see another $4k across-the-board drop.

Technology evolves and changes. If I had just waited 2 years when I bought my iPhone 4, I could've had an iPhone 6. But I would've had 2 more years of suffering with a BlackBerry Storm. Both are phones, but it's clear the iPhone was a revolution.

I feel exactly the same way about the Model 3. There's a chance it'll drop in price (surely not guaranteed) - but it's clear that the Model 3 is a revolution compared to what I drove before. What's that worth?

It's a side note, but I drove my wife's 2018 Buick Enclave yesterday for the first time since picking up my Model 3 on 4/19. I was always very pleased with the Buick's handling and powertrain (keeping in mind it's a big lumbering SUV.)

... yeah. Not so much now. It felt... arcane. Couldn't wait to get back into my Model 3. It's not all dollars and cents .... joy and happiness enter the equation in my book.

The price will definitely go down, and they seem intent on keeping the price minus tax credit equation level. Just after the $7,500 credit got cut in half, my exact build decreased in cost by $4k. Plus, since FSD is an option again, the $5k I threw at "Enhanced" Autopilot can now be put into Full Self Driving, with better hardware. If you can wait, I'd advise at least waiting to see what pans out with their full self driving situation.
So you are complaining that you paid $250 more for the car? I paid more for mine as well but I am glad Tesla is taking the tax credit instead of the consumer because Tesla is putting everything on the line, not the consumer (well maybe a few irresponsible consumers are).

In my opinion, if you are looking for the price to go down then just buy it now. However, if you are waiting cause you aren't sure Tesla is ready yet, then wait. After getting the Model 3 myself, it feels like the vehicle itself is very beta. Backup camera would sometime black out or has a large delay till it shows on display; the display could suddenly turn itself off disabling most of the features in the car temporarily; Door handles don't always open even if you have your phone with you and requires multiple tries.

All in all, if you like Tesla go for it. Some people here mentioned if you and other people wait to purchase, then Tesla would go bankrupt kind of implies the risk that comes along with owning a Tesla.

Owning a prius is already very kind to the climate, not to mention you only got it for one year. People changing vehicles frequently is one of the major cause of pollution from cars.

Your vehicle shouldn't cause you any kind of worries, it should be a reliable transportation machine, plus some fun for some of us.

By the way, Don't go for black if you do purchase a Tesla! Impossible to keep clean and I wash it once every 2-3 days.

I have a confession to make. I don't even care about the gas
or any other savings. All the software issues aren't defects,
they get fixed as we go. But most importantly for me, I get
big benefits in less stressful commutes, I love how it handles,
and I simply enjoy the car so much that it's effectively priceless.

You buy a car knowing ultimately it will turn into scrap metal.
So you're getting X years of use out it, end of story. To me
these years are important and the Tesla improves them, so
it's not a matter of differences in cost or value or anything.
No point in living in a calculator. Some things are like that.

Last edited:
If you don’t need a new car why buy one? The only rationale against that is if your current car swills gasoline and you use it a lot. If so, then it definitely makes sense to ditch it now. I’m not in that situation. My monthly fuel bills are absurdly low already, so a Model 3, while cool and desirable in many ways, will save me next to nothing. As in, it will pay back the costs of installing the NEMA 14-50 (already done) in fuel savings after about two years. Maybe.
That’s how it looks to me, anyway.
Robin
Even though your cost savings might be low with a Model 3, it produces no emissions, and that is a huge positive for our ecosystem. Look at it as your contribution to our planet.

