Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy repaired Model-X (falcon wing door issue) lemon law buyback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I can get a pretty good deal on a 2017 Model X that was lemon lawed. The carfax lists it as a lemon law buyback and the dealer showed me a declaration from Tesla stating that it was bought back because of a falcon wing door issue (the car was in the shop for over 45 days).

The declaration states that the vehicle has been fully repaired by Tesla. The car went into service is 2018 so the warranty is until 2022.

Would any of you touch this?

Did you find it on a dealer lot, or through other means?

If you can see it in person, and you feel good about the current condition and price, it seems like a viable option. As someone in the market for a Model X, but without the budget to purchase new, I've been tracking prices daily for a long while. With the market fluctuation w/ Tesla's used inventory, I would guess a lot of buyers would be lined up if it's priced aggressively...

In other words, if you don't buy it, someone else will. :)

I would be hesitant to buy from a non-Tesla dealer. Would want a lot of due diligence to know exact history of car (obtained via auction?) and 100% sure of the software features such as autopilot.

And how many miles are on the car? The original warranty is 4 years OR 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

If the dealer is Tesla and not some other 3rd party dealership, i would buy it. My falcon doors are always a problem... occasionally not opening or closing on both side...left wing wouldn't close and right wing wouldn't open. For now, I gave up going to the service center, because they couldn't find the problem and Covid. And if they find the problem, a new problem would come up. Just hold down the button to manually override opening/closing the door.

If the dealer is Tesla and not some other 3rd party dealership, i would buy it. My falcon doors are always a problem... occasionally not opening or closing on both side...left wing wouldn't close and right wing wouldn't open. For now, I gave up going to the service center, because they couldn't find the problem and Covid. And if they find the problem, a new problem would come up. Just hold down the button to manually override opening/closing the door.
Reviving an old thread... Sorry to hear this about your doors. Have you been trying Devon SC? Maybe they would do a ranger visit for adjusting the doors? We've only had our MX about a month but the doors seem to work well. Just makes me sad to hear some are not reliable. They are really cool when working well. I also had a pretty good experience going to Princeton SC, as it is about same distance as Devon for us and appt was available sooner there. (For other things and MCU2 upgrade, not door work...)