Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy P100D now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

Switching from a Model S 90D, is it smart to buy the Model X P100D now, or do you suggest to wait because a larger battery version might
come out soon?

There’s also the Free Unlimited Supercharger referral thing going until end of Jan. 2018 so not sure if that’s something serious to consider?

Best regards!

Reactions: NeverFollow
For your battery question: there will ALWAYS be something to wait for. If they upgrade the battery tech tomorrow then you'd say "well it should be better in 1 year time so should I wait?" and the cycle continues forever.

The free supercharging is nice but how often are you really going to go to a supercharger? Most report a $2,000-$5,000 savings over a 5 year period depending on usage.

• Helpful
Reactions: NeverFollow
I believe the Panasonic contract to make cells for the S/X ended 1/1/2018.
I suspect a battery and or interior redesign for the S is coming.
The X may get additional battery options.

My best speculation is that to make the S competitive in the new world, Tesla will have to look to improve the inside of it.
Reducing costs means they can sell it cheaper (not gonna happen), or improve it, to sell more of them at the higher price.

They need to do something to justify the price over the 3... and do it soon... My gut tells me by summer a new S and or batteries is coming...

I would recommend waiting if you can.

Interior refresh, bigger battery being the biggest reasons:

Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD

And, well, the AR HUD of course. ;)

hud-jpg.267636

The X is a 2 year old car basically, I don't think it needs an exterior refresh and I highly doubt it will get one. The model S on the other hand has become stale imo, i would not buy one over a model 3 right now. The added tech in model X (auto and fwd doors, windshield) also make the S feel a generation behind. I thought the auto doors in the X were a gimmick until I owned one, driving a loaner model S since felt like going back in time.

As far as when to buy, that is a personal preference. Are you the type that feels unhappy knowing they don't have the absolute newest model of everything? An interior refresh isn't going to change the X much, maybe the dash looks a little different but seats are seats and headliner/carpet are what they are.

Our other vehicles are 24 and 7 years old, both top end models for their class when they were new. I don't enjoy them any less because there are newer versions of each in existence.

Chasing the latest and greatest Tesla will cause endless misery and piles of money. Good luck with that. While you wait your just losing more time you could have been driving a Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: HugoBoss
I would recommend waiting if you can.

Interior refresh, bigger battery being the biggest reasons:

Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD

And, well, the AR HUD of course. ;)

hud-jpg.267636

bigger battery is a possibility but the Augmented Reality is just wishful thinking. there are laws against obstructing forward view that is why current HUD is only limited to a small area just above the dashboard and out of the main field of view.

Hi there,

Switching from a Model S 90D, is it smart to buy the Model X P100D now, or do you suggest to wait because a larger battery version might
come out soon?

There’s also the Free Unlimited Supercharger referral thing going until end of Jan. 2018 so not sure if that’s something serious to consider?

Best regards!
Wow I had a very similar dilemma last year. I had a S90D on order and I moved the deposit to a SP100D and I have no regrets. I’m very happy I changed my order. I bought an inventory car with 1000 miles so it came with a discount. I love the power, it’s amazing. Very very very hard to justify spending the money. I searched for a reason and reached out to TMC members and going through the process I realized there was no way to justify it, it’s senseless and upon recognizing that I switched my order. :) I wanted it, I could afford it, I worked very hard to afford it and so I treated myself. It could fit my wife, son and dog and destroy any car I pulled up next to.

I thought maybe X90D plus Mini GP or Lotus would be a good combo. I have a track car and a nice suv but then I realized I’ve been to the track with my 2015 BMW M3 which I replaced with this car and my conclusion was if I wreck my car on the track no insurance company will cover me and track insurance is absurdly expensive so it’s better to go rent racing go karts.

BTW it isn’t 0-60 that’s the most fun it’s 10-90mph. 0-60 you can prepare for 10-90 it’s unexpectedly fast it feels like someone is squeezing my organs.

Then 6 months later my wife’s lease was up she needed a new car so I got her a X100D if I had to only get one XP100D would be my choice. Best of both worlds. You’re on the right track

• Love
Reactions: MagT
Don’t we all have to make this decision, when to replace our current Tesla with the newest/greatest?

It depends on how much money you can and want to spend. Whenever I got mine, it took about 3 months till I started thinking about an new one. I have exercised some sort of self restriction. Won’t buy a new one before 24 months have passed. There will be exceptions (M3 and Roadster).

So far I have purchased 4 Teslas in 7 years.

Probably a trade-off -- if you buy by end of January you get free supercharging for life, but likely Tesla will introduce something new to promote sales within a few weeks after that. If you go on a lot of trips and supercharging is important to you, then maybe buy now. If having the latest and greatest means more, maybe wait and see what's available come March.