I bought a AWD Model 3 in the middle of March, just before the price went up. I thought I picked the perfect time to buy, but then read in April about all the "end of quarter" deals that would have been available if I waited 1-2 more weeks. I tried to get a price reduction on a 2018 made car but my salesman wouldn't budge - they found a 2019 made car and I paid the full fare. Now the car is $1000 less then it was when I bought it, which I am ok with, but I think I could have saved thousands had I been more patient in March. Judging from what I am reading, Tesla is going to be in the same boat at the end of Q2. I absolutely love the car, but I wish I knew when I bought it how much Tesla deals at the end of each quarter

Even though your cost savings might be low with a Model 3, it produces no emissions, and that is a huge positive for our ecosystem. Look at it as your contribution to our planet.
I totally agree with you about the transition to renewables and electrification of transportation. Probably just about everyone here does. I prefer solutions that are more than symbolic, though, and in my circumstances, ditching a very efficient hybrid (that burns $30 of fuel per month, max) that doesn’t need replacing for a snazzy new M3 would be almost entirely symbolic.
For example, I could cut down four enormous trees that shade my roof and install solar PV. Mega symbol. Or I could spend a tiny fraction of that and superinsulate my house (which I have done). Invisible, but very, very effective.
Plus, I get to keep the trees. That’s how I analyze it, anyway.
Robin

Reactions: Keromaru
Tax credits are cut in half again at the end of June so that would be $1,875 you could have received back. There's a chance Tesla could cut prices to match like they did in Jan but you never know. There will always be more EV competition and cheaper batteries but I doubt things will change much within the next 6 months if you're interested in buying now.

Not for me. I haven't qualified for any of the tax credits so they are useless to me. I'm waiting till July 1st to see if they drop the price of SR+ when the tax credit lowers like they did with the Mid range...

If they don't I'll probably just go with the 35k and get my beloved white seats

I totally agree with you about the transition to renewables and electrification of transportation. Probably just about everyone here does. I prefer solutions that are more than symbolic, though, and in my circumstances, ditching a very efficient hybrid (that burns $30 of fuel per month, max) that doesn’t need replacing for a snazzy new M3 would be almost entirely symbolic.
For example, I could cut down four enormous trees that shade my roof and install solar PV. Mega symbol. Or I could spend a tiny fraction of that and superinsulate my house (which I have done). Invisible, but very, very effective.
Plus, I get to keep the trees. That’s how I analyze it, anyway.
Robin

I agree, not to mention Tesla isn't zero emission. Electricity is also emission, unless your source is purely solar, wind and hydro( which also have their own emission).

I have a Y Performance reserved because I prefer a crossover. Then I thought, 'Why wait two years. I want to show each of my friends (and my wife) what is so unique about Tesla and EVs.' None of the announced EVs come close to Tesla and I say that without yet owning one. A test drive in a Model 3 Performance was enough to sell me. I want to own the game changer. I want to be part of the revolution. So I am buying a Model 3 Long Range demonstrator now. Lead, follow or get out of the way. -$2,000 is not the choice. Electricity is the choice. I have waited since EV1 for this chance.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
I have a Y Performance reserved because I prefer a crossover. Then I thought, 'Why wait two years. I want to show each of my friends (and my wife) what is so unique about Tesla and EVs.' None of the announced EVs come close to Tesla and I say that without yet owning one. A test drive in a Model 3 Performance was enough to sell me. I want to own the game changer. I want to be part of the revolution. So I am buying a Model 3 Long Range demonstrator now. Lead, follow or get out of the way. -$2,000 is not the choice. Electricity is the choice. I have waited since EV1 for this chance.

I preferred a crossover too ... but jumped out of a Cadillac XT5 and into the Model 3 and to be honest ... I don’t miss the XT5. The 3 has plenty of room for what I need. Much rather be in the electric future than waiting around for a taller version.

So you are complaining that you paid $250 more for the car? I paid more for mine as well but I am glad Tesla is taking the tax credit instead of the consumer because Tesla is putting everything on the line, not the consumer (well maybe a few irresponsible consumers are).
No, I'm complaing about the $4k overnight depreciation I experienced, which I could overlook if they weren't still asking another $6k for FSD after I already paid $5k for EAP. As it stands right now, the exact spec of car I bought can be had for $4k less than what I paid, plus, it comes with HW3 for FSD, while I'm stuck on HW2.5. To get my car up to HW3 with future FSD capability, I have to finish paying $10k more than an identical brand new car would cost right now. $10,000 > $250 (40x over)