Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy online or at the store?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG! You said dealership!!!! That's almost as bad as saying "bigger battery"!

I'd go to the local dealer (yep, they deal in cars so they are dealers) so you can meet with someone and they can go over the car with you and you can get a test drive. My guy let me have the car overnight to really get the feel for what it's like. It was definitely worth doing it because we took a long trip and got to experience "range anxiety" due to cold temps.

When it comes to actually making the purchase, it happens online whether you do it yourself or with a salesperson. They'll just do it at their store or kiosk or you can do it at home.

No dealerships... actually, even if you go to the Service Center or Showroom, they will help you configure your car on-line... everything is custom ordered through the on-line system. They are very helpful at the Showrooms as to options to order.

OMG! You said dealership!!!! That's almost as bad as saying "bigger battery"!

I'd go to the local dealer (yep, they deal in cars so they are dealers) so you can meet with someone and they can go over the car with you and you can get a test drive. My guy let me have the car overnight to really get the feel for what it's like.
You make fun of those of us who cringe when we hear someone talk about a Tesla "dealership", but I continue to believe it's important we don't use that term. One of the best things about Tesla is it sells directly to consumers rather than through dealers. The auto dealer cartel is spending millions to protect their turf and stop Tesla from doing this. If we don't oppose them, and shine light on the better and more pro-consumer business model that Tesla has, then who will?

The Tesla store doesn't "deal in cars" any more than an Apple Store deals in phones. A dealer is a business that represents someone else's product.

While I'm seemingly taking issue with everything you're saying, I think prospective owners should also be aware that taking a car home overnight doesn't really give you a feel for what it is like, because the prospective owner doesn't likely have 240V charging capability in his garage yet, so he doesn't experience the new paradigm of starting each day with a full charge. That may add to range anxiety rather than show it isn't an issue. This has happened when reporters have taken the car for overnight or a week to write about it.

Reactions: Krugerrand
The definition of a dealer is someone that deals in goods which is what Apple and Tesla does.
I can see why you might not like dealership but also think that new members could be treated with more kid gloves than I've seen in the past on this forum (although this time it was pretty mild).

Reactions: doug
Model 3 buyers will be more of the "common man". They will call Tesla stores, galleries and service centers "dealerships" more than anyone wants to hear. Especially the combo sales/service centers. "Going down to the Tesla dealer tomorrow..." It's just so common in the vernacular.